U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2011, 07:56 PM

4,521 posts, read 4,009,132 times

Advertisements

Planning a fundraiser @ Walmart. They're having a big event day and are allowing my group to fundraiser next to their BBQ. It's in June, so I nixed the bake sale idea and want to sell ice cream. BUT...we'll be out at the end of the parking lot/near the sidewalk, no not access to electricity.

What's the best way to keep ice cream frozen? I've heard talks of dry ice, but then I also read that it could freeze it solid. Will only need to keep the ice cream frozen for about 5 hours (including commuting time to site). Ice cream cart rentals are too costly, so that's out. Ideas are greatly welcomed!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2011, 08:19 PM

18,845 posts, read 35,296,760 times
I would not do ice cream...unless you just went with ice cream bars, those don't seem to melt, and stay cold with dry ice. And popsicles.

Maybe face painting might be fun.

Or get some different types of popcorn, for people to taste, and buy. With lots of drinks available.
Popcorn Tasting | Fundraiser Insight

Maybe there will be alot of hot kids there, maybe have a water balloon toss, sell water guns. Get some stuff from Oriental Trading company...

Water Toys, Games & Activities, Toys, Games & Novelties - Oriental Trading

Have a kids pick out ducks from a pool and win a little prize, for like a $1, but have one or two big prizes too.

Old 05-12-2011, 08:19 PM

10,135 posts, read 25,764,045 times
Dry ice. You will have to insulate it a little if you want to keep it scoopable. And, get several of those white foam coolers and have the one you are working out of have only a little dry ice in the bottom. Then back up that cooler with one with a little more dry ice.

You just can't sit the ice cream directly on the dry ice or it will be like stone in a couple of hours. Put the dry ice in then a piece of foam insulation on top then the ice cream.

Get a thermometer. A freezer is about 0F so don't let it get any colder than that.

I used to use dry ice in the coolers on my boat all the time because you could keep stuff cold for a weekend. But you have to pay attention to it just like you would a charcoal fire in the grill.

Old 05-12-2011, 08:32 PM

3,540 posts, read 8,414,044 times
Dry ice with foam separations as Wilson513 said.

My vote would be for ice cream cookie sandwiches, no scooping, faster service and more novel than regular ice cream.

Old 05-12-2011, 08:35 PM

3,645 posts, read 10,463,689 times
I'd go for someone's spare freezer and a generator. Those are two items people might already have, and they might be willing to loan out for 5 hours.

Old 05-13-2011, 04:17 PM

4,470 posts, read 7,523,996 times
Get Walmart to help u...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink