Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2013, 03:36 PM

2,279 posts, read 4,743,396 times

Advertisements

I'm curious as to what sort of tipping guidelines everyone uses when you pick up carryout food? I never know how to tip in this situation.

I generally tip 20% for table service (unless the service was deplorably horrid), but it doesn't seem quite right to tip 20% when I'm in the restaurant for 3 minutes and not getting my drink refilled, being checked on every 10 minutes, etc.

Old 04-15-2013, 03:40 PM

271 posts, read 600,559 times
Not to be cheap, but I wouldn't even tip for this. If I pick up pizza, I don't tip. If I eat there or have it delivered I would tip.

Old 04-15-2013, 05:38 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,184,960 times
Picking up a pizza I give a buck for each person there because the most that can be there is 3 usually 2. They are making minimum wage get very little tips so 2 bucks won't hurt me but it might help them.

Old 04-16-2013, 07:54 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wry_Martini View Post
I'm curious as to what sort of tipping guidelines everyone uses when you pick up carryout food? I never know how to tip in this situation.

I generally tip 20% for table service (unless the service was deplorably horrid), but it doesn't seem quite right to tip 20% when I'm in the restaurant for 3 minutes and not getting my drink refilled, being checked on every 10 minutes, etc.
It would never occur to me to tip for take out food: who do you tip? The person who hands it to you, the person who put the pizza in the box, who? I understand why some people do tip for take out, I just think the tipping policies have gone a little too far and I don't consider myself particularly cheap...We do have to remember, even though it is an American custom to tip, the tip is still meant to be for service and where do we draw the line? For those who do tip for take out, would you have tipped the salesperson who checked to see how you were doing in the days when dept. stores still had regular sales people? My gut feeling is, no, you would not. And many of them worked for min wage or close. I know I worked for a major dept. store in college.

Old 04-16-2013, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
It would never occur to me to tip for take out food: who do you tip? The person who hands it to you, the person who put the pizza in the box, who? I understand why some people do tip for take out, I just think the tipping policies have gone a little too far and I don't consider myself particularly cheap...We do have to remember, even though it is an American custom to tip, the tip is still meant to be for service and where do we draw the line? For those who do tip for take out, would you have tipped the salesperson who checked to see how you were doing in the days when dept. stores still had regular sales people? My gut feeling is, no, you would not. And many of them worked for min wage or close. I know I worked for a major dept. store in college.
Only take out I tip at is this one pizza joint they deserve it IMO because they both stand and make the orders the whole time they are there. Plus there is always a constant flow of people in and out there like I said $2 isn't going to hurt me every couple of months. I get what you are saying which is why I don't tip elsewhere take out not even at the Chinese place where the tip jar is as big as my head on top of the cash register.

Old 04-16-2013, 02:08 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,870,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson View Post
...they both stand and make the orders the whole time they are there...
Sounds like you're tipping the person who's preparing your food - that's who I would rather tip.

Old 04-16-2013, 04:18 PM

709 posts, read 955,026 times
I talked to the girl at my coffee/doughnut shop about tipping. She said most people leave a small tip and she is thankful because she is paid a waitress hourly wage. $2.85 an hour. Seems to me some small business owners take advantage of the "waitress" job description. She makes out okay because she provides great service and is very friendly. Too bad it has to be that way.

Old 04-16-2013, 04:39 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,870,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wadejay26 View Post
...she is paid a waitress hourly wage. $2.85 an hour...
When I worked in a restaurant the waitresses were "paid" $1.35 an hour - but they were "guaranteed" minimum wage. So, if the tips didn't make up the difference the restaurant paid the difference.

Old 04-16-2013, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
Sounds like you're tipping the person who's preparing your food - that's who I would rather tip.
Yes it is the ones cooking then one of them take your money I would not give a tip to just a cashier.

Old 05-21-2013, 10:03 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,830,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Yes, we have discussed tipping from almost every aspect but a couple of things came to me this past week and I wondered how others feel.??/

One, is it me and just getting old or do others of you feel this way: When we went to the Habachi Grill the other day, all the wait person did was ask if we wanted water? end of story. I would normally leave a couple of bucks, but we only left one? How would you have handled it? 2-when you call an order in and pick it up, do you tip?I don't think we ever have, but I wonder if we should and 3-do you tip when you pay the bill at a walk up order and pick up your meal, like at a Micky D;s, if they have a tip jar staring at you?
Do you order from the chef in those places? I guess you order from the chef there? I don't tip on call in orders. Maybe a buck or two if they have a jar. Someone did prepare your meal, but you have no idea who did it. I once ordered 25 bucks worth of steak dinner from a Denny's once and I showed up and the lady at the register handed me a bag and said, what about the tip? And I was thinking, you just handed me a bag. Maybe she boxed it all up and made sure I had extra napkins and butter for my potato... and no, it was just crappy over cooked steak and potatoes and a brown salad in a bag. She can't help that though. I've tipped a waitress good when we go bad food, but good service. Not her fault.

. Tipping is a crapshoot. I like the Japanese way of tipping. It's already included. And if it's a late night meal, the cover charge is higher. Cuz noodles at 2 AM and noodles at 2 PM should cost different. GIVE ME MY NOODLES NOW>
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink