Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2011, 08:35 AM

1,882 posts, read 4,617,795 times

Advertisements

When we go I like to try something new. It may taste like crap, but gives me something to try to make.
When we go out to eat it's not as much about the food anymore, it's more about the entertainment. We have so much more fun when I order something "strange" that everyone can try and make fun of.

We are not out to "get at" the restaurant or won't order something we make at home that is near perfect(for us anyway). There is always room for improvement in anyones dish and the only way to get ideas, sometimes, is by try'n someone elses. I try not to get too serious about food, and if I'm in one of "those moods" I'll order a couple beers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2011, 11:47 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,293,698 times
Caligula ~

I think you're just fussy. But you're not alone. Heck, I have a neighbor who will not eat out, ever, and I don't believe she has in all the 20 years they've lived next door. If their married daughter wants to go out for dinner, the husband will go but not her. Ever. Do not know why.

Me, I don't care. Some things I prefer to eat in restaurants than my own, and sometimes I just want someone else to do the cooking. I don't cook Asian dishes at all. Husband doesn't care much for seafood, so I rarely ever prepare it myself.

And if grabbing some Taco Bell means not having to cook, and keeping my kitchen clean, then it's tasty enough for me.

Old 06-06-2011, 09:06 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
1, Appetizer

2. Dessert

3. Drink

I don't mind paying for a main course, that's what the restaurant is there for, and they deserve their markup for that, they have costs and overhead. But that's where I draw the line, firmly.

Old 06-06-2011, 09:13 AM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
I guess I just don't put that much thought into it - I order what I'm in the mood for, I don't really fret over how easily I could make the same thing at home for less.
Pretty much the same here. I know I make great spaghetti sauce, but if I want spaghetti and I'm out at a restaurant that has decent spaghetti, I'm going to order it and not fret about how I could make a tastier meal at home for much less.

Life is too short.

Old 06-06-2011, 10:26 AM

6,470 posts, read 16,391,935 times
I prefer not to eat rare meat, no matter how expensive or "fancy" the restaurant is. IMO the smell and taste of undercooked meat are disgusting. I would only eat it if I knew exactly where the cow was coming from and that the meat was fresh, healthy and properly prepared. I also don't eat sashimi.

I admit that I'm really sensitive to pressure from other people, and I have eaten both of these foods in restaurants. I still have one friend who keeps trying to get me to go for sushi. I've had real Japanese food as well as real fresh fish, and I've only had decent food at ONE Japanese restaurant in the US. I'm kind of ashamed of the mercury-filled raw tuna I've choked down because I can't say NO.

I also live in MD, home of the delicious blue crab. My soon-to-be ex used to LOOVE crabcakes and all kinds of "bay" "seafood." I used to volunteer with the Chesapeake Bay Foundation, and my opinion is that the bay's pretty much a cesspool. I also read "Chesapeake" by James Michener. Wow what a difference a few hundred years can make...

Crabcakes are tasty, but I don't order them if left up to my own devices. They're also an expensive food, and I guess I look like an a$$ if I say I won't eat them because I don't like raw sewage and heavy metals in my food. LOL

OMG I have TURNED INTO MY MOTHER. I guess that's why I don't say stuff like that and go along with the crowd and eat things I don't like. I don't want to mess with someone else's enjoyment. One of the last times I had a jumbo lump crabcake, I threw up. I don't think I'll ever eat one again.

Old 06-06-2011, 11:19 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,293,698 times
I should have added that there is one thing I do not order in restaurants: Replacements for a returned plate. If something I ordered is not palatable to me, and it goes back, I just do without. Because I cannot trust the cook to not spit in it or do something gross. This is probably not done as often as some of us believe, but the idea has left its imprint in me

Old 06-06-2011, 11:32 AM

6,470 posts, read 16,391,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesmama View Post
I should have added that there is one thing I do not order in restaurants: Replacements for a returned plate. If something I ordered is not palatable to me, and it goes back, I just do without. Because I cannot trust the cook to not spit in it or do something gross. This is probably not done as often as some of us believe, but the idea has left its imprint in me
LOL Bluesmama I don't do this, either! If the food is lousy, I just don't go back.

Old 06-06-2011, 11:47 AM

2,179 posts, read 3,402,803 times
Tomato sauce. Was raised by a Napolitano grandmother who spoiled me rotten, with her cooking that is. She's been gone over ten years, but I have carried on the tradition. Not nearly as good, of course, but better than I can get in most Italian restaurants.

Old 06-06-2011, 11:59 AM

5,863 posts, read 11,917,859 times
I rarely order steak at a restaurant. Don't get me wrong, I love a good steak, but to get a really good one, the entree price is usually pretty high. I can get a USDA Choice, or sometimes Prime steak at Costco for less than $10. I season the way I want and put it on the gas grill and cook to medium rare perfection. I tend to order things I don't make at home, like Mexican or Chinese.

Old 06-06-2011, 12:21 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,492,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Pretty much the same here. I know I make great spaghetti sauce, but if I want spaghetti and I'm out at a restaurant that has decent spaghetti, I'm going to order it and not fret about how I could make a tastier meal at home for much less.

Life is too short.
I don't order spaghetti because I've never once had spaghetti in a restaurant that tasted better than jarred Prego. I believe it's because I slow cook my homemade gravy for hours, and restaurants specialize more in food that is prepared quickly.

Life is waaaaaaaaay too short to eat even one more plate of bad spaghetti!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink