Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2011, 08:23 PM

500 posts, read 841,327 times

Advertisements

I got into a habit of eating dried shrimps found in Mexican carnicerias recently, eating them raw, including their head and legs. Is it how they're eaten in Mexico? And is it safe to eat them this way?
Also, I noticed there're very small dried smelt fish being sold. How to eat it and can it be eaten raw? It has slightly bitter flavor... and I wonder if lime juice and paprika can make it into a dish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2011, 09:43 AM

52,698 posts, read 34,548,464 times
the very small dried fish are probably anchovies, not smelt. i have eaten both [uncooked] dried anchovies and shrimp without any problems..

Old 06-13-2011, 01:00 PM

3,854 posts, read 4,835,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xani View Post
I got into a habit of eating dried shrimps found in Mexican carnicerias recently, eating them raw, including their head and legs. Is it how they're eaten in Mexico? And is it safe to eat them this way?
Also, I noticed there're very small dried smelt fish being sold. How to eat it and can it be eaten raw? It has slightly bitter flavor... and I wonder if lime juice and paprika can make it into a dish.
The shrimp are fine. If they are completely dried. I like mine as a snack with cold beer and some kind of hot sauce.

Old 06-13-2011, 01:14 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,998,001 times
I use those dried shrimp in dressing for Thai green papaya salad, delicious!

Old 06-13-2011, 01:52 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,472,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xani View Post

Smelts are eaten as follows:

Buy fresh raw smelts that are headless and gutted.
Rinse the smelts in cold water pulling out any remaining entrails.
Dry on paper towel.
Mix flour and salt in a paper bag to your taste. I use lots of salt
Shake a few smelts at a time.
Place on wire rack to dry a little more.
Fry in vegetable oil (not olive) at 350 F. a few at a time. To golden brown like a french fry.
Do not crowd pan. Turn at least once.
Eat whole smelt, bones, tail and all. Like a french fry. Add more salt if needed.

Go great with scrambled eggs for breakfast. One of life's best treats.

Old 06-13-2011, 03:15 PM

52,698 posts, read 34,548,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
Smelts are eaten as follows:

Buy fresh raw smelts that are headless and gutted.
Rinse the smelts in cold water pulling out any remaining entrails.
Dry on paper towel.
Mix flour and salt in a paper bag to your taste. I use lots of salt
Shake a few smelts at a time.
Place on wire rack to dry a little more.
Fry in vegetable oil (not olive) at 350 F. a few at a time. To golden brown like a french fry.
Do not crowd pan. Turn at least once.
Eat whole smelt, bones, tail and all. Like a french fry. Add more salt if needed.

Go great with scrambled eggs for breakfast. One of life's best treats.
that's very similar to how i prepare them, except i use finely ground cornmeal instead of flour.

yummylicious.

Old 06-15-2011, 12:17 PM

4,468 posts, read 8,003,004 times
small salted shrimps and beer +++

Old 06-15-2011, 01:15 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,968,624 times
Salting and drying seafood is the oldest method of preserving them. Properly salted and dried fish keeps literally for years, remaining perfectly safe to eat. The smelt you described is probably a marine species of smelt, possibly Capelin, which is much more abundant than the fresh-water variety that is sold fresh in the USA called smelt, and in recent years has become very expensive, even where it is caught.

In Newfoundland, one can buy packages of dried Capelin anywhere, and they are a popular snack food, including the heads. When they run, they can be scooped up off the beach with snow shovels, and many people dry their own.

Last edited by jtur88; 06-15-2011 at 01:29 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink