Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 11:38 AM

796 posts, read 506,280 times

Advertisements

I have been eating healthy for the last 6-7 weeks and I noticed it costs a lot more. Like when I eat out...I don't eat any fried foods, burgers, etc. and I eat at fast food places like Boston Market, Wendy's (salads), Taco Bell (diet fresco tacos), Chipotle/Qdoba Mexican Grills (salads, burrito bowls, tacos...with no sour cream and very little cheese), KFC (grilled chicken), etc. and stay away from McDonald's, Burger King, Popeyes, Bojangles, Long John Silvers, etc. due to the lack of healthier choices. When I grocery shop, I buy a lot of fresh fruits and veggies and sometimes frozen. I eat one greek yogurt (without high frutose corn syrup and geletin) every morning and they are better for you but more expensive. I buy certain meats and fish like salmon, boneless skinless chicken breasts and boneless skinless chicken thighs, talipia, pork lion, etc. I buy quaker weight control oatmeal and sometimes I have carbs like 100% wheat bread, brown rice, wheat pasta, etc. but try to cut carbs in the evening times and have them in the morning and for lunch. I also heard that you can eat carbs but you can't mix them with meat...like either eat carbs and veggies or meat and veggies due to the way the body digest them together. Is this true? Also for snacking I eat fresh fruit like mixed berries (strawberries, black/blueberries, and raspberries), bananas, oranges, melons, apples, etc. I also don't eat chips unless they sun chips, pretzels or baked lays. I eat trail mixes without candy...you know the healthier ones with dried berries, cranberries, raisins, almonds, and other nuts. I also like dried pineapple.

Now I have lost 10 lbs in the past 6 weeks and look better in my clothes but all this healthy eating is more expensive. How can I cut costs but eat healthy because eating fast food from the value menu is cheaper as well as ramen noodles and cheap chips. Also am I doing anything wrong with my current eating habits as far as losing weight and becoming healthier goes??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2011, 03:16 PM

3,115 posts, read 7,142,566 times
First off, I would say that the best thing you can do to save money is stop eating out so much. Whether it's a healthy choice or not, food that is already prepared for you is more expensive. If you are getting your lunch out, try taking a lunch to work instead.

I know there's a lot of different info out there about combining foods. For me, my body has trouble with carbs alone, so I ONLY eat carbs with protein. Some examples to help you: whole grain cereal with milk (I typically eat Cheerios or Post Raisin Bran (it doesn't have HFCS like Kellogs)), banana or apple with peanut butter or nuts, a couple of triscuits with string cheese, carrot sticks and hummus, etc. Your body may be different, but for me this is the best way, and I've actually seen something change in my body with this diet style that in the past only happened with medication.

As for trail mixes, you can save money by buying the ingredients separate rather than purchasing the mix already made. It's great that you are making better choices about the chips, but chips are still junk food, even if they are the "healthier" version. I'd eat them in moderation.

I don't find that eating real food is more expensive than a junk food lifestyle. In fact, I think it's the opposite. I typically only spend $50-$75 per week on food for myself and my husband. This includes all meals - breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks. I cook from scratch as much as possible and use very few processed foods. It really helps me to make a menu for each week and only shop off of my menu. I also plan several vegetarian dishes each week, and this saves on the cost of meat.

Congrats on losing the 10lbs, and don't give up!

Old 04-07-2011, 09:25 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,594,419 times
My great grandfather was a farmer and worked his farm till he died at age 93. I would say that at least 80% of his diet was oatmeal. I guess that being good Scots men our Genes allow us to live quite well on that plus a little "water of life" snort now and then!

Old 04-08-2011, 05:19 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,918,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalgirl View Post
First off, I would say that the best thing you can do to save money is stop eating out so much. Whether it's a healthy choice or not, food that is already prepared for you is more expensive. If you are getting your lunch out, try taking a lunch to work instead.
I agree!

Old 04-08-2011, 05:27 AM

2,186 posts, read 7,952,394 times
Definitely stop eating out altogether. Plan a menu - there are plenty of programs out there that give recipes and shopping lists for a week or even a month that help you buy only what you need. The key is following that principle. Most people shop for each meal separately instead of combining everything or at least picking dishes with similar ingredients and in the end, you have a lot of wasted food. Eating healthy isn't more expensive generally, it is just that there is a transition with learning to balance everything out. Regardless, I would never eat out in my quest to be healthy because it is well known that although dishes are labeled healthy, you have no control over how they are really being cooked.

Congratulations on losing so much weight.

Old 04-08-2011, 05:57 AM

10,782 posts, read 8,734,283 times
Buy in bulk and make a batch of whatever that you can use for several meals. For example, I buy a large tray of chicken breasts on special, then pan fry it all up - lightly floured with s&p, non-stick pan with a bit of olive oil and garlic, brown it on both sides, squeeze in some fresh lemon juice, maybe a splash of white wine, finish it in the oven. Eat some for that meal, then store the rest away and use for salads for lunch, or in sandwiches, wraps, or whatever you like.

We'll take our lunch to work and sometimes it'll consist of mixed greens, tomatoes, & the pre-made chicken. I'll also make my own vinaigrette and put a serving in those little plastic containers they make especially for salad dressings. It's not just economical but time-saving too.

During cooler weather, make a big batch of soup or stew. Freeze in portions. Bring that in for lunch (assuming your workplace has a microwave).

Yeah, congrats on the weight loss. Wow, 10lbs! That's pretty substantial. I know how hard that is to lose.

Old 04-08-2011, 07:51 AM

438 posts, read 1,701,180 times
I agree with everyone that says STOP EATING OUT period. Maybe allow yourself to go out to eat at a fast food place once a month and bring your lunch the rest of the time. Fast food is loaded with sodium and all that other crap, even if it SAYS it's healthy. We bring our lunch everyday and it usually consists of half of a turkey sandwich, yogurt, half of an apple, mini carrots and snap peas, and pistachious which help your salt craving. It doesn't sound exciting but you don't feel bogged down after you eat it like fast food. Also drink LOTS OF WATER. This might be the most important thing. Skip the soda and try to drink at least 64 OZ of water throughout the day. I try to drink 32OZ before lunch then 32OZ before I leave for the day. At first you will go to the bathroom every half hour but your body gets used to it after a week or so. This will help you lose weight, trust me. Also EXCERCISE!! At least 3 times a week, for at least a half hour. Cardio will build up your metabolism. Even if you are just walking on a treadmill for a half hour, you need to get your blood pumping. All of this combined will increase your metabolism and start shedding the pounds, but you have to be committed. It's not the most fun eating healthy, trust me, but it's what you have to do. You also have to make it your lifestyle or else you will just go back and forth gaining and losing weight. It's a total lifestyle commitment. We try to eat super healthy during the week then let loose a little bit on the weekends, it makes the unhealthy meals that much better! But you HAVE to excercise in order to sneak in the unhealthyness once in awhile...Hope some of this helps???

Old 04-08-2011, 10:33 AM

986 posts, read 1,668,280 times
I have to agree...if you can, stop eating out, try to eliminate as much processed food as possible, and start cooking your own food.

On Sunday, I use the day to cook a meal or two for the week...for example, chili in the crockpot; roasted chicken and veggies, etc.

Processed food and/or fast food is loaded with all kinds of fats, sodium, sugar, HFCS, etc. Not to mention if you're cooking it yourself, you know what you're putting in your food.

Congrats on your weight loss so far! Keep up the good work and try to stay away from the fast food.

Old 04-08-2011, 10:43 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,768,542 times
shop at costco and dont buy stuff that costs more because its supposed to be healthy. greek yogurt is no healthier than regular yogurt. its just strained so its more dense. your weight control oats are no better than the rolled oats i get at costco for 68 cents a pound. all your "wheat" things like pasta and bread are costing you a premium for no benefit. fish is more expensive than chicken, i buy boneless skinless chicken breasts for most of my meat needs. look through the circulars, coupons, etc. for the best deals.

Old 04-08-2011, 10:46 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,443,360 times
Stop eating out and buy in bulk. Recycle meals, too.

For ten bucks, I can make a lentil stew with bell pepper, tomato, onions, limes, spicy peppers...and it will last 10 meals. And that's shopping at a regular pricey grocery store. A buck a meal for healthy eating...

You can buy chicken breast, salmon fillets, etc, at Costco for really, really, really cheap.

It's not eating healthy that costs more. It's the same as eating unhealthy - demanding variety of taste just for the sake of enjoyment/entertainment costs money, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink