Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 08:05 AM

3,533 posts, read 12,304,805 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvitts View Post
This is good to know! I usually pull back enough to see that I am getting a good ear of corn but then save the rest of the shucking for dinner prep time.

yeah, me to. pull the husk back enough to make sure there's corn all the way to the end.. some times it's had bugs in it or it hasn't grown all the way up the cob... great tip
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2008, 11:12 AM

891 posts, read 3,053,139 times
I strip the kernels off of the cob, put 1/2 stick butter in a skillet and cook it about 4-5 minutes. If the corn doesn't look like it's juicy and sweet I add 1 - 2 tsp sugar.

Old 08-27-2008, 11:31 AM

259,024 posts, read 90,587,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexingtongal View Post
I strip the kernels off of the cob, put 1/2 stick butter in a skillet and cook it about 4-5 minutes. If the corn doesn't look like it's juicy and sweet I add 1 - 2 tsp sugar.
I do basically this method except I like to stir some chopped up fresh jalapeño pepper in the butter that has been flavored with a teaspoon or so of bacon drippings. I think that this tastes much better when done in an iron skillet. I also try to scrap as much of the corn milk off the cob as possible too.

Old 08-28-2008, 10:31 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,899,308 times
It's kind of rude to shuck corn when you are buying it. However, I find it sad that some people have to buy their corn from the grocery store, their corn is so bad you might need to see what you are getting. *shudder* Once it's over 24 hours old the sugars turn to starch and you've got a chewy piece of wood, and usually by the time the grocery store gets the corn it's at least a few days old. We buy ours from local farms fresh from the fields hours earlier. We steam it in a pot on the stove, yum.

Old 08-28-2008, 10:45 AM

3,032 posts, read 8,920,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
FYI: The only animal that gains any nutrietion form corn is the cow. Cat, dogs, horses and humans cannot not digest corn. It's a GIGO food.
Incorrect. Corn actually has the highest level of antioxidants of any grain or vegetable. One cup of whole-grain corn flour has only 5 grams of fat and nearly 16 grams of dietary fiber. Corn contains high levels of potassium, phosphorus, zinc, calcium, iron, thiamine, niacin, vitamin B-6 and folate. The high fiber in corn can help reduce blood LDL cholesterol levels.

Old 08-28-2008, 01:56 PM

3,533 posts, read 12,304,805 times
Talking Support your local famers

Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
It's kind of rude to shuck corn when you are buying it. However, I find it sad that some people have to buy their corn from the grocery store, their corn is so bad you might need to see what you are getting. *shudder* Once it's over 24 hours old the sugars turn to starch and you've got a chewy piece of wood, and usually by the time the grocery store gets the corn it's at least a few days old. We buy ours from local farms fresh from the fields hours earlier. We steam it in a pot on the stove, yum.

i agree, we buy ours at a local farm stand. we don't need to resort to walmart chewy pawed over wood...lol...

Old 08-28-2008, 09:41 PM

2,160 posts, read 7,515,675 times
Agree with cynwldkat...microwaving corn does wonders!!!

I have another suggestion...grilling corn!!! You leave the husks on (important)...and submerge the ears in cold water for about 30 min. This soaks the husks so they dont burn on the grill as easily. Then...grill them about 10 min....turning a little bit every min or two. It gives them a little bit of a smoky taste. You can peel back the husks and use them to hold the ear. Fantastic!!!

Old 08-30-2008, 03:16 PM

2,119 posts, read 3,712,215 times
My fave...

Pop in boiling water just until tender, drain and put back in pot with butter, pepper, salt and garlic.

Old 09-03-2008, 01:03 PM

3,734 posts, read 4,546,558 times
My favorite corn is Sugar and Cream, with the white and yellow kernels, so that's all I eat.

I boil a large pot of water with 3 parts sugar to 1 part salt. For my biggest pot, I use 6T. sugar and 2T salt. I boil the shucked ears of corn for about 4 minutes.

My preferred way of eating them is to slather with butter and sprinkle with salt.

However, I've also enjoyed them the following way: slather with butter, mayonnaise, roll in parmesan cheese, sprinkle with chili powder, and squeeze on a bit of lime juice. This is how street vendors sell them in Mexico City. It sounds a bit weird, but it's delicious!

Last edited by Pivot Point; 09-03-2008 at 01:12 PM..

Old 09-03-2008, 03:11 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,587,345 times
I've had the Mexico City version once and it is very good. I look side ways at it but ate it because I was hungry and was pleasantly surprised. A few places here in FL have it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink