Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2011, 03:53 PM

1,882 posts, read 4,617,795 times

Advertisements

I'm sure tv and video games have nothing to do with lazy...er I mean obesity.

Out of all the ingredients, some of you say it was hfcs that caused you problems......yet people say it is in everything. I think the Media is a bad ingredient.

What is next? Wheat! Quit raise'n wheat cause that is used to make bread and when I eat too much bread I get fat. Like pizza, pasta, cake....etc. Lets go after wheat next cause it gets boring going after just one thing. Just joke'n and have'n fun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2011, 04:16 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,983,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Cave Man View Post
I'm sure tv and video games have nothing to do with lazy...er I mean obesity.

Out of all the ingredients, some of you say it was hfcs that caused you problems......yet people say it is in everything. I think the Media is a bad ingredient.

What is next? Wheat! Quit raise'n wheat cause that is used to make bread and when I eat too much bread I get fat. Like pizza, pasta, cake....etc. Lets go after wheat next cause it gets boring going after just one thing. Just joke'n and have'n fun.
The body doesnt metabolize HFCS and sugar in the same way....your post is a bit over-simplistic.

Old 04-18-2011, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
The body doesnt metabolize HFCS and sugar in the same way....your post is a bit over-simplistic.

But it is still metabolized, right?

Old 04-18-2011, 08:42 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
Quote:
But it is still metabolized, right?
Yes, but in a significantly different way:

All of the cells of your body are able to metabolize glucose but they cannot metabolize fructose. Your liver must metabolize it.

When you eat HFCS it goes directly to your liver where it is converted to fat. If you have too much fat being stored in your liver, it can cause damage.

HFCS prevents your pancreas from releasing insulin. Without insulin, you may not recognize when you're full. If you don't know when you're full, you may not stop eating until you have eaten way more calories than you actually need.

High Fructose Corn Syrup, Good Or Bad?

Old 04-18-2011, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Yes, but in a significantly different way:

All of the cells of your body are able to metabolize glucose but they cannot metabolize fructose. Your liver must metabolize it.

When you eat HFCS it goes directly to your liver where it is converted to fat. If you have too much fat being stored in your liver, it can cause damage.

HFCS prevents your pancreas from releasing insulin. Without insulin, you may not recognize when you're full. If you don't know when you're full, you may not stop eating until you have eaten way more calories than you actually need.

High Fructose Corn Syrup, Good Or Bad?
Brings us back to moderation and self control.

Great info, Jtur!

Old 04-18-2011, 11:48 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,415,942 times
Quote:
Brings us back to moderation and self control.

Great info, Jtur!
Yet, how difficult is it to be moderate and have self control, when our very cells feel starved and deprived, making us hungrier than if we hadn't eaten anything at all? That is the irony of consuming HFCS.

Old 04-18-2011, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Yet, how difficult is it to be moderate and have self control, when our very cells feel starved and deprived, making us hungrier than if we hadn't eaten anything at all? That is the irony of consuming HFCS.
The control is in the hunger "pains". Try and eat half of what you normally do, walk away. In 1 hr see how you feel, yep full. When I drink a "pop" and am still thirsty, I don't grab another can, I go for water(which I should have drank in the first place). If your over 25 or (at most) 30, you should know how much food you need. WANT is what makes us fat and there is nothing wrong with that every once in a while.

From my previous post.

"Corn syrup, like the kind you might find in your kitchen cabinet, is unlike table sugar because it contains no fructose. In order to make corn syrup taste more like the sugar we’re used to, scientists developed a method of naturally boosting the amount of fructose in corn syrup to make it comparable to table sugar.
Calling HFCS “high” in fructose is a misnomer, because it has no more fructose than table sugar or honey.
Specifically, there are two common types of HFCS: “HFCS-55” and “HFCS-42,” which contain 55 percent fructose and 42 percent fructose, respectively. The remainder is made up of glucose.
For comparison, table sugar from sugar beets or sugar cane is composed of 50 percent fructose and 50 percent glucose. HFCS-55 has a similar fructose ratio to honey."

Old 04-19-2011, 09:42 AM

1 posts, read 1,043 times
Hi,
The reason why organic foods don't contain HFCS is two fold. First, since 85% of corn grown in the
US is produced from a GMO (genetically modificed) seed, there is a high probability that corn
grown for HFCS production is GMO. Organic foods are GMO free.
Secondly, organic foods are grown without toxic herbicides and pesticides. Corn grown for
HFCS production is treated with herbicides and pesticides.

As to you question about the prevalence of HFCS in so many foods. HFCS is used not only as a sweetener. It is also used as a preservative, a bulking agent, and my favorite, a protein cross-
linker. HFCS, due to its viscosity, was used for many years as a repacement for oil in low cal
low fat salad dressings. The free fructose in HFCS easily cross links proteins in baked foods giving
them a more even browning. However, those fructose-protein glycations lead to AGE, advance
glycation end products which are harmful to cells. (ours not the bread).

Old 04-19-2011, 09:57 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times
Quote:
When you eat HFCS it goes directly to your liver where it is converted to fat.
i think this is comical. im supposed to buy into this statement because they say it? they think people are such mindless sheep.

Old 04-19-2011, 10:01 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,766,126 times
Quote:
As far as I can tell, both the USA and Canada now use HFCS in nearly all soft drinks. I'll present these statistics without comment:

Consumption of soft drinks, per year, per capita:
USA 200 liters, Canada 95 liters. (Three cans to a liter)

Percentage of population with Body Mass Index above 30:
USA 30.4, Canada 14.8.

Ratio, USA:Canada:
Soft drink consumption, 2.10:1
Obesity rate, 2.05:1

No, wait. I will add a comment. My supermarket started offering a cane-sugar line of soft drinks a couple of months ago, and I switched to that. I drink about 4 cans a week (70 liters a year). In that time, I have lost about 5 pounds, and as far as I can tell, I've made no other changes in my diet or lifestyle. (My BMI is 23.)
Your "data" is comparing total consumption of soft drinks containing the same ingredients, between Canada and US. The conclusion is that Americans drink twice as much as Canadians.

This leads to the actual conclusion, that is relative to the topic of this thread:

Americans aren't more obese because their food has HFCS in it. They're obese because they consume twice as much as Canadians.

Your comparison is like saying that the smoke flavor of bacon causes obesity, and proof is that people eating 2 pounds a month of bacon get more obese than people eating only one pound a month. The fact is, it's the "eating two pounds of mostly fat" that's causing the obesity, not the smoke flavor.

To answer the OP's actual question: HFCS isn't organic, and it's not natural (meaning, you can't go to a farm and cut a stalk of corn syrup, or tap a corn tree and out comes corn syrup), or dehydrate a corn stalk and extract the crystallized sugar from it. It's a processed ingredient. That's why you don't see it on a lot of organic or truly natural commercial products.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink