Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2011, 01:23 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,748,747 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
Cupcakes dry out pretty fast, not like cake where the frosting keeps it moist for a couple of days. So unless the cupcakes were made that day, they're usually a little unappealing.

Buttercream frosting doesn't have to be gross, it totally depends on the recipe. My recipe has emulsifiers in it so that it's not an oil slick in the mouth, and it gets crunchy edges after a little while. The cheap icing from the grocery store is pretty gross though...if you go to Sams they're selling big tubs of Butt-R-Creme icing, the same stuff Walmart puts on their cakes...I'm not eating anything named "butt" unless it's a pork roast.
Oh my Lord, I thought you were joking. Yuck!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2011, 01:26 PM

236 posts, read 860,767 times
No, cupcakes are aswesome. They're my theme snack!

You live by the cupcake, you die by the cupcake!

Old 03-12-2011, 06:11 PM

16,404 posts, read 30,332,106 times
Among the ten people who I had lunch with, they prefer to make and eat cupcakes as they are single portion. Who wants to make up a huge cake and throw half of it away?

We are still eating the pie my wife baked a week ago.

Old 03-12-2011, 06:25 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,777,008 times
i was in the barnes and noble today (wife needed some vampire book) and i saw tons of cupcake books. so they seem to be very popular these days.

Old 03-12-2011, 08:35 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,748,747 times
You know what I'm seeing now? Cake pops.

Old 03-13-2011, 03:44 AM

4,196 posts, read 6,433,014 times
My least two favorite shows on TV were Ace of Cakes and Cupcake wars. Ace of Cakes is over and done with now, hopefully soon to be followed by the cupcake show...

Old 03-13-2011, 01:44 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,913,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
You know what I'm seeing now? Cake pops.
Cake pops were created as a way to use the scraps from cakes...take the domes you trim off of your cake (so it will sit level) and add some leftover frosting. People were making cake balls or cake truffles (the difference is how much you want to charge for it, a cake truffle is more expensive than a cake ball although it's the same thing) for a few years before the cake pop fad really got started.

Old 03-13-2011, 02:09 PM

96 posts, read 290,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgt04 View Post
Its funny because red velvet is nothing more than chocolate cake dyed red.
This is all too true. I have researched many a Red Velvet recipe and I just can't bring myself to put that much dye in anything. Most recipes call for 1-2 oz. of dye--that's 1-2 full bottles of dye!!!!! I have tried in vain to find natural substitutes, but I have had no luck. The only thing I can think of is using pureed beets, but I guess I don't like Red Velvet enough to experiment.

Old 03-13-2011, 03:00 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,913,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesusitadelnorte View Post
This is all too true. I have researched many a Red Velvet recipe and I just can't bring myself to put that much dye in anything. Most recipes call for 1-2 oz. of dye--that's 1-2 full bottles of dye!!!!! I have tried in vain to find natural substitutes, but I have had no luck. The only thing I can think of is using pureed beets, but I guess I don't like Red Velvet enough to experiment.
India tree makes natural food colorings. I think it would make for a pretty expensive red velvet cake. Their red is made from beet juice and citric acid.

When I make red velvet, which I don't care for personally but sometimes I make adult theme cakes, and the guys seem to like red cake on the inside, anyhow, when I make red velvet, I usually use Americolor Super Red, which takes a lot less color to get the job done and doesn't add any taste to the batter. It's definitely not all-natural though.

Old 03-13-2011, 04:19 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,823,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
Cake pops were created as a way to use the scraps from cakes...take the domes you trim off of your cake (so it will sit level) and add some leftover frosting. People were making cake balls or cake truffles (the difference is how much you want to charge for it, a cake truffle is more expensive than a cake ball although it's the same thing) for a few years before the cake pop fad really got started.
Using leftover cake to make a new creation, is something I learned about in the 80's. I worked for a coffee shop that did business with a local bakery. The bakery would bring in these amazing cheesecakes, velvet cakes, german chocolate cakes, pies of various types, and this one thing THEY called "mud cake." It was not what I've seen referred to as "mud cake" these days. Here's what it was:

All the leftover cakes and cookies from the end of the day's baking, pressed into a cake pan one layer at a time, with chocolate chips inbetween each layer, and the whole thing covered with a thin coating of made-from-scratch chocolate frosting, topped with shaved bittersweet chocolate and swirls of colored sugar piping for decoration.

It was never the same twice. My absolute favorite was always when there was a layer of carrot cake and dutch chocolate cake and oatmeal raisin cookies. The german chocolate and turtle pie cheesecake mudcakes, not so much. But they were very popular.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink