Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2016, 08:49 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,894,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I use it occasionally as you do, but there are other oils that are better for sautéing in some cases. For me, it depends on what I am sautéing or browning and for how long.
Lately for sautéing, I've used extra light olive oil. It seems to do the trick. I hardly ever sauté, however.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2016, 09:42 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,994,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiaLia View Post
Which olive oil brand(s) has the real thing, in your personal experience? I read the nytimes article and their list of brands that passed the test but for this, I'd like to hear from an actual user.
I can't recommend any. THAT'S THE POINT.

There is so much fraud out there that the oils that are shipped to me, and the oils that are shipped to you are probably two different oils.

I'm beginning to think that nobody actually reads my posts. Because I'm telling people that the only way to avoid being duped is to find a source for real olive oil -- a family farm is best -- and EDUCATE YOUR PALATE.

It's just like the difference between fake maple syrup and real maple syrup. Once you know the difference, it will be impossible to fool you again. But it's up to you to learn the difference. I can't do it for you. Buy some oil directly from some olive growers. Don't stress out about "best." Stress out about "authentic." Worry about "best" later.

The vast majority of Americans -- and that includes the Americans posting on this thread -- have no idea if the olive oil in their pantry is real or fake. That's just how it is. So don't trust any brand recommendations because most of the people posting here clearly don't know a damned thing about olives.

Old 01-05-2016, 10:02 AM

3,308 posts, read 4,560,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I had a co-worker told me he uses it to cook everything. I told him that it's impossible to fry or saute with it because it would burn up before your food cooks. If you use extra virgin and saute, then it's not extra virgin it has to contain other oils like canola which is suitable for saute.

Real Extra Virgin is only suitable as a dressing or dip. Cooking with it is a waste. It's like trying to do a camp fire with newspaper.
I don't know if I just don't know what I'm doing or something, but I also use olive oil to cook everything -- steak, chicken, onions, zucchini, eggs, mushrooms, green peppers, and I have no problem. I use Star brand extra virgin olive oil, or Sprouts brand.

P.S. I would probably use newspaper to get a campfire going lol.

Old 01-05-2016, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aneye4detail View Post
but I also use olive oil to cook everything
I'll wager you $1,000 that the olive oil in your pantry right now was either diluted with another form of oil, or an outright fraud. My only fear is that you might try to find authentic olive oil to send to the lab instead of what is in your pantry.

Care to take that bet? Seriously, I could use $1,000 right now.

Old 01-05-2016, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
How could I find out?
Educate your palate.

I have an 80% chance of winning this wager. That's how confident I am that your "extra virgin olive oil" isn't.

Old 01-05-2016, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
I'll wager you $1,000 that the olive oil in your pantry right now was either diluted with another form of oil, or an outright fraud. My only fear is that you might try to find authentic olive oil to send to the lab instead of what is in your pantry.

Care to take that bet? Seriously, I could use $1,000 right now.
hahaha. There are only a few things that I am passionate about, and that does not include whether my olive oil is a fraud. It tastes good and makes me feel "fancy," lol.

This is a real (not snarky) question: Please advise as to why I should care, as long as I won't get sick or anything.

P.S. my current olive oil says it is from Spain.

Old 01-05-2016, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aneye4detail View Post
hahaha. There are only a few things that I am passionate about, and that does not include whether my olive oil is a fraud. It tastes good and makes me feel "fancy," lol.

This is a real (not snarky) question: Please advise as to why I should care, as long as I won't get sick or anything.

P.S. my current olive oil says it is from Spain.
What's on the bottle or tin doesn't matter. You don't know where exactly your oil came from. If you're asking these questions, you don't know. (If you knew, you wouldn't be asking.) The fraudulent oils often come from Turkey and North Africa. Bogus olive oil funds organized crime and terrorism. At the very least, you're paying too much for a bogus product and enriching criminals.

That's why you should care.

Old 01-05-2016, 10:54 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,894,540 times
Quote:
Educate your palate.

I have an 80% chance of winning this wager. That's how confident I am that your "extra virgin olive oil" isn't.
My palate is fairly educated, I'd say, and I know I like the brand of EVOO I use (Giant Eagle Market District) as much as or more than any of the oils I've tried from OP's article. Over the year or so since I first read about this, I've bought a bottle of all but one, the Lucini, which is nearly three times the price. While I wouldn't mind trying the Lucini, I like the Market District oil enough to continue to eat it.
California Olive Ranch Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Colavita Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Trader Joe’s Extra Virgin California Estate Olive Oil
Trader Joe’s 100% Italian Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Lucini Premium Select Extra Virgin Olive Oil

Old 01-05-2016, 11:06 AM

Quote:
What's on the bottle or tin doesn't matter. You don't know where exactly your oil came from. If you're asking these questions, you don't know. (If you knew, you wouldn't be asking.) The fraudulent oils often come from Turkey and North Africa. Bogus olive oil funds organized crime and terrorism. At the very least, you're paying too much for a bogus product and enriching criminals.

That's why you should care.
OK, so are you saying don't buy extra virgin olive oil, or olive oil period?

Old 01-05-2016, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
My palate is fairly educated, I'd say, and I know I like the brand of EVOO I use (Giant Eagle Market District) as much as or more than any of the oils I've tried from OP's article. Over the year or so since I first read about this, I've bought a bottle of all but one, the Lucini, which is nearly three times the price. While I wouldn't mind trying the Lucini, I like the Market District oil enough to continue to eat it.
California Olive Ranch Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Colavita Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Trader Joe’s Extra Virgin California Estate Olive Oil
Trader Joe’s 100% Italian Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Lucini Premium Select Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Sorry to say this, but you're completely missing the point. If you truly knew the difference, you wouldn't need to ask.

Do you know the difference between real maple syrup and the fake stuff? Most Americans know this difference. But many Europeans do not -- they don't have much of a sugar maple industry. In the exact same way, most Americans don't know the difference between real olive oil and blends/fakes. If you can say, "Yes, I know exactly how real 100% extra-virgin olive oil tastes," then I am inclined to believe you. But if you say, "I only use XYZ Brand EVOO (lol)", then I am inclined to think that you really don't know.

What's on the label, or on the tin doesn't matter. Only the contents matter. There is nobody looking out for you, the consumer. You are on your own and buyer beware.

There are family farms in California and Texas which will gladly sell you 100% extra virgin. They stand behind their product because their reputation and their livelihood is on the line. Inquire about the freshness of the oil, buy a bottle, and then compare it to what's on your shelf.

THEN, you will know.

I buy my oil directly from the grower. He and his wife come to America every year to visit friends, and I buy half a dozen liters from him. That usually tides me over for most of the year. I also buy oil directly from growers in California. It's more peppery. I like it for some things. But not for everything.

Call some family farm and get someone on the line who can tell you, "It's my land. It's my trees. And I pressed the olives and put it into bottles myself. If it ain't real, come here and say that to my face." Then you know you're getting the real deal. Once you know the difference, you'll never get fooled again. Just like if someone tried to sell you fake maple syrup, you'd know they're trying to pull one over on you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink