Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 12:52 PM

1,820 posts, read 4,492,794 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I grew up on fried bologna. The Polish fry it. So do the Hawaiians. Probably others but those are the two I know. For that extra zing I sometimes add some sliced onions to the frying pan. Fried bologna on whilte bread. Delicious.

(My bologna of choice these days is, indeed, Oscar Mayer. I like their low fat, beef bologna. Tastes like my childhood.)
My dad use to make fried bologna sandwhiches once in awhile when we were younger.... we loved it!
Haven't had one in ... probably about 30 years or so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2011, 03:33 PM

1,338 posts, read 2,565,813 times
We go through tonnes of Prosciutto ham.... I buy it at the deli freshly sliced or I smuggle in loads of packets of it from Europe I don't buy any pre packaged meats here they are terrible quality. I get freshly sliced an taste some first. The Black Boar stuff is pretty tasteless IMO. I pay a small fortune for proper Swiss Cheese. The imported stuff as even the deli stuff here is a poor substitute...

Old 03-09-2011, 05:51 PM

5,504 posts, read 6,248,044 times
I switch off every week with different types of Boar's Head cold cuts.

Imported Gourmet Ham
White American
Baby Swiss
Roast Turkey
Roast Chicken
Italian Roast Beef
Hard Salami
Beef Balogna

Always good crusty bread

Old 03-09-2011, 06:05 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swisswife View Post
We go through tonnes of Prosciutto ham.... I buy it at the deli freshly sliced or I smuggle in loads of packets of it from Europe I don't buy any pre packaged meats here they are terrible quality. I get freshly sliced an taste some first. The Black Boar stuff is pretty tasteless IMO. I pay a small fortune for proper Swiss Cheese. The imported stuff as even the deli stuff here is a poor substitute...
Look for Amish-made Baby Swiss. (Or Baby Swiss made in Holmes County, Ohio.) If you don't like that, I don't know what to tell you.

Old 03-09-2011, 06:52 PM

1,338 posts, read 2,565,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Look for Amish-made Baby Swiss. (Or Baby Swiss made in Holmes County, Ohio.) If you don't like that, I don't know what to tell you.
Thank you - we tried the Amish made one and its not great husband made me promise not to buy it again !! lol... but we have found a cheese importer who does goos Gruyere ( should be crunchy like Parmesan) Vacherin and Appenzellar..... just not the cheapest but as everything else food wise is a lot cheaper here than where we have been we can cope

Old 03-09-2011, 07:27 PM

3,085 posts, read 7,249,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caligula1 View Post
I buy Bologna and Deli American
They are sooo expensive.
I thought only kids ate Bologna. How much is it?

Old 03-09-2011, 08:08 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,282,333 times
First, we avoid Boar's Head like the plague. When a small retailer wants to add that brand, Boar's Head wants the owners to remove all of the competition. Plus, it is substantially more expensive than brands of similar quality.

We also avoid Sara Lee products as they are so absolutely bland.

What we do buy:

San Danielle proscuitto
Mortadella
Sopressata
Capicola
Hard salami

Braunschweiger, especially Kahn's and Usingers
Lebanon balogna

No turkey products, ever.

Old 03-10-2011, 11:19 AM

29,745 posts, read 34,389,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Head cheese - it is one "food product concept" I will never be able to wrap my brain around. I mean, what insane person came up with the idea to combine these things together, and form a sliceable loaf out of the finished product?
I'd vote for my people, the Germans. Much like the plains Native Americans felt about the buffalo, the Germans have to use the whole pig.

Old 03-10-2011, 12:45 PM

466 posts, read 815,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post

DH was raised vegetarian and was unfamiliar with a lot of the lunch meat I stocked the refrigerator with after we got married - like bologna. He thought you were supposed to fry it!
People DON'T fry it? I know you can eat it as is, but yick. LOL I grew up in Southern Virgina and we fried it. I prefer mine charred. For a special treat, we would put a Kraft single slice on it and make a sandwich. I probably haven't eaten that in 15 years!

We buy cold cuts, sometimes for the deli, sometimes out of the case. But it usually goes bad before we finish it.

Old 03-10-2011, 02:08 PM

2,053 posts, read 4,816,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post

What we do buy:

San Danielle proscuitto
Mortadella
Sopressata
Capicola
Hard salami
These.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink