Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 06:19 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
I'm sick of the overpriced cupcake craze and I despise red velvet.
I like cupcakes, which are pretty and cute (always good), but I am delighted to hear that I am not the only person who doesn't care for red velvet. They look beautiful but in reality ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marissy View Post
I hope this craze goes away too. Cupcakes are dull and unimaginative. Any one can make them. I wish there was a macaron craze going on, but that will never happen in America. At least not where folks like me could buy them.
If you're ever in Chicago, go to Alliance Bakery, which has a scrumptious assortment. My favorite: pistachio.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2011, 06:45 AM

1,401 posts, read 3,773,974 times
Here's one for you to really roll your eyes at:

TLC's "DC Cupcakes" featuring the sisters/owners/bakers of Georgetown Cupcakes in Washington DC, recently started offering their treats on line at TLC.com GUESS how much for ONE DOZEN????

$39.00. PLUS shipping.

Seriously???? No damn way I'd pay that for 12 cupcakes!

Old 03-10-2011, 07:12 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,877,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgt04 View Post
Its funny because red velvet is nothing more than chocolate cake dyed red.

As others are saying, a REAL red velvet cake or cupcake is totally different than chocolate cake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
No, they arent, the recipes are not very similar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Its ok.....scratch red velvet has buttermilk and vinegar in it......regular chocolate cake doesnt.
Real red velvet cake is heavenly, the commercial mixes and the stuff from WalMart is !

And WITHOUT that nasty cream cheese icing. It is supposed to have a TOTALLY DIFFERENT icing. One that compliments the flavor of a REAL red velvet cake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilli View Post
Not exactly. The red color of traditional red velvet cake is caused by a chemical reaction between the cocoa and vinegar, and it does have a subtly different flavor and especially texture than plain chocolate cake. Of course, lots of "red velvet" cake mixes do use dye instead of calling for vinegar, but they aren't the real thing and they don't taste the same.
The ones I've found at all the cupcake places (Sprinkles being one of THE WORST!) and the box mixes are just NASTY and dry. Not even close to a REAL red velvet in taste or texture.

If anyone wants or needs the recipe to the real thing with the proper icing........ I'll post it. I've been eating them for over 45 years and the recipe came from an older lady my mom got it from in the early 60's that had been handed down for years.

Old 03-10-2011, 07:16 AM

16,904 posts, read 16,127,347 times
If I had a cupcake I would squash it on the floor.

Old 03-10-2011, 07:24 AM

8,534 posts, read 7,404,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post
If I had a cupcake I would squash it on the floor.
Why???

Old 03-10-2011, 08:03 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,032,639 times
I'm fine with cupcakes staying around forever -- I like them, even though I rarely have them -- but what I really want to see end are all the cupcake TV shows (like "Cupcake Wars"). I think that those shows are truly bizarre.

Old 03-10-2011, 08:26 AM

1,052 posts, read 1,648,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
I've been eating them for over 45 years and the recipe came from an older lady my mom got it from in the early 60's that had been handed down for years.
Please post it. I don't care for red velvet cake, but if you stand by it, I would like to try it out the real version and see for myself

Old 03-10-2011, 08:36 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
cupcakes are delicious. ive never actually gone to a cupcake place and purchased one. maybe if they sold them at dunkin donuts id have them sometimes.

Old 03-10-2011, 09:05 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,281,885 times
Considering that there is now a "Cupcake Wars" show on TV I doutb they are going anywhere anytime soon. I plan on trying a $4.00 cupcake very soon to see if it is worth the money. I'm guessing not, but I do want to give one a try out of curiosity.

Old 03-10-2011, 09:11 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
is that what they cost? i go to a place for business every few weeks and there is a new cupcake place right next door. i havent really seen many cupcake places so it has gotten my interest. but i dont really want to pay more than i would for a donut. ive also cut out stopping for donuts and things of that nature, so its gotta really be interesting to me to get it.

i was in newark airport recently for a flight and they must have a cupcake place near the gate that just opened for business before my plane was gonna leave. all the sudden everybody was walking around with cupcakes. they looked tasty and those eating them looked pretty happy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink