Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 08:00 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,258,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
I noticed that Penzeys has a store a couple miles from my house. I'll need to check them out. Thanks!
Remember that Penzeys has an extensive on-line business. Anything in the store is on the website.

I buy a lot of spices and Penzeys generally is very reasonable when compared to the supermarket brands and unlike many of the ethnic stores spices, they are very fresh.

I like that you can buy nearly all of their spices is very small containers.

The Spice House in the Chicagoland area is also owned by the same family. While they offer good spices, I do NOT like their packaging as it generally is much flimsier and I don't like buying spices from bulk containers where people are sticking their hands in it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2011, 03:06 AM

7,974 posts, read 7,346,115 times
We have an "Amish" store close to where we live (a discount grocery frequented by the Amish, run by either Menonite or more progressive Amish). I buy all my bulk foods and spices there - they have no-frills containers of all kinds of different spices, from star anise to thyme, at a fraction of what the grocery store costs. It's like a general store, with everything from work clothes (Amish) to flour and cereals in bulk.

Old 02-03-2011, 05:27 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,269,210 times
If you have an Indian or Asian grocery store in your area they will have an amazing assortment of spices reasonably priced.

Old 02-23-2014, 08:45 AM

10,049 posts, read 18,054,358 times
Default Cost of spices & related (e.g. poppyseeds)

So I want to make lemon-poppyseed-blueberry muffins today. I have a mix (sorry, no time for scratch baking! ) but it's lemon-blueberry and has no poppyseeds. Well, to me it's not a lemon muffin without poppyseeds, so I added those to my grocery list.

Well, so much for that. I checked the spice section at my local grocery store this morning and a 1.25-OUNCE jar of poppyseeds was $5.69!! Seriously?!! Needless to say I did not buy them -- I figured I would check amazon when I got home, and I did, and I can get A POUND for $11.99 (and there are some that are even cheaper than that, but I figured I'd go with a pound -- even the ORGANIC is almost 4 ounces for $4.79, about one-quarter the cost of my local grocery store).

/end rant ... I was just stunned at the cost!

Old 02-23-2014, 08:54 AM

32,632 posts, read 47,964,911 times
Spices and seasonings have gone up steeply in price. In addition to that, many of the stores appear to think that spices are an item that they can mark up generously.

Maybe their hope is that you must have it, you don't buy it often, so you will bite the bullet and just pay for it.

Unfortunately, cheap spices are not worth the purchase price. Spices are things where quality counts and quality costs. There are places and ways to get quality spices and seasonings for less cost. Not cheap, but less than the little bottles at the supermarket. This is where the skill as a shopper can come into play for big savings.

Old 02-23-2014, 09:08 AM

16,176 posts, read 32,481,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
So I want to make lemon-poppyseed-blueberry muffins today. I have a mix (sorry, no time for scratch baking! ) but it's lemon-blueberry and has no poppyseeds. Well, to me it's not a lemon muffin without poppyseeds, so I added those to my grocery list.

Well, so much for that. I checked the spice section at my local grocery store this morning and a 1.25-OUNCE jar of poppyseeds was $5.69!! Seriously?!! Needless to say I did not buy them -- I figured I would check amazon when I got home, and I did, and I can get A POUND for $11.99 (and there are some that are even cheaper than that, but I figured I'd go with a pound -- even the ORGANIC is almost 4 ounces for $4.79, about one-quarter the cost of my local grocery store).

/end rant ... I was just stunned at the cost!
Karen, you are not alone. There is a thread on here about overpriced food items that bug people and spices was mentioned. There is also a thread about overpriced spices and I am going to merge your new thread into the existing thread. I hope your muffins turn out yummy!

Old 02-23-2014, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Spices and seasonings have gone up steeply in price. In addition to that, many of the stores appear to think that spices are an item that they can mark up generously.

Maybe their hope is that you must have it, you don't buy it often, so you will bite the bullet and just pay for it.

Unfortunately, cheap spices are not worth the purchase price. Spices are things where quality counts and quality costs. There are places and ways to get quality spices and seasonings for less cost. Not cheap, but less than the little bottles at the supermarket. This is where the skill as a shopper can come into play for big savings.
I do understand that some brands of spices taste better than others, but honestly, for most of mine I have bought expensive and I have bought cheap and I can virtually never tell the difference -- I don't think my palate is that sophisticated!

Reps anyway for posting!

Old 02-23-2014, 09:19 AM

6,191 posts, read 18,152,211 times
OK, others in the reincarnated part of this thread mentioned smaller markets and I've found that to be true. There is also a specialty foods supermarket near me that sells loose spices, which may be an option if you want to try something new without buying a whole lot.

Yesterday I noted that Spice Island brand Turkish bay leaves were $9.99 at Krogers! Yikes. I need some but figured I'd hold off until I get over to the Middle Eastern store I visit about once a month.

Old 02-23-2014, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
OK, others in the reincarnated part of this thread mentioned smaller markets and I've found that to be true. There is also a specialty foods supermarket near me that sells loose spices, which may be an option if you want to try something new without buying a whole lot.

Yesterday I noted that Spice Island brand Turkish bay leaves were $9.99 at Krogers! Yikes. I need some but figured I'd hold off until I get over to the Middle Eastern store I visit about once a month.
I also noticed it once with sesame seeds -- the odd thing about those was that the sesame seeds in the SPICE section were outrageously expensive, but the sesame seeds in the CHINESE section of the same grocery store were really cheap (and tasted fine!).

Old 02-23-2014, 09:41 AM

6,191 posts, read 18,152,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
I also noticed it once with sesame seeds -- the odd thing about those was that the sesame seeds in the SPICE section were outrageously expensive, but the sesame seeds in the CHINESE section of the same grocery store were really cheap (and tasted fine!).
I'm not surprised!
I've seen black mustard seeds (something I use often) going for between $5-10 per ounce on some online spice vendor sites; and they're about impossible to find in a regular grocery store. However, a little Indian store near me sells a 6-oz bag for $1.99.

There is sadly not a significant Mexican/South American/Asian demographic where I live. However, we rock for Middle Eastern and Indian so I try to reserve the bulk of my spice/legume/hot sauce and oddball food purchases from them. A girlfriend and I do a roughly once-a-month trip to three different stores. Often we'll divide up bags of spices or whatever which makes it even cheaper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink