Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2011, 10:06 PM

901 posts, read 2,387,012 times

Advertisements

Remember the Breakfast Club, when Ally Sheedy's character put Cap'n Crunch on a sandwich and poured the pixie stix candy on it? I thought maybe it would be fun to tell each other about some strange dishes we've made, or maybe talk about certain ways we like to eat food.

For instance, everyone knows about putting ketchup on scrambled eggs. But my grandma and dad used to think it was a bit odd that I'd put maple syrup on hash browns or fried potatoes. Is that really that odd, or does anyone else do it too?

I've also been known to boil some rice, throw in a can of tuna and put some ketchup on it. I usually did that at times when the cupboard was getting bare and I wanted something that had a bit more taste to it than simply rice with tuna.

One of my latest favorites is making stuffing with cut up hotdogs, and mixing in ranch dressing. It's actually not bad.

Oh yeah, I also put sugar in my chili.

'Fess up...what kind of odd things do you do with your food? What kind of unique dishes do you make?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2011, 11:52 PM

4,196 posts, read 6,423,548 times
When I was younger, like 20 something years ago I did alot of NY to FL Travel.
I was deemed "the cook" by my buddys.. One of the things I made and loved by everyone..

Instant mashed potatos, cheese, ground beef and hot sauce.. All mixed together and thrown into the oven with bread crumbs to brown...

I even named it... Puke in a bucket...

Old 01-30-2011, 07:48 AM

7,975 posts, read 7,350,826 times
DH likes peanut butter, pickle, and Miracle Whip sandwiches.

Sometimes, peanut butter, pineapple, and Miracle Whip.

Or cream cheese, pineapple, and Miracle Whip.

Also "egg gravy" - scrambled eggs cooked with prepared brown instant gravy mix.

He makes the above for himself - I couldn't fix them without being sick.

Old 01-30-2011, 08:49 AM

15,971 posts, read 9,384,777 times
French fries dipped in tartar sauce! Just thinking about it makes me hungry.

Old 01-30-2011, 09:26 AM

4,468 posts, read 8,003,004 times
Steamed spinich w/ sugar

P-nut butter sand w/ pickles and lettuce

sardines on rye bread w/ mustard

and Scrambled egg sand on white bread w/mayo and lettuce
That's all for now.
HW

Old 01-30-2011, 09:28 AM

7,554 posts, read 7,101,297 times
I microwave 2 heaping tablespoons of peanut butter and add it to chocolate ice-cream

Old 01-30-2011, 11:14 AM

110 posts, read 363,803 times
My trifle!!!! as much as i love it, its truly under appreciated in America!! Whats not to love about lady fingers, with fruit cocktail and sherry mixed with strawberry jello, then topped with custard top that with whipped cream, now sprinkle with chopped walnuts and crumbled chocolate!!!!! I only make it on holidays though!!!! not the kind of dish to take to a pot luck lunch. Its a layered desert and someone will inevitably stir it!!!

Old 01-30-2011, 01:28 PM

901 posts, read 2,387,012 times
LOL! Whyzazz, that reminds me of the episode of Friends where Rachel tried making a trifle but got the recipe mixed up and put ground beef in it!

Some of these things sound interesting....might have to try that puke in a bucket.

Old 01-30-2011, 05:36 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,347,049 times
Mashed potatoes mixed with apple sauce.

Old 02-01-2011, 12:44 AM
Ode

298 posts, read 753,655 times
I don't usually eat wierd things, but when I was pregnant I did. I made sandwiches from sliced italian bread, miracle whip (mayo just wasn't the same for satisfying my cravings ), canned kippered herring, canned asparagus spears (I know, right? I still don't know what made me add these), and slices of red onion. Then a couple grinds of black pepper. The bread was best when it was very fresh so it was nice and soft, and I liked it sliced thick so it would hold up and not fall apart while I was eating the sandwich.

I would also eat those really crunchy deli type dill pickle spears with either cool whip or that other fake whipped topping, Rich's...the kind that comes in the freezer section in a plastic squeeze bag.

The only strange thing I have eaten, aside from the pregnancy-induced cravings, were deep-fried pickles at the county fair. I also had a deep-fried twinkie. I felt guilty at the time, because I was sure I was eating a sure heart attack. At least it tasted like one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink