Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 06:43 PM

61,704 posts, read 87,101,195 times

Advertisements

^^^ Interesting method!! I never heard of it, but willing to try
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2011, 09:32 PM

32,933 posts, read 36,351,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
How do you time your egg-cooking?

I don't, I just let them boil for a while...
I use the cold water method and leave the eggs in the pan for about 10 minutes. Interesting tip, observation about the shell drying time.

Old 06-10-2011, 01:31 AM

1,870 posts, read 2,389,493 times
Well, medium-hard is the way to go for me. I cooked up another batch, and no green yolks after a day in the fridge. Medium-hard eggs seem to taste better than hard-hard, and the yolks have a nice texture.

Does anyone else here use an electric egg cooker?

Old 06-10-2011, 02:03 PM

61,704 posts, read 87,101,195 times
^^^ I like them medium hard too...

Old 06-10-2011, 09:58 PM

1,890 posts, read 2,653,725 times
Okay, okay, I came and went in this thread a few times. Now, I felt the need to lay out how to make hard-boiled eggs properly. Myself, I love eggs, and I'm always perfecting my technique...which I did.

To answer the original question: The green ring between the yolk and the white is the result of overcooking. It is a chemical reaction to heat.

This is what I like to call "straight up egg boiling". The aforementioned alternative method of cooking eggs in standing water is what I call the coddling method. Once a while I'll do this method...but straight-up is my choice.

All you need is a pin, a relatively large pot, salt, and naturally, water.

Before you do anything, scrub the eggs over running water. Meanwhile, measure out how much water you will need. You must fill enough water to cover eggs in at least an inch of water.

Prick the large end of the eggs with a pin. There may be a minute crack that is not visible to the naked eye, but will burst through after heating it resulting in a bad egg. Always pierce the large end of the eggs with a pin before placing them into the water.

The boil should be gentle, like a simmer boil. Never a rolling boil. After you get the water to a gentle boil, gently lower the eggs using a slotted spoon or a tong.

I add about 2 tsp of salt (a heaping pinch) after lowering the eggs in.

It's all about the timing: You start timing after you lower the eggs into the water. Here's a chart for timing...

Small/Medium eggs - 11 minutes
Large - 12 minutes
Extra Large - 13 minutes
Jumbo - 14 minutes

Those are for the eggs straight out of the 'fridge since us Americans store eggs in the refrigerator. Subtract 1 minute if the eggs are at room temperature.

After the time expires, immediately drain the water and run cold water over the eggs. Gently crack the shells with light taps to accelerate cooling. This does two things. 1) This will shrink the egg from membrane some. 2) To prevent yolk discoloration.

Peel eggs under running cold water, as previously mentioned to make peeling easier.

This will result in delicious bright and silky yellow yolks which you can't get enough of...!

Old 03-14-2012, 11:06 PM

1 posts, read 862 times
Try completely cooling them in very cold water when you take them out of the genie which will stop the cooking process. Putting them in the fridge right after may not be quick enough to stop the internal cooking.

Old 03-14-2012, 11:36 PM

4,023 posts, read 5,528,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SATX56 View Post
Bacon???
Green Eggs and Ham oh Sam I Am!

Old 03-14-2012, 11:41 PM

I start with cold water...usually heat it to boiling and then turn it down to barely-simmer for close to 20 minutes....always put cold water over them at the end........sometime they get green but never rubbery.....I thought it had to do with the age of the egg or length of time in the pan.... I think I'm gonna cook them less next time......

Last edited by Wurzig; 03-14-2012 at 11:53 PM..

Old 03-14-2012, 11:42 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,472,832 times
I know this is a little OT, but I had a salad at a real expensive spot in NYC recently and the hard cooked eggs were intentionally just past soft boiled. The yolks were glistening but not runny. Man was that a good salad.

I am always miserable about my own hard cooked eggs mostly due to the difficulty of removing the shell from the egg white, but this barely hard cooked egg thing was DELICIOUS!

Old 03-14-2012, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SATX56 View Post
I add kosher salt to the water and cook 9-11 minutes after it comes to boil. Then run cool water over them as I peel. Works well for me. I think eggs aren't too picky. What do you other posters mean by "softies"? Whites set but a runny yolk?? If so why would anyone want this? Just curious.

P.S. Don't know about the greening other than at Easter. But, I don't normally leave cooked eggs sitting in the fridge. Except in a potato salad.
I think they are referring to soft boiled eggs on toast.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink