Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2008, 11:28 PM

2,119 posts, read 3,711,943 times

Advertisements

My Mom used to make layered casserole versions and I found that I like that preparation better because it just seems easier.

For pierogi, just layer cooked lasagna noodles, mashed potatoes, cheese and onions lightly cooked in butter and bake.

Stuffed cabbage rolls (or Pigs in the Blanket as we call them.) Alternate layers of cooked cabbage leaves with the rice/meat mixture and top with whatever kind of red sauce you use. My Mom used a ketchup and water mixture (higher ketchup ratio.) I prefer crushed tomatoes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2008, 11:51 PM

2,141 posts, read 7,865,847 times
As someone who has eaten lots of these 2 things my entire ilfe, I will tell you that casserole versions sound weird. Pierogis can be a bit cumbersome to make, but cabbage rolls are really easy. Once you get on a roll, it goes quickly. I would think that in a casserole version, the dish falls apart. The rolls are nice because the filling in contained. I have never had ketchup with them. I agree that crushed tomatoes are better.

Old 09-15-2008, 02:09 AM

431 posts, read 1,202,766 times
I love them and I am cooking both recipes, but the tactics you use for these dishes is so far from the original recipes.

The cabbage dish you describe I met in Hungary where they layer cabbage, meat and rice, and small boiled pasta... and they bake it like this. But that is not Stuffed Cabbage Rolls.

It may be easy to cook them in casserole but I am sure the taste is not there anymore.
Ketchup on cabbage rolls, never heard of it, however I put tomatoes in the recipe... try sour cream or yogurt next time it will taste much better.

These are the traditional stuffed cabbage rolls:
http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn79/Cuisinette/Main%20Meals/Cabbage%20Rolls/06_02_27.jpg (broken link)

Old 09-15-2008, 05:37 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,373,658 times
I grew up with these foods.

My favorite pirogi prep has always been to boil them, then put them in a dish with some melted butter so they don't stick together and put them in the fridge to cool. Later I brown onions in butter and then pan fry the pirogi with the onoins.

Pirogi casserole?

Thanks......................................but I think I'll pass.

There's only so far you should mess with soul food

Old 09-15-2008, 05:48 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,848,116 times
Stuffed cabbage isn't difficult once you get started. I use a large can of tomato sauce mixed with brown sugar, worstershire and lemon juice and serve sour cream on the side.

Old 09-15-2008, 09:35 AM

2,969 posts, read 6,943,791 times
I don't think the Pierogi casserole is such a bad idea I prefer real cabbage rolls though

Old 09-15-2008, 09:23 PM

2,119 posts, read 3,711,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinolala View Post
As someone who has eaten lots of these 2 things my entire ilfe, I will tell you that casserole versions sound weird. Pierogis can be a bit cumbersome to make, but cabbage rolls are really easy. Once you get on a roll, it goes quickly. I would think that in a casserole version, the dish falls apart. The rolls are nice because the filling in contained. I have never had ketchup with them. I agree that crushed tomatoes are better.
You're right, the casserole version of stuffed cabbage rolls doesn't hold shape well at all. I cut everything up before eating anyway so even the rolls are a torn up mess on my plate.

Old 09-16-2008, 06:13 PM

2,834 posts, read 10,765,301 times
I do have a crock pot recipe with the ingredients of cabage rolls...except you leave out the rice and serve it over a bed of rice. Haven't tried it yet....I do prefer the real thing.

Pierogi!!! My Aunt makes Shlogi...(don't ask...I don't know!)

Anyway...It's like homemade Mac and cheese, but while boiling pasta...add small potoat cubes as well. When adding you melted cheese, add a some browned onions to it. It's yummy and quick!

Old 01-02-2016, 12:04 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,758,516 times
It just goes to show that the only rule in cooking is "did you like how it came out?"

Old 01-02-2016, 12:50 PM

3,071 posts, read 8,021,695 times
I love both stuffed cabbage rolls and pierogis. I'm interested in some of the old time recipes of Eastern Europe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink