Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2011, 07:21 PM

17,534 posts, read 39,126,512 times

Advertisements

I used to eat at buffets (especially Chinese) quite a bit, but they do not appeal to me now. Way too much food, and most of it pretty mediocre and tastes like it's been sitting out past it's prime. I always ended up eating way more than I would normally eat. And quite frankly, it became unpleasant to watch some people making utter pigs of themselves there.

I much prefer to just buy exactly what I want to eat. Fact is, I cook most of my meals anymore (for me and hubby). When we do go out, we like to go to a fairly nice place and get waited on. I do realize that many people love buffets for a variety of reasons, and that's cool.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2011, 11:16 PM

1,956 posts, read 4,875,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
I can put some food away. Or I used to, not so sure of that anymore.
When I was younger, I use to go up 7-8 times in the buffet. Now, I can only go up 3-4 times. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post

The mexican place I like for lunch does buffets 3 days a week, but I always order off the menu instead. They don't serve the specific beans that I get on my menu-ordered plate for the buffet. I could pay around the same price for 3 tacos, rice, no beans, extra pico, extra cheese... or I could get 1 taco, rice, beans, and they usually just give me the extra pico and cheese anyway. I don't really want three tacos. It's too much food for me. And I really like their beans. So I don't mind paying the same for less quantity of food, when I get exactly what I want, with no waste.
OMG, a mexican buffet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
I DO....but I always find I'll eat twice at much to make sure I get my money's worth. I end up feeling all miserable after I'm done.
My toilet feels miserable everytime I get home from the buffet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
I'm a total pig, so I think a buffet is hog heaven!

We went to a sushi buffet once. It was like a dream come true.

I am also a pig.

Old 05-02-2011, 01:24 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,654,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony22 View Post
When I was younger, I use to go up 7-8 times in the buffet. Now, I can only go up 3-4 times. lol

OMG, a mexican buffet.

My toilet feels miserable everytime I get home from the buffet.

Um, especially a Mexican buffet. I can't eat beans without my stomach feeling horrible.

Old 05-02-2011, 01:29 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,176,801 times
The only time I have any interest in a buffet is if it involves some sort of cuisine that I haven't tried or am just starting to become familiar with. Then it can be a quicker way to get an overview of what that cuisine is like than odering one dish at a time over multiple visits. Plus you can take small portions and not have to waste any food, whereas if you order a full dish of something you're not familiar with and it turns out you don't like it, you just wasted food and your money.

As for the rest... most buffets just suck. The food is usually mediocre right out of the kitchen, and then it just gets worse as it languishes under the heat lamps. Some small-volume, higher-end buffets can be quite good. But those are a lot harder to find amongst the sea of Ryan's/Old Country Buffet/Golden Corral/nasty faux-Chinese/etc.

Old 05-02-2011, 02:08 AM

1,074 posts, read 1,797,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SXMGirl View Post
I am one of the few who does not like buffets. It's too much food to look at and I never can decide what I want. I don't like my food to touch so it means numerous trips to the buffet. That means leaving others at the table. Also, you don't know who has touched the food (I know all of you think people really use tongs but some don't) and I don't trust those sneeze guards. I just prefer my food made to order.
LOL, food is going to touch, girl...when it is going down the pipes. That's a bit OCD.

Old 05-02-2011, 04:05 AM

2,593 posts, read 4,238,812 times
I love Indian buffets, especially if they have gulab jamuns for dessert!!!

Old 05-02-2011, 06:20 AM

16,904 posts, read 16,125,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SXMGirl View Post
I am one of the few who does not like buffets. It's too much food to look at and I never can decide what I want. I don't like my food to touch so it means numerous trips to the buffet. That means leaving others at the table. Also, you don't know who has touched the food (I know all of you think people really use tongs but some don't) and I don't trust those sneeze guards. I just prefer my food made to order.
Yes! I agree with you about the foods not touching! Especially mashed potatoes and corn! Can you imagine? Makes me wanna get sick just thinking about it!
You're doing it right, SXMGirl! ...

Old 05-02-2011, 07:46 AM

50,370 posts, read 63,964,084 times
Rain, you should buy some grill plates (Pfalzgraff is one brand). My DH has the same idiosyncracy about his food touching and he LOVES these plates which have separate segments. I got a bunch of them on ebay.

My SIL always mixes potatoes and corn together.

Last edited by gentlearts; 05-02-2011 at 08:06 AM..

Old 05-02-2011, 08:34 AM

16,904 posts, read 16,125,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Rain, you should buy some grill plates (Pfalzgraff is one brand). My DH has the same idiosyncracy about his food touching and he LOVES these plates which have separate segments. I got a bunch of them on ebay.

My SIL always mixes potatoes and corn together.
LOL, gentle....it's not that SXMgirl and I have an idiosyncracy, it's everybody else that has it!
That's an excellent idea about the plates...but I'll need to see if they have extra large ones.

Old 05-02-2011, 09:58 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,176,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomzoom3 View Post
I love Indian buffets, especially if they have gulab jamuns for dessert!!!
I like a good Indian buffet... but I've found them to be like any other buffet: hit-or-miss.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink