Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 12:23 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,693,520 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinacool View Post
I went to NYC for a girls trip last spring and stopping in Crumbs was on the do-to list. Now, we got ours to go and didn't eat them until we got to the airport to come back home, but I was not impressed. It was fine, but not $4 fine.
i think Crumbs is some bakery my brother that lives in manhattan thinks is sooooo wonderful because everything in manhattan is soooo much better than any other place. i find the stuff he brings to holidays to be mediocre. i went to visit my mom in florida recently and found the baked goods she got at Publix was far superior to the stuff my brother brings from manhattan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2011, 12:41 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,049,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i think Crumbs is some bakery my brother that lives in manhattan thinks is sooooo wonderful because everything in manhattan is soooo much better than any other place. i find the stuff he brings to holidays to be mediocre. i went to visit my mom in florida recently and found the baked goods she got at Publix was far superior to the stuff my brother brings from manhattan.
The superiority comes from having the pay so much for so little. Prices on everything in Manhattan are atrocious! Sometimes those who live there equate price with quality - not always so.

Last edited by Cattknap; 03-10-2011 at 12:52 PM..

Old 03-10-2011, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
The superiority comes from having the pay so much for so little. Prices on everything in Manhattan are atrocious! Someone those who live there equate price with quality - not always so.
you wouldnt believe what he paid for his crappy apartment in a crappy area.

the only babka ive ever eaten was what he brought in for holidays. in my trip to florida, my mom brought back some babka from publix. i never really liked the stuff my brother bought but this publix babka was delicious. i gained about 10 pounds that week, gotta love mommy.

Old 03-10-2011, 12:59 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,029,371 times
Quote:
you wouldnt believe what he paid for his crappy apartment in a crappy area.

the only babka ive ever eaten was what he brought in for holidays. in my trip to florida, my mom brought back some babka from publix. i never really liked the stuff my brother bought but this publix babka was delicious. i gained about 10 pounds that week, gotta love mommy.
Now I can't get "The Dinner Party" episode of Seinfeld out of my head.

Quote:
ELAINE: Napoleon? Who's he to have a cake? He was a ruthless war monger. Might as well get Mengle.
JERRY: That wa sour Bobka. We had that Bobka!
ELAINE: What's this one?
CLERK: That's cinnamon Bobka.
JERRY: Another Bobka?
CLERK: There's chocolate and there's cinnamon.
JERRY: Well, we've got to get the cinnamon.
ELAINE: No, but they got the chocolate. We'll be going in with a lesser Bobka.
JERRY: I beg your pardon? Cinnamon takes a back seat to no Bobka. People love cinnamon. It should be on tables at restaurants along with salt and pepper. Anytime anyone says, "Oh This is so good. What's in it?" The answer invariably comes back, Cinnamon. Cinnamon. Again and again. Lesser Bobka - I think not.
CLERK: 49?
ELAINE: I'll have the cinnamon Bobka.
JERRY: … and a black and white cookie, for me. Peace!

Old 03-10-2011, 05:01 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,942,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marissy View Post
I wish there was a macaron craze going on, but that will never happen in America. At least not where folks like me could buy them.
Do you have any panaderias near you? I can't pass up the cocadas at the ones around here.

Old 03-10-2011, 05:15 PM

Showing my Southern California lack of Jewish influence here... but WTH is bobka? Maybe that's why Seinfeld never caught on with me... too NYCish.

Old 03-10-2011, 05:46 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,114,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by satx56 View Post
I'm tired of cake!! Pie for me!!
You're in luck!

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/17/dining/17pies.html

Pies are the new cupcakes.

Personally, I just hate cake. My mother had a catering business and made custom wedding cakes. The smell of baking cake is still slightly nauseating to me.

A good fruit pie on the other hand....yum.

I also think savory foods (and the food truck craze) are poised to take over the super-sweet cupcake market.

Old 03-10-2011, 06:09 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,029,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Showing my Southern California lack of Jewish influence here... but WTH is bobka? Maybe that's why Seinfeld never caught on with me... too NYCish.
It's very dense and is just like a giant chocolate danish.

Chocolate Babka Recipe at Epicurious.com

chocolate babka | smitten kitchen

Old 03-10-2011, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
i never really heard of it except from seinfeld. then my brother and his baby mama come along from manhattan thinking they are king ding a ling and bringing the super amazing manhattan babka.

maybe im a little harder on everything they do because i hate the baby mama. still the babka sucked.

Old 03-10-2011, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
It's very dense and is just like a giant chocolate danish.
I want some and I want it NOW.

Quote:
thinking they are king ding a ling
I like that, king ding a ling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink