Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 10:51 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,591,034 times

Advertisements

what has everyone been curious about trying (but afraid to)?. I tried frogs legs at a french restaurant once.

I do like oysters (cooked) like Oysters Rockefeller, but am afraid to try the raw ones. What else has everyone else tried? sushi I have the average non-daring kind-lol.

sunny
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2007, 03:39 AM

1,224 posts, read 3,374,088 times
I love the show BIzzare Foods , I allways tell my husband what a cool job, ya get to travel and try different things. I think I would pretty much try anything, as long as its not alive when eating it. I have eaten small grubs before, they were toasted, not bad. MY husband recantly went to Japan and I think he was a bit relived that I could not go this time(on account I would havetried to get him to eat all sorts of weird stuff)

Old 08-01-2007, 04:06 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,625,061 times
I was pretty grossed out with the idea of eating crickets and grubs, but once I actually tried it, it was really very nice.
I would never eat anything alive but I am otherwise fairly open to new stuff. I have never been that keen on offal and things like tripe,heart and lungs are not exactly my favourite things in the world but Haggis for example is actually very nice as the offals are "disguised" into the dish.
I think we all have certain food prejudices but I try to be fairly open. I used to hate oysters as a child and now love them... I could happily exist on Sushi, Ceviche and Steak Tartare so you could say I have a thing for raw foods ! Of normal everyday foods I hate cooked spinach ( raw is fine), lamb and celery. I will eat all of those but just really don't like them at all !

Old 08-01-2007, 05:47 AM

3,377 posts, read 14,626,395 times
I would love to eat Leitao Assado (roasted suckling pig) in a seaside restaurant in the AlGarve region of Portugal

Old 08-01-2007, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exhdo1 View Post
I would love to eat Leitao Assado (roasted suckling pig) in a seaside restaurant in the AlGarve region of Portugal

Yumm......Not that unusual though is it ?

Old 08-01-2007, 07:04 AM

6,023 posts, read 14,064,665 times
I am very persnickety about what food I eat and I never would try octopus until I caught one myself and a neighbor told me to just eat the cheek and sell the tentacles to the fish market ! I lived at Salmon Beach in Tacoma Wa. It's a funky little village on pilings over the water at the base of a cliff. (Google Salmon Beach Tacoma, very interesting). Anyway the tentacles are very rubbery but the cheek is very good and tender. The cheeks never make it to the fish mongers, too darn tasty for the octopus hunters to sell.

Old 08-01-2007, 07:19 AM

3,674 posts, read 10,603,652 times
I work with a very international group of coworkers. We had a conversation about foods were grew up with and could be considered unusual shall we say. The standard bizarre foods like balut and durrian came up, but it wasn't until then that I thought about the foods I grew up with as being unusual. I grew up on frog legs, quail, squirrel, rabbit, venison, all kinds of greens, catfish, oysters, eel, squid.....etc, etc, etc....

I always viewed these foods as common and never knew I was into exotic eating as a child.

I still have not intentionally ventured into the insect world or the asian fermented foods to any extent, so roasted grasshoppers and balut have not been attempted, but perhaps some day under the right circumstances.

Old 08-01-2007, 08:08 AM

1,833 posts, read 6,426,109 times
I traveled internationally for over 25 years, there isn't much I haven't tried and likely more I didn't even know what it was.

Old 08-01-2007, 09:00 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,406,757 times
I ate a bunch of sushi and hated it. Spent the whole night throwing up. Id like to try snake or something, they used to have a party here where they cooked snakes at it too.

Old 08-01-2007, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
I ate a bunch of sushi and hated it. Spent the whole night throwing up. Id like to try snake or something, they used to have a party here where they cooked snakes at it too.

Must have been bad fish. I have eaten Sushi and Steak Tartare all my life and have yet to be sick once ! Shame though about your experience as you are unlikely to ever want trying it again !
Becoming a Sushi chef ( Master) takes seven years and real Sushi is out of this world....
Snake is OK , quite delicate flavour but not one of my favourite.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink