Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: .....
I wouldnt leave a tip! 4 2.56%
10% 18 11.54%
15% 70 44.87%
20% 54 34.62%
Over 20% 10 6.41%
Voters: 156. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2011, 01:48 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
As far as the business having to make up the diff to have it equal out to minimum wage, i mentioned that to my boss once. he said "Do a better job then"
What happened when you told the labor department? Or did you just quit and find a better place to work?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2011, 01:49 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Bull!
I've had to work with tropical storm warnings up, no one showed up, and we sure as hell were not compensated beyond our usual 2.30 an hour.
you are exactly right, that is why our grandson in law found another job. Some of his shifts produced almost blank $$S. I will say, I don't think most of the kids I know come close to claiming all their tips. I think there is a loophole somewhere. I would have to ask one of them.

Nita

Old 06-03-2011, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
you are exactly right, that is why our grandson in law found another job. Some of his shifts produced almost blank $$S. I will say, I don't think most of the kids I know come close to claiming all their tips. I think there is a loophole somewhere. I would have to ask one of them.

Nita
You are both wrong. I don't understand why you people let employers break the laws and let them take advantage of you.

Old 06-03-2011, 01:51 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,001,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
I dont know of any restaurant that tells each server to empty their pockets at the end of the night. Besides, youre claiming tips not total sales.
They dont, but you have to claim all your credit card tips, and 8% of your total cash sales.
We always had to fill out a claim sheet that was turned in weekly to the book keeper, and this was at more than one restaurant, in more than one state.

Old 06-03-2011, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
It's not bull. You're ignorant about labor laws. Your management is screwing you out of your tip credit. Take it up with your management and labor department.

Currently, employers in Florida are responsible for a tip credit of $3.02 to cover the difference between general minimum wage and tipped employee minimum wage.
They do not make up the difference.
Who am I going to report, lol
I work for myself these days, I'm an interior designer.
However, my daughter is a pastry chef in a local restaurant, she tells me that no, the restaurant is not making up the difference for servers that have been stiffed in the past few weeks by the Scientology loons that have invaded our downtown area.
ETA: FL is a right to work state, which means they have the right to fire anyone for any reason, including reporting employers for not making up wages.
I have had managers in the past tell us to report them, and see what happens to our jobs.

Old 06-03-2011, 02:02 PM

5,419 posts, read 9,197,174 times
I'm not going to post how well I was doing monewise, but suffice it to say that I was doing a LOT more than waiting tables.. I was "head" for a while, I stocked the alcohol, cleaned the entire place, did the dishes, baked the bread and other desserts, served alcohol, accommodated LARGE parties on short notice (it's not nice to show up to a restaurant with 8 people in your party without calling first, at least), etc. list goes on. It gets hectic and thankfully my boss was very understanding 99% of the time. Most people don't "want" to be a waiter or waitress or whatever forever, you know- but it's better than being unemployed.

I was always grateful for whatever I got, but 15% is generally accepted as proper "dining-out" etiquette.. and that's why I don't get why people tip less. I dunno where some of you eat, but I've never had such bad service that it warranted "stiffing" the waitstaff.

Old 06-03-2011, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
They do not make up the difference.
Who am I going to report, lol
I work for myself these days, I'm an interior designer.
However, my daughter is a pastry chef in a local restaurant, she tells me that no, the restaurant is not making up the difference for servers that have been stiffed in the past few weeks by the Scientology loons that have invaded our downtown area.
ETA: FL is a right to work state, which means they have the right to fire anyone for any reason, including reporting employers for not making up wages.
I have had managers tell us to report them, and see what happens to our jobs.
Working for yourself rocks. I enjoy doing it myself as well.

If those who work in restaurants are okay with how their employers treat them, then that's their problem. Not the patrons.

Old 06-03-2011, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
You are both wrong. I don't understand why you people let employers break the laws and let them take advantage of you.
Do you live in FL?
Are you familiar with the laws in a right to work state?
Didnt think so.
Dont tell me I am wrong, when you have not lived here, worked here, waited tables here.
I would not dream of being so arrogant if we were discussing NJ, which I know nothing of.

Old 06-03-2011, 02:09 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,198,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandon View Post
I full well understand the concept of theft. But what I understand and you don't is that there are many other interpretations/meanings for the concept of theft then merely the one you utilize.
Obviously you don't, you prove it over and over.

When you find a dictionary that defines theft as not leaving an optional gratuity let me know, until then I'll continue to dismiss your pet definition as non-applicable to the rest of us.

Old 06-03-2011, 02:11 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
i just looked up right to work states and it appears to basically be regarding unions. that an employee cant be forced to join a union as a condition of employment and employers arent required to recognize a union as a representative of their employees. if thats it, then i dont see how that is relevant here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink