Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2012, 12:13 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,833,234 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caligula1 View Post
It kind of taste nasty, has a very low smoke point..
Yet eneryone seems to cook with it..

Dipped in 2 Tablespoons of

+ a pinch of

='s

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2012, 12:15 AM

14,767 posts, read 17,114,170 times
^^ try it with toasted flat bread, olive oil & Zahtar ( if you can find it)

Old 03-12-2012, 06:58 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Yet eneryone seems to cook with it..
Well I certainly don't think it tastes nasty, I think it was a great flavor, but only for certain things. You are right, low smoke point so it isn't good for browning. I think my favorite veggie is roasted asparagus using a paste of olive oil, minced garlic and sea salt. Top with a little lemon zest just before serving. As for using on popcorn, that I think I will pass on, the type of flavor EVOO has doesn't match with my idea of popcorn. I don't care for it as an oil base for egges but it isn't bad. As for the spray, tried it, like regular spray better. I think, like most things, EVOO has a place and it is high on my list, but it isn't meant to be used in place of all other oils.

Nita

Last edited by nmnita; 03-12-2012 at 07:08 AM..

Old 03-12-2012, 08:07 AM

3,720 posts, read 9,999,504 times
^^^ I love asparagus that way too! And I use it to coat veggies before seasoning and grilling. And pretty much for any other use.

I also use butter, but only the real stuff, no hydrogenated chemical mix (margarine) for me.

Old 03-12-2012, 09:37 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NinaN View Post
^^^ I love asparagus that way too! And I use it to coat veggies before seasoning and grilling. And pretty much for any other use.

I also use butter, but only the real stuff, no hydrogenated chemical mix (margarine) for me.
and it sounds like we would love eating at each others house. I can't believe all the years we used margarine instead. I have to admit, about a year ago when butter got so expensive I did buy one of those huge containers of country crock: crock is right, crock of whatever!!! I finally, after about 6 months threw it out. Maybe I used 1/3 of it. The only thing we liked, it melted great on waffles, but you might as well used crisco, it has more flavor...

Nita

Old 03-12-2012, 10:35 AM

509 posts, read 1,167,856 times
We keep a small bottle on hand, but I almost never use it for cooking any more unless olive oil is specifically called for in a no-heat or low heat recipe. I refuse to use it for anything that requires medium or higher amounts of heat.

As far as salads, I just forego the oil and go for vinegar instead. I get enough fat from the rest of my diet and don't feel the need to slather everything in EVOOOOO like the people on the cooking channel.

Old 03-12-2012, 10:55 AM

41,958 posts, read 75,192,887 times
I can't stand using olive oil to cook in anything other than the lowest temperatures. There's something about the odor of hot olive oil that makes me gag -- and yes, I am of Italian heritage. I use it in salads, and occasionally on veggies or pasta and that's about it.

Old 03-12-2012, 11:01 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,505,594 times
Actually it's not true that olive oil has a low smoke point... Extra Virgin does but plain or "light" olive oil is good for frying. I used to keep both kinds around the pantry, but I've since switched to grapeseed oil for my all-purpose cooking oil.

Smoke Points of Various Fats - Kitchen Notes - Cooking For Engineers

Old 03-12-2012, 11:06 AM

1,739 posts, read 1,916,583 times
I LOVE EVOO !!!!

My favorite is California Olive Branch. Honestly the best I've ever had.

I use it for: Tossing with veg & spices to roast, drizzle over fresh cooked pasta with parm, basil chiffonade, lemon zest & juice (pasta really needs little else in my book), drizzled over pizza with sccracha on the side, vinegrettes, I saute with it, do light (low temp) pan frying with it, put it in my hair for a deep conditioning (be careful, a little goes a long way and you can spend forever rinsing it out if you use too much.

I also use butter. I remember when I went to culinary school and making the mistake of asking a Chef where the magarine was. You should have seen the look of horror on his face lol

Old 03-12-2012, 11:08 AM

16,904 posts, read 16,127,347 times
Quote:
Yet everyone seems to cook with it..
I don't like olive oil.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink