Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which fat base do you normally use for cooking?
Butter 8 16.33%
Lard 2 4.08%
Margarine 0 0%
Olive Oil 28 57.14%
Vegetable Shortening (e.g. Crisco) 6 12.24%
Other 5 10.20%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2016, 08:59 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,588,415 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
I'd cook with lard if I could find a good old big bucket of it, as I think food has so much more flavor after cooking in it.
Check the Mexican food section of your grocery store. It will say "manteca" on the label.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2016, 09:50 AM

19,497 posts, read 22,389,501 times
Just ask your grocer. Lard is normally sold in the baking aisle on the shelf. I've always found it there.

We make our own leaf lard. My neighbor is a custom butcher and he saves us the parts. I ask for the kidney fat (particularly) to render leaf lard. I store it in quart mason jars in the garage- cool dark place.

All of my cast iron dutch ovens and pans not in regular use get a good coating of lard before getting stored.

Old 02-27-2016, 10:25 AM

5,014 posts, read 6,558,940 times
In my grocery, the lard is in the refrigerated section near the things like pre-done rib racks and ham steaks

Old 02-27-2016, 05:15 PM

19,963 posts, read 30,042,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weezycom View Post
In my grocery, the lard is in the refrigerated section near the things like pre-done rib racks and ham steaks
is that suet,,or lard??

Suet is the hard fatty tissue from around the loins and kidneys of beef, sheep, and other grazing animals that is used in cooking. Suet is rendered to make tallow. Lard is rendered fat, which most often comes from the fat of the abdomen. Please note that the USDA requires the term lard on the beef label. Finally, tallow and lard have a texture similar to vegetable shortening

here's an interesting chart

Lard - where can I find it ??-suet-fat-chart.jpg

Old 02-27-2016, 06:24 PM

1,958 posts, read 924,201 times
I've found lard at the major grocery chains in my area. You can probably also find it at smaller stores in rural settings and at farmer's markets.

Old 03-01-2016, 03:03 AM

21,108 posts, read 13,443,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
My Great aunt and grandmother were raised in the Appalachians. Born i 1892, My great Aunt lived to a ripe old age of 97. What did she cook with until, oh, about 1980? LARD. Didn't hurt her any.
My grandmother, born in 1899, lived to be 94. AND she, too, cooked with lard most of her life. Lard likewise didn't hurt her any much. In the Appalachians, they didn't have modern indoor plumbing until the 70's either!

I'd cook with lard if I could find a good old big bucket of it, as I think food has so much more flavor after cooking in it.

But *sigh* I default to either olive oil {EVOO as Rachael Ray would say} or BUTTER, I am trying to find a farm here that will sell raw milk since it can be done now, so I can make some good old Hand churned butter! FResh from the cow! YUM! YUM! There are plenty of dairy farms around here but to get one that will sell raw milk {now legal} is another story.

I DO save rendered fat from the likes of bacon to use as schmaltz.

Oh the flavors of yesteryear, when food had flavor before it go so unhealthy to use anything to cook with!

I have fond memories of breakfast potatoes cooked in bacon grease!

*yummy*

Old 03-01-2016, 03:05 AM

21,108 posts, read 13,443,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
Lard has a flavor, Crisco does not.
OK - that is probably why it was good for chicken.

Old 03-01-2016, 06:00 PM

19,963 posts, read 30,042,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
OK - that is probably why it was good for chicken.
I think most folks had a tub of Crisco in the cupboard or under the sink...

im thinking my mother cooked frozen crinkle French fries in Crisco and they were sooooo good salted

Old 03-01-2016, 06:30 PM

23,896 posts, read 32,199,228 times
I think lard in disgusting. I was not raised on lard .We never had it in our home. My mom cooked with vegetable oil or butter. We never used bacon fat to cook with either.

I cook with extra virgin olive oil. Or real butter. I like walnut oil, peanut oil, and occasionally I use canola oil.

Old 03-01-2016, 08:22 PM

19,497 posts, read 22,389,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I think lard in disgusting. I was not raised on lard .We never had it in our home. My mom cooked with vegetable oil or butter. We never used bacon fat to cook with either.

I cook with extra virgin olive oil. Or real butter. I like walnut oil, peanut oil, and occasionally I use canola oil.
If you've never had it or used it, how could you find it 'disgusting'?

Actually as a frying medium it is not really worse than peanut oil and vegetable oil (like Crisco) was REALLY bad and for all intent and purposes worse than lard.

Lard Is Back In The Larder, But Hold The Health Claims : The Salt : NPR

Quote:
Sure, lard is healthier if you compared it to partially hydrogenated vegetable oils like Crisco, according to Tong Wang, a lipid chemist and professor in the department of food sciences and human nutrition at Iowa State University. But that's not to say that lard is better than highly unsaturated omega-3 oils, like olive oil, which are considered the healthiest fats out there. "All are relative," she told The Salt in an email. "And the big question is quantity!"
I'm not going to ever say it is healthy, but it isn't disgusting at all (actually it's a rather benign flavor). We use it on occasion but not regularly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink