Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2014, 07:04 PM

22,653 posts, read 24,575,170 times

Advertisements

Head to the greatest restaurant in the world, JITB!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2014, 07:29 PM

19,499 posts, read 9,525,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
Ahhhh .... but a decrease in the amount of food is a GOOD thing! We are a nation of overweight overeaters. It isn't healthy.
I could never finish what I eat in one sitting most of the time anyways. Good thing there's take out bags or boxes. Makes a great left over meal the following day (or whenever).

Old 11-02-2014, 07:36 PM

2,700 posts, read 4,936,320 times
We did this in Vegas last year... Had 8 people and the menu they gave us while we waited was the M-F menu and this was Saturday.. When we got those menus, they not only were like 5 times the prices of the other menu they didn't have a lot of what we (adults and kids alike) were interested in....

Got up and walked out...

Old 11-03-2014, 06:58 PM

20,928 posts, read 28,397,897 times
What would you do if you walk into a restaurant you can't afford?
Well I wouldn't do that. I would do a little research online or ask people if they have been there and how much it is. I almost always have an idea how much a restaurant is going to be before we go. We belong to Open table.com and they usually give a price range or we check out the restaurant's web site. If we can afford it that night we go if not we save it for a time when we can afford it and try a less expensive place. I have been to places ranging from $20 a plate to $75. These days we stick to dining in mostly with the occasional going out for our Birthdays and our Wedding Anniversary.

Old 11-03-2014, 07:12 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,813,691 times
I would make an excuse and leave. I wouldn't say anything about the prices. What's funny is that I never had that happen in a restaurant as I research it beforehand. I've had it happen to me at groceries/butchers/fish mongers. I've had sticker price shock and not know what to do.

Old 11-03-2014, 07:15 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,157,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhe1982 View Post
You walk into the restaurant.you have no idea how expensive it is until you see the menu. But you can't afford it. what would you do?
Easy, turn around and walk out. You never go into a restaurant and be seated unless and until you have checked the prices -- that is a rookie move.

Old 11-03-2014, 07:32 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,377,476 times
Never happened before. But I have left many restaurants because I felt the prices were unreasonably high. I usually leave a small tip and tell them I've had a change of plans. If this did happen however, I'd do the same.

Old 11-03-2014, 08:21 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,813,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusNexus View Post
Never happened before. But I have left many restaurants because I felt the prices were unreasonably high. I usually leave a small tip and tell them I've had a change of plans. If this did happen however, I'd do the same.
I had to ask, what's the difference from the OP ' S question? You left the restaurant as the prices were too high right?

Old 11-04-2014, 08:16 AM

9,153 posts, read 9,486,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
I would make an excuse and leave. I wouldn't say anything about the prices. What's funny is that I never had that happen in a restaurant as I research it beforehand. I've had it happen to me at groceries/butchers/fish mongers. I've had sticker price shock and not know what to do.
I've had it happen at the grocery too. I've only bought mushrooms by the pound. So one day I wanted a big ****ake and saw a sign that said $5. There were already 2 people picking out their mushrooms, so I just reached in and grabbed 2 ****akes and thought they were about .25 lb. -- so a dollar or two.

It wasn't till I got home and checked the receipt that I discovered that the $5 price was for EACH. Yikes! Never would have paid that much had I known!

I've never really been surprised by restaurant prices either. I live in a smallish town, and everyone knows which restaurants are super pricy - there are only 3 or 4. But still, I've gone to dinner with friends 2 different times where they complained about prices. The thing was, they weren't even pricy restaurants!

We were going out before an event each time, once the opera, so we wanted to have an nicer dinner. We KNOWINGLY went to a dress-up restaurant, but each friend looked at the menu and said "oh, I'd love X but really shouldn't spend $12 tonight. I'll just have the Y because it's only $9."

What??? On a special night you can't spend $3 more for the item you really want??? Is this a thing women like to do? Cause it happened with more than one.

Old 11-04-2014, 11:49 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,264,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
What would you do if you walk into a restaurant you can't afford?
Well I wouldn't do that. I would do a little research online or ask people if they have been there and how much it is. I almost always have an idea how much a restaurant is going to be before we go. We belong to Open table.com and they usually give a price range or we check out the restaurant's web site. If we can afford it that night we go if not we save it for a time when we can afford it and try a less expensive place. I have been to places ranging from $20 a plate to $75. These days we stick to dining in mostly with the occasional going out for our Birthdays and our Wedding Anniversary.

There are thousands of restaurants out there that do NOT post their prices. Besides, a lot of times, most of us do no6 have the time to look up every restaurant on the web for their prices.

Personally, if restaurants would POST their menus outside in front of the restaurants like they do in Montreal, this situation would not happen.

By the way, the last time this happened to me, the restaurant had an $8.95 special posted on the board outside. The LOWEST priced entrée was $30+. I questioned the waiter who said, "That is our LUNCH special.". I thanked him and left the restaurant. There was nothing on the sign to indicate that the specials were only available at lunch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink