Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2011, 02:02 PM

18,950 posts, read 11,586,547 times

Advertisements

What can you tell me about ordering and eating at a Korean restaurant? In particular - what approach is expected/proper and what habits would be considered wrong or get a laugh/frown out of native Koreans?

For example - is it ok for a couple to order an appetizer and only 1 entree to share? We ordered 2 entrees the first and only time we went to a Korean restaurant and it was way too much for us (bibimbap and spicy pork).

Also - I know the spoon is for rice but do you put some meat/veg in the rice bowl and then spoon it up or swap back and forth between a bite of meat with chopsticks and a spoon of rice or what?

I realize that we can end up doing whatever we prefer but I'd like to know what's expected and how to go about constructing the meal first and then adjust from there. Thanks in advance for your feedback!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2011, 02:54 PM

10,113 posts, read 19,394,180 times
Is this Korean restaurant in Korea, or in America?

If its in Korea, sure, educate yourself as to the cultural niceties of eating in restaurants, etc.

But if you're in a restaurant in America, eat 'american-style" Who are you afraid of offending? You're the one paying for the meal, its in your country, let them worry about what you think of them, not the other way around.

I was once with a friend in a japanese restaurant (in Dallas, TX). she got a rather spicey dish, and hesitated to ask for a glass of water for fear of offending "them". Oh, she didn't know if "they" take water with their meals. Finally I got sick of seeing her all but choke, and simply asked the waiter for a glass of water. to this day, I really don't know if he was "offended' or not, nor do I care. We were paying for our meal, we wanted to eat in comfort.

After all, "they" came here to this country and opened a business based on our patronage. So, get used to our customs, etc. IMO, as long as you don't do anything that goes beyond the bounds of good taste and common sense, you're ok in any culture. Just use common courtesy, but don't forget to put your own comfort first, stop worrying you won't act like their culture, you're not there to impress them, its the other way around!

BTW, I did read somewhere many cultures, especially Asian, consider it gross to blow you nose while at a meal. I heartily agree. A quick dab at your nose is one thing, but to have to endure someone draining their sinuses while you eat is simply too much. Go to the bathroom and hawk it out, let the rest of us enjoy our food!

Old 06-04-2011, 03:03 PM

3,573 posts, read 6,472,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Is this Korean restaurant in Korea, or in America?

If its in Korea, sure, educate yourself as to the cultural niceties of eating in restaurants, etc.

But if you're in a restaurant in America, eat 'american-style" Who are you afraid of offending? You're the one paying for the meal, its in your country, let them worry about what you think of them, not the other way around.

I was once with a friend in a japanese restaurant (in Dallas, TX). she got a rather spicey dish, and hesitated to ask for a glass of water for fear of offending "them". Oh, she didn't know if "they" take water with their meals. Finally I got sick of seeing her all but choke, and simply asked the waiter for a glass of water. to this day, I really don't know if he was "offended' or not, nor do I care. We were paying for our meal, we wanted to eat in comfort.

After all, "they" came here to this country and opened a business based on our patronage. So, get used to our customs, etc. IMO, as long as you don't do anything that goes beyond the bounds of good taste and common sense, you're ok in any culture. Just use common courtesy, but don't forget to put your own comfort first, stop worrying you won't act like their culture, you're not there to impress them, its the other way around!

BTW, I did read somewhere many cultures, especially Asian, consider it gross to blow you nose while at a meal. I heartily agree. A quick dab at your nose is one thing, but to have to endure someone draining their sinuses while you eat is simply too much. Go to the bathroom and hawk it out, let the rest of us enjoy our food!
Wow, what a narrow-minded post!

Old 06-04-2011, 04:54 PM

10,113 posts, read 19,394,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donie1 View Post
Wow, what a narrow-minded post!

Oh, sorry, guess it was "narrow minded" of me to ask for a glass of water, not knowing if this violated some culutral norm, from another culture? See, in my culture, its perfectly acceptable to ask for a glass of water if one is choking on spicey food. did I do something wrong?

Old 06-04-2011, 04:56 PM

4,468 posts, read 7,999,911 times
Stay away from KimChee...

Old 06-04-2011, 05:05 PM

3,295 posts, read 7,013,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
See, in my culture, its perfectly acceptable to ask for a glass of water if one is choking on spicey food. did I do something wrong?
Drinking water when eating spicy food doesn't seem to help as much as something like dairy (since fat absorbs the substances that cause the spicy feeling -- or at least I've read something like that).

So milk or yogurt is probably better for that. When eating a cuisine that is spicy, I usually ask for that if they have it.

Old 06-04-2011, 07:34 PM

My primary motivation when posting this thread was not whether my actions will offend anyone - my interest is in what the usual mode or custom is. The usual way might not be the only way, but it could add to the understanding of a culture and to the overall enjoyment of the meal. These cultural norms and variations are interesting to me. I like to know what the traditional or right way is and then do as I please (which may or may not be the typical way).

For example - Korean BBQ is served with lettuce leaves. Some ppl don't bother with the lettuce or eat it as a salad. Apparently, though, the typical way is to tear off some of the lettuce and put a bit of sauce, a bite of grilled meat, and maybe some grilled garlic in there, roll it all up and pop the entire bundle into your mouth at once. At least, I think I got that right. Pretty handy - and maybe something a novice wouldn't think of or know on their own without instruction or seeing the example.

Hunter - I love kimchee - that, and it's heavy representation in the panchan, is what spurred my current drive to find out more about Korean food! My sister agrees with you, though

Last edited by toosie; 06-04-2011 at 07:49 PM..

Old 06-04-2011, 07:46 PM

16,257 posts, read 43,168,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toosie View Post
What can you tell me about ordering and eating at a Korean restaurant? In particular - what approach is expected/proper and what habits would be considered wrong or get a laugh/frown out of native Koreans?

For example - is it ok for a couple to order an appetizer and only 1 entree to share? We ordered 2 entrees the first and only time we went to a Korean restaurant and it was way too much for us (bibimbap and spicy pork).

Also - I know the spoon is for rice but do you put some meat/veg in the rice bowl and then spoon it up or swap back and forth between a bite of meat with chopsticks and a spoon of rice or what?

I realize that we can end up doing whatever we prefer but I'd like to know what's expected and how to go about constructing the meal first and then adjust from there. Thanks in advance for your feedback!
Having lived in Korea for 7-8 years...and been to many Korean restaurants whenever I go back to the States - as I love to order in Korean, and show my friends the food.

Basically, Koreans LOVE to help a non-Korean with their food. They are always accomodating and difficult to offend, and aren't the kind of people to laugh at non-Koreans eating their food.

If you really want to adhere to one particularly important Korean custom, than you should recieve things with two hands. When you pay as well. Although in the U.S., this wouldn't be expected.

Food-wise. If in Korea, and there are two of you. You should order the same thing, two of the same thing. It's rather strange (and individualistic) if people are ordering different things, and no one else is in the restaurant. However, if in America, I'm sure they just expect it to be two different orders.

Which also means that if you come in as two, and order one meal, they'll find it strange.

Another thing, Koreans will seldom ever go into a restaurant solo, by themselves. Especially in Korea. I think they get use to the American way of people eating by themselves often, but it will be very strange if in Korea. Usually. I certainly ate by myself at times in Korea though.

Hmm...the spoon. I seldom ever used a spoon for anything in Korea. But, yeah, there were certain fried rice dishes, and bibimbab where they give you a spoon as well. Probably the best rule is to watch what others are using with what. It varies. I can't think of a general rule, but there are certain dishes were Koreans use a spoon - rice type dishes. But if you have the metal bowl of rice accompanying your meal, that is always with a chopsticks. Depends.

Since another poster mentioned WATER. Generally, in Korea, they give you small little glass and fill it with half a serving of water. I don't know why they do, but they do. Almost all of these restaurants have a self-service of water. A water cooler somewhere in the restaurant, either the waiter will fill it up (no problem for them, and they aren't offended), or you can just refill it yourself. I drink a lot of water, and have no problem whatsoever with continously asking for more, and Koreans are not offended by this at all.

Coca-colas are a little unusual for Koreans during Korean meals. Most restaurants won't serve it. But I think in America where most Americans drink it all the time, I see it more and more being available.

Korean restaurants also have MANY MANY side dishes. These are free. However, I noticed that sometimes out of Korea, they charge you for these. In Korea, they NEVER will charge you for them. Also, if you like a certain one or two or three of them and eat them quickly, they'll just replenish them, unlimited. They are mostly just vegetable types of dishes, variations of kimchi, etc.

Probably tons of other things...but those are some Koreans love to share their food customs, so they'll quickly help out. They'll really 'eat it up', if you show interest at their restaurants.

Old 06-04-2011, 07:50 PM

16,257 posts, read 43,168,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toosie View Post
For example - Korean BBQ is served with lettuce leaves. Some ppl don't bother with the lettuce or eat it as a salad. Apparently, though, the typical way is to tear off some of the lettuce and put a bit of sauce, a bite of grilled meat, and maybe some grilled garlic in there, roll it all up and pop the entire bundle into your mouth at once. At least, I think I got that right. Pretty handy - and maybe something a novice wouldn't think of or know on their own without instruction or seeing the example.
Yes, tear off the lettuce leaf, and hold it in your hand. Than use your chopsticks, put some beef on your lettuce leaf. Than optionally grab some rice and put a little on there. Than optionally put on garlic or something similar that is on the grill. You shouldn't put any side dishes in there, although I occassionally see foreigners doing that - those are eat in separate bites.

Lastly, the red pastey sauce. That goes last, you pull up a portion with your chopsticks, and place it on top of the meat/garlic thats on your lettuce leaf. I haven't heard of or seen anyone dip the lettuce leaf in that sauce before (as you mentioned). However, I suppose if the chopsticks are hard, that that could be a good coping method

Old 06-04-2011, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Basically, Koreans LOVE to help a non-Korean with their food.
Excellent - I'm hoping that the restaurant won't be too busy when we go so we can ask the waitress. This will be in the US, by the way.
Quote:
If you really want to adhere to one particularly important Korean custom, than you should recieve things with two hands. When you pay as well. Although in the U.S., this wouldn't be expected.
LOL! Can't wait to share this one with my husband and family. They kid me because I lift my glass for a refill or take it back with both hands instead of one. Finally, I'll be the one in the norm!
Quote:
Food-wise. If in Korea, and there are two of you. You should order the same thing, two of the same thing. It's rather strange (and individualistic) if people are ordering different things, and no one else is in the restaurant. However, if in America, I'm sure they just expect it to be two different orders.
Wow really? I'd never guess that. This will be in the U.S. but what an interesting and (to me) odd custom. When I asked I meant that, since they bring the sides for free I didn't know if it was like a rip off for a couple to order only one entree and share. Sort of like when one person gets the salad bar and the partner ends up asking for a plateful that's essentially free. KWIM? Just bad form. On the other hand, in most US restaurants is alright to share an entree - and sometimes they do a shared plate charge (or the waiter might grumble because it's a two top with a one person tip).
Quote:
Hmm...the spoon. I seldom ever used a spoon for anything in Korea. But, yeah, there were certain fried rice dishes, and bibimbab where they give you a spoon as well. Probably the best rule is to watch what others are using with what. It varies. I can't think of a general rule, but there are certain dishes were Koreans use a spoon - rice type dishes. But if you have the metal bowl of rice accompanying your meal, that is always with a chopsticks. Depends.
Oh hmmm. I've heard really opposite comments on the whole spoon/rice thing. We used ours to get food from the communal plate to our little plates. Then we used chopsticks in our individual rice bowls. That was before I read some about Korean customs. My husband is horrible with chopsticks and lifted the bowl of rice in order to eat. I was fine leaving it on the table and using my sticks - and think I'd prefer that to using a spoon anyway. Probably he'll ask for a fork next time
Quote:
Since another poster mentioned WATER. Generally, in Korea, they give you small little glass and fill it with half a serving of water.
Oh good lord - we drink a lot of water, too - that'd be the end of Korean dining for us LOL.
Quote:
Korean restaurants also have MANY MANY side dishes. These are free. However, I noticed that sometimes out of Korea, they charge you for these. In Korea, they NEVER will charge you for them. Also, if you like a certain one or two or three of them and eat them quickly, they'll just replenish them, unlimited. They are mostly just vegetable types of dishes, variations of kimchi, etc.
Those were my favorite part of the meal - OMG I could have eaten just those and rice and been so happy. The cabbage kimchee was fine - I'd had that before. Loved the cucumber and radish ones even more. Plus there was some mild odd thing that the waitress said was fish. It didn't taste fishy or like much of anything - I could imagine that it was diagonally sliced rings of octopus or something. We were clueless as to which entree they went with or how they were to be included. Now I'm learning that some assortment like that comes with any meal and you just pick at them throughout on their own - not mixed in with the other food.
Quote:
Lastly, the red pastey sauce. That goes last, you pull up a portion with your chopsticks, and place it on top of the meat/garlic thats on your lettuce leaf.
Aha - ok I thought it'd be in the beginning.

Thanks much for your thoughtful reply - it was quite helpful and informative!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink