Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2013, 06:13 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,839,921 times

Advertisements

I still remember the time my mom made a Chef Boyardee pizza kit. I dunno what she did, but the bread blew up to Olympian proportions. The crust on the outside was like ....4 inches thick. The inside was normal. We still ate it though. We have a photo of this. Another time, my mom read somewhere that you could substitute mayonnaise for eggs. She made a cake that way. It was dense. It was so dense, we couldn't eat it. The dog wouldn't eat it. We tossed it outside. The chickens wouldn't eat it. The ants wouldn't eat it. I finally ended up burying it in the back yard.

I haven't had too many trips down that road. I think, like Alton Brown, that cooking is a Science.

My mom can make yellow squash with salt, pepper and butter. It is delicious. I've tried making it, over and over again. It's never as good as hers. My version just tastes like a man had beaten some yellow squash, butter and salt/pepper in a pan, and then tried to make it work. It tastes like its components. Blech. My mom's tastes like "I want to have this for every dinner, forever."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2013, 06:45 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,380,609 times
I once baked some mini loaves of bread, that looked delicious....they were in edible. Not sure what happened, they could have been used for door stops.

I no longer bake bread. My family has decided that should not be a hobby for me,

Gravy! It either turns out great, or mush....with lumps.

Old 12-22-2013, 06:55 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,099,661 times
oh my I can bake bread like a chef but as far as a cake or cookies etc forget it ....aint going to happen I dont know why .

Old 12-22-2013, 08:29 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,665,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
I still remember the time my mom made a Chef Boyardee pizza kit. I dunno what she did, but the bread blew up to Olympian proportions. The crust on the outside was like ....4 inches thick. The inside was normal. We still ate it though. We have a photo of this. Another time, my mom read somewhere that you could substitute mayonnaise for eggs. She made a cake that way. It was dense. It was so dense, we couldn't eat it. The dog wouldn't eat it. We tossed it outside. The chickens wouldn't eat it. The ants wouldn't eat it. I finally ended up burying it in the back yard.

You have a great talent for telling a story! OMG, this is so funny. I tried making cream puffs once and they weren't flaky at all. I've made cakes that didn't rise early on when I started baking. Various food failures like that. But, for the most part I'm a good baker now.

Old 12-22-2013, 08:50 AM

2,195 posts, read 2,591,538 times
The first time I ever made home made baked beans was a disaster. I followed the recipe exactly and put all of the ingredients in the pan and into the oven.I cooked that stuff for hours and hours and those beans just would not get done. My new husband was very kind when he said well the sauce on them is delicious anyway.

It was a while before I caught on to the little detail where you have to soak dried beans over night and boil them off before you try to use them in a recipe.

Last edited by shadowfax; 12-22-2013 at 08:58 AM..

Old 12-22-2013, 09:15 AM

317 posts, read 475,039 times
My mom used to make the best Cream of Wheat. It was smooth, creamy, cinnamony, with a perfect crust of sugar on top. Add some milk around the edges, and it was heaven. But no matter how hard I try or how careful I am, I just can't get my own Cream of Wheat to come out. Mine always ends up having a sandy texture and TONS of hard lumps.

The worst dish I ever made, though, was beef and gravy over noodles. I used both flour and cornstarch when thickening the gravy. I don't really know how it happened, but the finished product was gelatinous, slippery, and slimy.

Old 12-22-2013, 09:36 AM

3,440 posts, read 6,551,229 times
Years ago when I was a new wife and trying all kinds of things, I made something called curried eggs. OMG lol I don't think we ever ate anything with curry for years after that. I think that was the only real disaster I ever had while cooking.

Old 12-22-2013, 01:15 PM

5,193 posts, read 5,767,731 times
I don't have any kitchen nightmares to share. The closest I come is when I have prepared meals that I did not care for but my guests thoroughly enjoyed them.

One was lemon chicken. My husband loved it - I did not (I have not tried to cook it again or eat it).

I have tried to prepare Borscht on 2 occasions - my guests loved it. I did not. I was already biased because the first time that I had Borscht it was in a deli/restaurant in California and I loved it. I must have had their Borscht at least a 1/2 dozen times. I may try preparing Borscht again in coming years but will make less until I have perfected the recipe. Then I will make a full batch that I will enjoy eating for leftovers.

Old 12-22-2013, 01:37 PM

16,395 posts, read 30,300,419 times
Quote:
My mom can make yellow squash with salt, pepper and butter. It is delicious. I've tried making it, over and over again. It's never as good as hers. My version just tastes like a man had beaten some yellow squash, butter and salt/pepper in a pan, and then tried to make it work. It tastes like its components. Blech. My mom's tastes like "I want to have this for every dinner, forever."
I had the same problem. I saute yellow onions first until soft. Then, I add the yellow squash, add a little water, and turn the heat on low. Add a little butter.

The lower the heat, the better the taste.

Old 12-22-2013, 01:56 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,768,741 times
Quote:
Reminds me of MFK Fisher's story about the smoked salmon. Did you ever dig it back up to see whether it was still intact? Hers sat -- untouched even by fungus -- all winter on the backyard midden.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink