Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2007, 05:36 PM

2,179 posts, read 6,701,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleMissSunshine View Post
Alfredo sauce pizza is good, but alfredo pizza isn't what Italians tradionally consider "white pizza". The alfredo thing is more like a new age topping craze. White pizza is an old school thing and would never have alfredo sauce on it.
Agreed. Traditional white is olive oil, garlic, onions, cheese, and oregano.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2007, 06:34 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,000,032 times
White pizza isn't really Italian at all....here is the real thing - I've made this many times - simple and delicious and authentic:

Pizza Margarita

For the dough:

* 11/3 cups warm water (105° to 115°)
* 1 pinch sugar
* 21/4 teaspoons active dry yeast (1 package)
* 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 3 to 4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour

For the topping:

* 1 28-ounce can crushed San Marzano tomatoes
* 1 pound fresh mozzarella, sliced thinly
* extra-virgin olive oil for drizzling
* salt
* fresh basil

Mix the sugar into the water and add the yeast. Stir once and allow to sit for 10 minutes. Mix olive oil and salt into yeast mixture and begin adding flour a little bit at a time, stirring with a wooden spoon. When it becomes too thick for the spoon, mix with your hands. Add flour until you have a soft, but not sticky, dough. Knead dough on a floured surface for 10 minutes. Coat the inside of a mixing bowl with olive oil and place the dough ball inside, flipping it so that its entire surface gets oiled. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and allow to rise in a warm place until doubled in size, 1 to 2 hours. Punch to deflate dough, turn it out onto a countertop and divide it into the number of pizzas you wish to make. Knead each small piece until smooth and uniform and allow to rest for 20 minutes under a dish towel before shaping. Preheat the oven to 500°. Simmer tomatoes over medium heat for about 10 minutes. Shape each dough piece into a 1/4-inch-thick round and place on a cornmeal-covered baking sheet without sides. Put a thin layer of tomato and mozzarella on each round of pizza dough and sprinkle with olive oil and salt. Bake for 7 to 8 minutes, or until the cheese has melted and the crust is golden. Tear the fresh basil onto the pizza and serve immediately. Makes 2 12-inch or 3 9-inch pizzas.

Old 09-09-2007, 09:58 AM

355 posts, read 2,698,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by princesspolamalu View Post
Pizza is my favorite food!!!! What makes a pizza great? What are your favorite pizza toppings? What is the most exotic pizza you have ever tried? Where are the best pizza places in the country or the world for that matter? I have tasted all of the pizza in the city of Pittsburgh and would like to know where the good pie is in the rest of the US.
I like any kinds of pizza , and like all toppings. Currently , my favorite pizza places are Dominoes and Papa Johns. I love pizza , i would eat pizza for every meal if I could. But unfortunately if I did I would be as big as a house!!!! LOL!

Old 09-09-2007, 04:04 PM

38,707 posts, read 102,807,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nashcash23 View Post
I like any kinds of pizza , and like all toppings. Currently , my favorite pizza places are Dominoes and Papa Johns.
Oh, you poor thing... aren't there any decent, REAL pizza places in Nashville that you don't have to resort to eating chain junk? If you love pizza, you'll soon find that there is a much, much, MUCH tastier world out there beyond Domino's and Papa John's.

Old 09-09-2007, 08:26 PM

3,256 posts, read 8,882,794 times
One of the best pizzas I've had is at Pizza Express in the UK. My fave though has to be New York Style with thin crust, fresh mozzarella and mushrooms.... Actually one of my favorite types is just sauce, nice cheese, and fresh mushrooms. I also love pineaplle in pizza, I know a lot of people don't.

Old 09-13-2007, 04:51 AM

2,994 posts, read 3,757,203 times
Oh wow....

I love pizza!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!
I'm Italian and pizza is my favorite food. Pizza and desserts!!!! I can live for these foods.

My favorite topping pizza is (tomato + mozzarella cheese) with onions and tuna or only onions or....all toppings.

In USA I like Pepperoni pizza

Old 09-13-2007, 04:52 AM

2,994 posts, read 3,757,203 times
princesspolamalu , pizza and Disney..

we have the same flavors

Old 09-13-2007, 06:44 AM

3,256 posts, read 8,882,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minniemouse View Post
In USA I like Pepperoni pizza

That's about what 99% of america likes. I personally think there are sooo many other worthy toppings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridadreamer View Post
One of the best pizzas I've had is at Pizza Express in the UK. My fave though has to be New York Style with thin crust, fresh mozzarella and mushrooms.... Actually one of my favorite types is just sauce, nice cheese, and fresh mushrooms. I also love pineaplle in pizza, I know a lot of people don't.
Actually, thinking about it now, White Pizza with just the cheese, olive oil and lots of garlic is also a fave. Mmmmm.

Old 09-17-2007, 03:26 PM

476 posts, read 1,570,968 times
Think crust is the best. My favorite toppings are roasted red pepper with grilled chicken.

Old 09-17-2007, 03:41 PM

1,304 posts, read 4,177,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miklaur View Post
Think crust is the best. My favorite toppings are roasted red pepper with grilled chicken.
That sounds quite yummy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink