Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2011, 04:55 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I spend almost all of my time with people between the ages of 5-18, including during mealtimes, and they would all be amazed to know that their beloved mac and cheese is "old people food." It's a total kid staple.
love your commet and I agree. My granddaughter is in her mid 20s, since she could talk her favorite food has always been Mac and Cheese; our GGranddaughter loves it..If you can't get her to eat anything else give her mac and cheese. Next time people go to a buffet watch and see how many get it, (little ones especially) Actually those of us who are older and enjoy cooking are less likely to eat it, certainly we don't fix it very often.

NIta
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2011, 05:31 AM

19,517 posts, read 9,537,245 times
As a kid, I loved going to buffets, still do. I don't eat as much as I used to or as much as my dh but I think or hope I get my money's worth. That is, being that most are under $20.00 per person. I liked the various selections available. You can pick and choose which vegetables you want, or you can get a little of each. I tend to put more veggies on my plate than the meats. If you really like the taste of certain items on your plate, you can always go back up and get some more of it. Not easy to do that ordering off the menu now, is it?
Most of the buffets I'm familiar with also have a dessert bar. I see more kids up there than I see "old people" or maybe those kids are just old folks at heart?

Old 07-27-2011, 09:24 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,693,520 times
when i was a kid, i remember the buffets being pretty crappy and low end. old country buffet and sizzler. now i dont see as many of the lower end ones around. there are a lot of asian buffets, i go to one thats awesome with lots of chinese food and sushi. the only other one i go to is at the borgata in atlantic city.

in reality, im sure i wouldnt mind a lower end one occasionally. when i was in college they had a cafeteria that was basically a cheap buffet and i loved it. lots of salad with tuna and tacos and junk like that.

Old 07-27-2011, 03:02 PM

52,698 posts, read 34,548,464 times
i love buffets but the temptation to overindulge is a consideration.

here in the dc area there are some really good korean buffets.

Old 07-27-2011, 04:26 PM

258 posts, read 450,652 times
Definitely not old people food. I hate buffets but all my young cousins LOVE them and take me all the time.

I just can't do portion control, hate standing in line for food, usually only like a few dishes, and feel bad that I can't eat my money's worth. Plus I can't resist gorging myself on fried food which is always a-plenty at buffets... dangerous!

Old 07-27-2011, 08:55 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,277,953 times
I like buffets primarily as it is one of the few restaurants where you can have several vegetables at the same meal.

Old 07-28-2011, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
I like buffets primarily as it is one of the few restaurants where you can have several vegetables at the same meal.
That and the salad bars are the positive things, plus, I have to admit, Golden Corrall has pretty good chicken.

Nita

Old 07-28-2011, 09:35 AM

4,030 posts, read 10,763,494 times
I like a nice brunch buffet, but they are hard to find, especially that don't cost a fortune. I'm not a huge fan of buffets in general, but there's a barbeque place not far from us that has a great buffet. Awesome chicken, ribs and brisket along with all the standard sides, and a great salad bar. I'm sure they loose money on DH, as he can truly make a pig of himself there.

Not a fan of Golden Corral and such. The one here actually went out of business a couple of years ago. There was a place much like it called Fire Mountain, it's gone as well. They also had a location near my folks in Texas. Every time we'd go to visit, my dad would insist on going there. He somehow got the idea that we all liked it. None of us could stand that place. My sisters family and mine would all just roll our eyes, and suffer through it. The food was horrible and to be quite honest, I just found it repulsive to watch some of the pigs eating there. I'm not a tiny thing by a far stretch, but the place was always full of all these morbidly obese people, just shoveling in mounds of food, and going back countless times. Everyone, except my dad, was thrilled they went out of business.

Old 07-28-2011, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by debzkidz View Post
I like a nice brunch buffet, but they are hard to find, especially that don't cost a fortune. I'm not a huge fan of buffets in general, but there's a barbeque place not far from us that has a great buffet. Awesome chicken, ribs and brisket along with all the standard sides, and a great salad bar. I'm sure they loose money on DH, as he can truly make a pig of himself there.

Not a fan of Golden Corral and such. The one here actually went out of business a couple of years ago. There was a place much like it called Fire Mountain, it's gone as well. They also had a location near my folks in Texas. Every time we'd go to visit, my dad would insist on going there. He somehow got the idea that we all liked it. None of us could stand that place. My sisters family and mine would all just roll our eyes, and suffer through it. The food was horrible and to be quite honest, I just found it repulsive to watch some of the pigs eating there. I'm not a tiny thing by a far stretch, but the place was always full of all these morbidly obese people, just shoveling in mounds of food, and going back countless times. Everyone, except my dad, was thrilled they went out of business.
As I mentioned earlier, I am not a buffet fan either, but we do go to Goldne
Carroll a couple of times a year when we are out shopping or we go to an Asian one (rarely) one we have here that is good for Sunday brunch. That is the only day they serve a buffet and it is a lunch buffet, not breakfast. Because they are known for their Bar-B-Cue, that is what they serve: Brisket, chicken (2 or 3 ways) ribs, mac and cheese, lots of veggies and the best and most unusual salads we have ever had. It is very different from going to say, a Golden Corrall or maybe Western Sizzler. Certainly it isn't a chain, and it is pretty small.

I will say, though there are a lot of really overweight people at buffets, I don't think it is much different than many restaurants. I do think, often the class of people who enjoy buffets can make some people shutter but that isn't saying everyone that enjoys buffets are lower class. Anymore than anyone that chooses fast food burgers are slobs or do not know how to eat healthy.
Nita

Old 07-28-2011, 04:25 PM

69 posts, read 67,696 times
One nice feature of buffets - YOU control the setting. Most buffets will not pre-seat you. You can sit away from noisy groups or screaming children.

Also, you control when the food gets to your table - when you bring it there! No waitress asking every 30 seconds if you are ready to order. No waitress bringing your entree when you have just started the appetizer.

I like buffets.

Last edited by Al Zymers; 07-28-2011 at 04:35 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink