Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 11:54 AM

786 posts, read 2,655,601 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by swisswife View Post
Ah yes I just found a link......

"What is Served, or Beyond the Grain
In a dramatic reversal of everyday habit, banquets consist solely of special dishes. The meat and vegetables that serve as side dishes at regular meals become the focus, and fan, or grain, which is normally so important that every last grain must be consumed, is relegated to the very end of the meal and guests need only to pick at the fan, indicating their supreme satisfaction. To eat one's rice at a banquet might hint that the host failed to provide enough food."

Chinese banquet customs with asian recipes

When we lived in Hong Kong we were invited to a few formal dinners and thats where we were told before hand what to do..... I just assumed this was normal if you were invited by a Chinese person to a meal and they were paying / cooking.
Could be for special banquets I guess. I don't think that's universal though. Most times when I eat with a Chinese family, everything comes out at one time. You know, most asians don't have the concept of "courses"...everything (except desert) can be put out at one time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2011, 11:59 AM

786 posts, read 2,655,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davachka View Post
I dont touch rice unless its brown or sometimes wild rice. For me, its how can someone eat a dinner without a salad first! That just feels incomplete to me. We have lots of veggie with our meals.
I dunno. Many meals have vegetables mixed in with the dishes, so eating raw vegetables at the beginning probably is not necessary. Also, I always get worried about contamination with insect pieces and other undesirable stuff that can be avoided by cooking.

Old 02-07-2011, 12:00 PM

16,949 posts, read 16,183,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davachka View Post
I dont touch rice unless its brown or sometimes wild rice. For me, its how can someone eat a dinner without a salad first! That just feels incomplete to me. We have lots of veggie with our meals.
Same here - lol. We eat a salad with dinner almost every night. I can switch around which type of meat/protein and side we're having but I've gotta have my salad every night.

Old 02-07-2011, 12:17 PM

72,324 posts, read 18,153,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalim2008 View Post
Could be for special banquets I guess. I don't think that's universal though. Most times when I eat with a Chinese family, everything comes out at one time. You know, most asians don't have the concept of "courses"...everything (except desert) can be put out at one time.
Of course when you go to someone's home,the rice is with the food.
I am saying when you are invited to a Restaurant. I live in California in the San Gabriel Valley where there are so many Chinese Restaurants.

Old 02-09-2011, 05:15 AM

545 posts, read 1,552,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgt04 View Post
Asians also have to have rice everyday with their meals.
Dumplings + noodles are not rice.

People in Northern China didn't eat a lot of rice because rice only grow in wet and warm climates. Of course now they eat it more often because it's easy to transport rice.

Old 02-09-2011, 06:33 AM

4,243 posts, read 7,140,320 times
I rarley ate rice until I moved to California and started eating more "Mexican". For us Central Europeans potatos are the staple, similar to what rice is to Mexican and Asian cooking.

Old 02-09-2011, 06:36 AM

13,032 posts, read 24,557,451 times
I love rice and rice dishes generally but I certainy don't think it would be great with certain dishes... Potato Rosti and rice ?!? I think not. Pizza and rice ? Nope, not for me. Fillet Steak with rice ? Toasted Sandwich and rice ?!?!?!

Some other forms of carbohydrate taste seem to suit certain dishes better. Not everything goes with rice.

Old 02-09-2011, 07:37 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,837,735 times
I would agree that not everything goes with rice. At our house, we mostly think of rice/potatoes/pasta as the carb/starch to a meal, and we only have one of the three. We usually have some kind of potato, although sometimes rice or pasta is more suited to whatever we are having.

Old 02-09-2011, 10:03 PM

17 posts, read 17,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nan5623 View Post
Where???
In the Philippines, eating hotdog (not the bun, just the meat) and fried rice for breakfast is frequently done. And it's awfully delicious, not sure what's in the hotdog

Old 02-09-2011, 10:05 PM

17 posts, read 17,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
I love rice and rice dishes generally but I certainy don't think it would be great with certain dishes... Potato Rosti and rice ?!? I think not. Pizza and rice ? Nope, not for me. Fillet Steak with rice ? Toasted Sandwich and rice ?!?!?!
Out of those you listed, steak and rice is doable. Not sure what potato rosti is, but mashed potato (with gravy) and rice I've done before. The flavored potato took the place of meat or vegetable dish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink