Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 01:51 PM

2,053 posts, read 4,799,036 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
I had to look up what that is. How would I make one large enough for 20 some people? Or would I make several of them, with different ingredients maybe and let people decide which they want?

Pasta for lunch? Like spaghetti? Or maybe a pasta salad?? Oh oh!!! Pasta salad with rotisserie chicken and veggies!!! It's one of my favorites and if I don't add any mayo or anything, people can add what they want - ranch dressing, mayo, italian dressing, etc. Hey.........
Make a few different ones, they are easy to make and it is fun to have different options that won't make you stay in the kitchen for hours.

I am not really a fan of pasta salad, but if the weather is nice why not some pasta with lemon, parm and a dash of heavy cream?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2011, 01:52 PM

41,721 posts, read 74,665,297 times
You rang?

OK, I'm quick and cheap ... but I'm not easy!!! LOL

Old 05-05-2011, 01:56 PM

8,534 posts, read 7,366,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
You rang?

OUCH ~~ spicy V8 out thru the nose... Too funny....

Old 05-05-2011, 11:52 PM

512 posts, read 943,416 times
Sounds like fun!! But a lot of work too . Here are a few things I like to serve when I have a crowd:

Make your own deli sandwiches - I go to the big box store and get a large bag (50 or so) of fresh baked rolls 2 1/2 inch diameter (perfect for kids and adults like being able to make different types); 3 different types of lunch meats (cut into smaller sizes to last longer lol); a couple of trays of pre sliced cheese variety packs (I serve it off the tray it's packaged on); a large bag of salad mix (no one minds the shredded carrots lol); tomatoes to slice; condiments; chips; large tub of pototoe salad. You could probably have this two days and it's easy

Pancakes, scrambled eggs and fresh fruit (quartered apples, pears & bananas tossed with lemon juice to keep from browning-can be done the night before)

Crustless quiche - my recipe 8 eggs well beaten, 1/4 cup milk, 1 can rotel tomatoes, 1 cup cheese - mix all well, pour into greased pan, bake 375 degrees 35 minutes or until knife inserted in center comes out clean. I'm guessing this doubled would work out well in a 13 x 9 pan. Serve with fruit and maybe heat a couple of loaves of bread in the oven too.

Make your own tacos and burritos - lots of cooked taco seasoned ground beef, taco shells, flour tortillas, chopped tomatoe and onions, olives, bag of salad mix, salsa and sour cream. Serve with white rice, refried beans and tortilla chips.

Nachos - Cover a large baking sheet in tin foil. Cover the foil with tortilla chips about 1 1/2 to 2 inches thick; spread 1 1/2 pounds cooked season taco meat over chips; add 1 can of refried beans by spoonful on top; add 1 can drained good quality canned corn, sprinkle with salsa; add sliced black olives; cover all in 2-3 cups shredded cheddar cheese. Bake at 400 approximately 15 minutes or until cheese is melted and slightly browned. Serve with sour cream and additional salsa. Guacamole is good too but expensive. My kids still love this and they are old now lol

For snacks I like to serve whole fresh fruit, sliced cheese and a variety of crackers.

A large roasted turkey with baked pototoes, veggie and bread might be easy too...

Good luck and have fun! I hope that you can use some of this

Old 05-05-2011, 11:57 PM

512 posts, read 943,416 times
Oh I forgot...lol
Don't be shy about borrowing crockpots from your friends

Old 05-06-2011, 04:13 PM

16,890 posts, read 16,161,193 times
Rotisserie chicken(s) or baked chicken(s) with wild rice, crescent rolls, a veggie and salad.

Hamburgers/hot dogs on the grill with potato salad, watermelon, corn, etc.

Spaghetti with meat sauce, french bread, salad. If someone doesn't want the meat sauce, they can opt for plain noodles with butter and parmesan.

Big pot of soup and a "make your own sandwich" deli tray.

Old 05-06-2011, 07:28 PM

278 posts, read 547,413 times
man thats a lot of people to serve for a few days.

i would save myself some time and stress and go to costco and get some of those meals they sell inside the store next to the meat section which you bring home and put in the oven. mac & cheese, salisbury steak & mashed potatoes, meat and cheese tray etc.

Old 05-06-2011, 07:42 PM

18,837 posts, read 37,206,541 times
Well, it ain't going to be cheap...go to Costco, get some deli fixings, Salad stuff.

I would go with plain food, kids and men can be very picky about food. Meat, potatoes...

Night one: Baked Potaoe Bar, Bake about 30 potatoes, buy shredded cheese, canned chili, sour cream, any other fixins you want...make a salad. Everyone is happy. If you want, buy a few tubs of barbecue meat.

Night two: Sliced Ham and hashbrown casserole. Green beans.
Night Three: Chicken and rice casserole, Salad.
Night Four: Order Pizza, that is the busy day night.
Night Five: Tacos, or Spaghetti.

Breakfast, I would just do cereal, you are too busy to cook much...but if you feel like it you could make some breakfast casseroles...they are delicious, make at night, and pop in oven in the morning.
Don't forget an oatmeal morning, with all the yummy fixins.

Lunch, Just sandwiches, fruit. Unless you are making the main meal lunch, then switch it out.

Old 05-06-2011, 09:31 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,355,485 times
Thank you everyone for the great ideas! Daughter should have been in this morning but they had last minute errands to run, new tires for the vehicle, etc and everything took longer than expected. Family luck! So she'll be here tomorrow afternoon. Think it'll be just them for a few days until the others come in so I"m less panicked than I was!

Definitely heading to the store tomorrow morning after dropping off more stuff at the storage unit though!

Old 05-07-2011, 01:10 AM

1,208 posts, read 1,824,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
You rang?

Two out of three ain't bad!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink