Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 08:40 PM

229 posts, read 703,815 times

Advertisements

Why is it that so many restaurants around the Triangle serve margarine instead of butter? It's such a let down to order something nice, and have it show up with a blob of margarine. It's even worse when you specifically ASK for butter and the server shows up with you guessed it, margarine... Ick!

Old 03-07-2011, 09:05 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,238,608 times
I agree...I prefer REAL BUTTER too. And honey butter? Yuck!

Vicki

Old 03-07-2011, 09:08 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,062,587 times
I agree. and as bad as butter is, at least it is healthier for you than margarine. I haven't bought margarine in over 34 years.

Old 03-07-2011, 09:54 PM

1,074 posts, read 3,246,121 times
Actually, nokudzu... Margarine is healthier. You just have to get the non-trans fat kind (soft spread in a tub is better than stick). I use Smart Balance Light and love it.

Butter vs. margarine: Which is better for my heart? - MayoClinic.com

http://www.americanheart.org/present...dentifier=4776

<i>Trans</i> Fat Now Listed with Saturated Fat and Cholesterol on the Nutrition Facts Label (http://www.fda.gov/Food/LabelingNutrition/ConsumerInformation/ucm109832.htm#choice1 - broken link)

Old 03-07-2011, 11:25 PM

476 posts, read 1,676,549 times
I usually use the non-trans margarine, but nothing beats a good slather of butter, especially the salted Euro cream - yum!!! And sorry Vicki, even love honey butter on biscuits!

When I lived in the Triangle I came across the funniest darn thing, a Kroger brand knockoff of "I Can't Believe It's Not Butter". I guess saying that that was just too much effort, and in case there is any question, Kroger's product is simply called... "Butter, It's Not"!

LMBBO! (BB= Buttered Biscuits!) I don't know why that struck me funny every time I saw it I would crack up laughing! The second pic is one I found on the net from AU... gotta love truth in advertising - as IF we couldn't tell when we tried it!

What's the deal with margarine!?!?!-butter-its-not-.jpg

Moderator cut: Inappropriate language

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 03-08-2011 at 07:24 AM..

Old 03-08-2011, 05:03 AM

1,695 posts, read 4,674,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
I agree...I prefer REAL BUTTER too. And honey butter? Yuck!

Vicki
oh i love honey butter!!! preferably on hushpuppies!!!! mmmmmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I agree. and as bad as butter is, at least it is healthier for you than margarine. I haven't bought margarine in over 34 years.

actually, its better for you than butter. at least the non trans fat kind it (which may also be why restaurants tend to use it- wasnt there some law passed awhile back about trans fats or something???

Now, I do prefer to cook with butter - more especially when I am baking. no decent southern cook would make a pie crust with margarine! LMAO

Old 03-08-2011, 06:03 AM

814 posts, read 2,006,728 times
I haven't seen margarine at any restaurants in Raleigh, except for places like Denny's and IHOP. Are you going to chains? I am guessing they do it for the shelf life.

Old 03-08-2011, 07:18 AM

67 posts, read 157,330 times
Butter is not bad for you unless you eat to much of it or you are already unhealthy or you are allergic to dairy and don't take your Lactaid. Your body needs fats - the correct proportion- as well as other natural nutrition. While butter is not on this list top nutritional choices, it is much better than margarine. Margarine is not a natural food. It's a processed food - which is not food in my book.

Not to pick on the poster who posted the link from Mayo Clinic, but just a general statement for thought. Most health-care providers do not want to see you sick. But think about this: if everyone was healthy and well, would they (health-care providers) have any business other than annual physicals and life's injuries? I'm conservative and most definitely not against profit and the free market. But, health-care providers provide their services for a fee, just as everyone else who has a job/business in this country. If we all lived healthy, diseased free lives, the number of health-care providers would be reduced by 99%.

Think margarine is OK because the FDA approved it and hasn't removed it from the shelves of USA markets. WRONG! FDA is a government controlled business. Yes, they're a business too. Anyone wishing to get their product approved by FDA must Pay the FDA handsomely. FDA is owned by Feds. Feds are deep in debt and have been for many years. It's just much worse in recent years. Do you think the government wants people to live in to their 90s and 100s? It would completely devastate (an understatement) an already crippled government to have to pay Medicare benefits to people for that length of time; not to mention retirement pay.

Can you blame all this on margarine? No! Of course not! But, think about the big picture. Margarine is just a piece of the puzzle.

Old 03-08-2011, 07:42 AM

6,297 posts, read 16,092,775 times
Some people (e.g. me) are allergic to soy. Margarine has soy.

I asked one local Asian restaurant that cooked meat and vegetables to order to please not use oil when stir frying my food, please use BUTTER, because the oil they use is soy oil.

The food was good; I was so happy. Later, I was quite sick. That's when I learned margarine has soy, and the restaurant used margarine.

I, too, long for good ol' real butter in local restaurants.

As far as the medical profession wanting only to make money, at one time, I would have argued that point. But this year, a Duke surgeon said "if I wanted" he would be glad to do exploratory surgery to see FOR SURE if I had cancer -- even though he DID NOT THINK I HAD CANCER.

He said most women DO take him up on it, even though 19 out of every 20 surgeries he did showed no cancer. I did not think I had cancer because after making the Duke appointment, I began experimenting with not eating what I'd been eating (yogurt, green tea, almonds -- healthy stuff), I immediately began to feel better. So I don't eat those things anymore, and I'm all better. With cancer, you usually get worse.

How could I think that the DUKE(!) surgeon wasn't looking after his own wealth -- and not my health? Surgery has its risks.

Doctors generally don't like it when patients research medical info on the Internet (even though there are plenty of valid sites), but doing that has saved me more than once from unnecessary and expensive medical costs. Doctors should be doing the researching, but I'm sure they have no time. They are too busy doing unnecessary but profitable procedures.

I don't think margarine is still on the shelves because the government wants to kills us all off in the early years, though.

Old 03-08-2011, 07:43 AM

2,459 posts, read 8,076,672 times
If the darn science didn't keep changing about what is good for us we could all make smarter decisions.

My wife's mom will occasionally start a story from the past with "Back when butter was good for you we would ..."

Frank
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink