Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2017, 06:42 PM

17,342 posts, read 11,277,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
^^^ Exactly! Pizza is so easy to make for a fraction of what you pay at the restaurant!
I make pizza at home and I'm a pizzaholic. I love pizza. I could eat it every day and not get tired of it. I try to make it at least once every couple of weeks but in the summer less often because it's so danged hot I hate turning on the oven.
I made one a few days ago deep dish style in a 15 x 10 glass baking dish with some sliced heirloom tomatoes on top a neighbor gave me and thinly sliced salami instead of pepperoni, some Italian herbs, a little garlic powder, tomato sauce and mozzarella cheese. It was to die for if I do say so myself
It probably cost me about $7 to make if that much and I ate it for 3 days. I had leftover the following night and then brought a couple pieces into work for lunch too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2017, 01:40 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,595,230 times
After relocating here to TN no pizza except made at home. There is one steak & pizza place We will try. Once. Pizza is not something I should eat but every 6 months it's time to blow the carbs out.

Old 07-25-2017, 07:36 PM

3,169 posts, read 5,163,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
I'm looking at a pizza advertisement at this very moment: large three-topping pizzas $7.99 each. <mic drop>
I can never pos rep you! I run out of rep before you run out of good things to say!

Old 07-25-2017, 09:52 PM

143 posts, read 158,721 times
Classic New York style pizza is good. A lot of people talk about New York vs Chicago or whatever, and both are good. However my favorites are some of the ones that are less talked about. Detroit pizza at Buddy's original location on Conant st and Frank Pepe's white clam pizza in New Haven were both amazing albeit they don't get the fanfare that pizza in NY and Chicago get.

Old 07-26-2017, 06:35 PM

17,342 posts, read 11,277,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Mantegna View Post
Classic New York style pizza is good. A lot of people talk about New York vs Chicago or whatever, and both are good. However my favorites are some of the ones that are less talked about. Detroit pizza at Buddy's original location on Conant st and Frank Pepe's white clam pizza in New Haven were both amazing albeit they don't get the fanfare that pizza in NY and Chicago get.
To be fair to both NY and Conn, they are both NY style Italian or Southern Italian style pizza. New Haven was at least at one time a Mecca for Italian immigrants including my parents. The pizza styles are no different than pizzas from NY. At least that's what I remember growing up there.
Everyone had their favorite pizza places of course, but the pizza style didn't change between NY and New Haven, unlike Chicago where it's a whole different style of pizza.

Old 07-29-2017, 01:29 PM

We did go out to a fine dining restaurant last night that featured a wide array of Italian and American dishes. I went to try the pizza. Sticker shock. $12 for a small. Part of the price was justifiable for the atmosphere and part because it was as good as I've ever had, but $12? Seems like yesterday a good large pizza was $4.99.

Old 07-29-2017, 01:31 PM

43,659 posts, read 44,393,687 times
I like veggie topped pizza. I also like pizza topped with slices of potato (which I have only seen in Israel).

Old 07-29-2017, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
I like veggie topped pizza. I also like pizza topped with slices of potato (which I have only seen in Israel).
This sounds intriguing. May try this tonight at home with slices of summer squash and potatoes. Maybe a few bacon crumbles too.

Old 07-29-2017, 03:48 PM

20,935 posts, read 28,420,556 times
I love our local pizza shop called Gio's. My favorite pizza's there are:

Grilled chicken square: thin square pizza with grilled chicken, fresh Mozz, roasted red peppers and balsamic glaze.

Chicken bacon ranch: fried chicken bites, ranch dressing, cheddar and Mozz. and bacon

Eggplant: fried eggplant fresh Mozz. and red sauce.

Mushroom pizza-regular pie topped with fresh mushrooms

Sicilian

Potato and egg pie- It's deep dish, with sliced potatoes, scrambled eggs, onions and mozzarella. Kind of like a breakfast pizza. no sauce.

Old 07-29-2017, 04:36 PM

Homemade pizza tonight with from the garden sliced potatoes and yellow squash, red onion and mushrooms. Large for less than $4
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink