Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 08:18 AM

1,338 posts, read 2,565,813 times

Advertisements

does anyone know where I can buy either of these 2 items ?? I live in NY state and have tried both A&P and Stop and Shop...... are there any speciality baking shops I could try ???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2010, 08:52 AM

2,059 posts, read 5,748,978 times
I'm guessing you are using an English recipe (Christmas pudding maybe)?

I'd try looking for a British goods store, there are quite a few of them around.

Old 12-21-2010, 08:55 AM

The Penny Ha'Penny Home Page here's one in CT

Old 12-21-2010, 06:56 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,282,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swisswife View Post
does anyone know where I can buy either of these 2 items ?? I live in NY state and have tried both A&P and Stop and Shop...... are there any specialty baking shops I could try ???
Suet is raw beef fat, usually around the kidneys. that is generally used in puddings and pastry crusts. This is a specialty product and MUST be ordered from a butcher. You will NOT find this in your average supermarket as the large chains bring in all their meats prepackages or in primal cuts.

Do not confuse this with the beef fat sold as suet for birds in the winter.

As for ground almonds, I would get roasted almonds and grind them in a cofee grinder or use a blender.

Hope that helps.

Old 12-21-2010, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Suet is raw beef fat, usually around the kidneys. that is generally used in puddings and pastry crusts. This is a specialty product and MUST be ordered from a butcher. You will NOT find this in your average supermarket as the large chains bring in all their meats prepackages or in primal cuts.

Do not confuse this with the beef fat sold as suet for birds in the winter.

As for ground almonds, I would get roasted almonds and grind them in a cofee grinder or use a blender.

Hope that helps.
Actually it's often found in supermarkets that have little British sections on their international aisle, since it's a common ingredient there and sold in a box on the shelf. It's imported rather than prepared on site.

Old 12-21-2010, 07:37 PM

1,338 posts, read 2,565,813 times
yeah its usually in a box and you make pastry with it. I have a fabulous steamed Steak pudding recipe my husband loves.... the meat takes 2 days and the pastry needs to steam for 4 hours..... but he loves t so what can I do.... I found a british food site - thank you - but my god its expensive .....

Old 12-21-2010, 08:00 PM

Imported British food is sadly. Sadly for me as the food is about the only thing I miss from my country of birth! Glad you found it anyway.

Old 12-21-2010, 08:23 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,282,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagojlo View Post
Actually it's often found in supermarkets that have little British sections on their international aisle, since it's a common ingredient there and sold in a box on the shelf. It's imported rather than prepared on site.
Twenty years ago, MOST small groceries carried suet and it was pretty reasonable. If the OP was in Chicago, I could have found her a quick source for the product as well as leaf lard, which is the pork equivalent.

Old 12-21-2010, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Twenty years ago, MOST small groceries carried suet and it was pretty reasonable. If the OP was in Chicago, I could have found her a quick source for the product as well as leaf lard, which is the pork equivalent.
Then people found out what it was and stopped using it probably!

Old 12-22-2010, 06:19 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
If you use suet quite regularly you might try what I did. I went to the butcher at the local supermarket and explained my predicament at not being able to find suet anywhere to make Christmas puddings and he finally said he'd put me together a bag in the next few days. He did as promised but I took one look at this HUGE bag and it was loaded with meat bits. I explained that that just wouldn't work, it needed to be really clean. He said they clean the grinder the end of every day and would have to clean it and THEN grind the fat for me, thus necessitating two cleanings. He'd already gone to enough trouble and I thanked him profusely and left deciding that Christmas Puds just weren't in my future.

Two days later and I was in the store again and he called me over and presented me with a HUGE bag of beautifully clean and white suet, no charge. I divvied the suet up into small freezer bags and for the next couple of years I made Christmas puddings and all sorts of other steamed suet puddings.

PS: And the butcher got a Christmas Pud for his family too along with the brandy butter!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink