Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2012, 01:53 PM

4,030 posts, read 10,758,253 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I've heard of grits and always wondered what it was, so I looked it up. It's a dish of Native American origin, made from ground corn. We have it here in NM, but it's called hominy (I think), and there's another local Native American name for it. And the consistency here in the SW is completely different, it's not a porridge, it's thicker. Wikipedia likens it to Italian polenta, and says there are variations common world-wide. Come to think of it, I remember friends from Zimbabwe being fond of it, and calling it "sadza". It seems to be a cheap staple. Wiki says in the Southern US it's served for breakfast, kind of like oatmeal or any porridge. In other parts of the world, though, (and here in the SW) it's served for lunch or dinner as a side dish, like we have mashed potatoes.

I don't know about moving somewhere, but I could tell you stories about visiting places and being "honored" with special foods that I couldn't even bring myself to eat. There's some weird stuff out there.
Grits the is same kind of corn as hominy, but it's ground. I hate hominy, at least any I've ever had or seen is whole kernel. Bleh. My husband likes it, but I refuse to cook it. it does not taste like your typical corn. Also, I believe it's the same kind of corn that they use to make Corn Nuts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2012, 01:54 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,793,767 times
This is what grits should look like as a finished product. Some like red-eye gravy on them which I never really tried.

I think that's a piece of link sausage butterflied. Pans sausage and grits are an unbeatable combo!

Old 08-06-2012, 01:54 PM

6,616 posts, read 13,824,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
GRITS--girls raised in the South.

But this girl does not eat grits either. I had never seen grits until we moved to Denver, Colorado. A waitress offered me grits because she heard my accent. People in the area where we are now eat grits as a starch. In the mountains of North Carolina we ate gravy instead.

Oh, I choose hash browns instead of grits. I don't think a potato can be prepared in a way I do not like it. I have been known to go to a buffet and come back with four different kinds of potatoes.

When I was growing up in the mountains of North Carolina my breakfast usually always included biscuits, gravy and sometimes ham and eggs. My mother has been known to fry chicken for breakfast. My aunt used to fix rice with butter and sugar. I like that too, but I prefer my gravy.
Lol that's funny stuff.

Moderator cut: off topic

Last edited by Beretta; 08-06-2012 at 08:19 PM..

Old 08-06-2012, 02:00 PM

102,183 posts, read 107,774,599 times
The photo Wiki gives makes it look more like what the OP originally described: rice porridge. I take it there's all kinds. The photo above looks like polenta, and that's the kind that's served in NM. There are probably as many variations of this dish as there are cooks. Maybe the OP got a bad batch or a highly localized version. Better luck next time, OP. Look for the kind that resembles the photo above. It's actually pretty good that way.

Old 08-06-2012, 02:04 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,344,416 times
Grits, are similar to Cream of Wheat, only made from corn, not wheat. You can eat them many different ways, I am not from the south, we ate grits in my home, with milk and sugar, for breakfast.

Old 08-06-2012, 02:13 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,793,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Grits, are similar to Cream of Wheat, only made from corn, not wheat. You can eat them many different ways, I am not from the south, we ate grits in my home, with milk and sugar, for breakfast.
This reminds me.. We like our grits savory. I wouldn't dream of adding sugar to them. But, as I said mom was from the Bahamas. We would sometimes have a ripe banana squished up with butter and mixed with grits. It's quite good try it! I would still salt it but likely less than if having cheese grits. Btw, I like Cream of Wheat and Malt o Meal!

Old 08-06-2012, 02:23 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,244,911 times
Okay, what is that sweet corn meal-like side dish they serve with Mexican food? Just a little dab of it on the side usually. I used to know what it was called and now I can't remember. It's been bugging me for weeks and this thread reminded me of it.

Old 08-06-2012, 02:30 PM

926 posts, read 1,255,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTGirlNoMore View Post
To me, grits look a lot like Cream of Wheat, which I LOVED growing up. I tried them (grits) and really like them. I eat them with a little butter and sugar on top.

Winner! Try sugar and butter w/your grits. Yum.

Old 08-06-2012, 02:32 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,615,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debzkidz View Post
Grits the is same kind of corn as hominy, but it's ground. I hate hominy, at least any I've ever had or seen is whole kernel. Bleh. My husband likes it, but I refuse to cook it. it does not taste like your typical corn. Also, I believe it's the same kind of corn that they use to make Corn Nuts.
My husband and I discussed hominy the other day. He has eaten it, but I could not ever bring myself to even taste it after I read about the process it goes through to make it. I think they mentioned one process includes lye. Ugh! Why would anyone do that to a nice piece of corn? LOL

Old 08-06-2012, 06:35 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,343,435 times
I don't wanna hear any bad things about what they do to make hominy awesome. LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink