Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 02:12 AM

9 posts, read 27,270 times

Advertisements

Im actually attempting to write an etiquette style book on dining out and tipping ect. I was researching online and found this website and the tipping topic was being discussed. I kinda want some feedback here is all. Im am a full time student and after school I waitress. I have worked as a server for 6 years during my education. We make MINIMUM WAGE which is peanuts and we work our tails off to give great service and we work for our tips. If people didnt tip, then I would not have that job. I believe that the tip you get is based on your promptness, your service. TIP stands for "To Insure Promptness". If Im crazy busy and cant fully accomodate a table as I think I should then I expect a lousy tip. I feel the same way when I go out and if the server does a crappy job, then I dont give them even an 18 percent tip. But , if I work my butt off for 5 hours straight sprinting through the skinny hallway at my work and giving outstanding service, then I expect good tips for that night. (there is no such thing as too big of a tip) I feel as though we get what we deserve. or at least we should. I get pretty irritated when I hear people saying that they dont feel they should have to tip. Kind of like when you hear the person complaining about the government and how "unfair" taxes are and the law ect ect, but you come to find out they arent even registered to vote. Its sort of irritating like that! I believe that traditions, habits or whatever you want to call them are aquired over time and tipping is nothing new. I could go get a job as a telemarketer, and maybe get paid more. But why, when we work our tail off and make (most of the time) great tips with great hours. And we have interaction with people not calling 300 people and getting hung up on by 275. I have a lot of respect for telemarketers I know how hard that job is!! BUT, waitressing is a lot of work. Maybe not if your the rude server who doesnt take the job seriously and dont feel like there is any sort of rush , but someone who takes it seriosuly and does all they can to make the customer enjoy themselves, now they are the hard workers. A lot of people in this world feel like certain things dont apply to them. Like tipping, or waiting in lines, or being quiet during a movie at the theater. Catch my drift. I just cant imagine going to the car wash and watching those guys work as hard as they do in 100 degree heat and saying to yourself when they hand you your keys "Why would I need to tip them ?" They make minimum wage and they work for tips. Please!!! that job is a lot of work. Do they not deserve a 3 dollar tip??. Tipping is part of any service you recieve, nails , hair, dining in or getting something to go , car wash , tattoo's whatever. Any time your recieve a service, you should tip that person! I feel that if you cant afford to tip, you cant afford to eat out! bottom line. Its a given (for most people) that when they dine out they are paying for the food at the restaraunt and tipping the server..SERVER. Because they served you ! Sorry I rambled, I guess I had to get it off my chest!! Thanks for reading

Old 08-06-2007, 07:30 AM

786 posts, read 1,176,422 times
So... was this just a rant, or was there something you wanted to discuss?

Old 08-06-2007, 08:39 AM

2,356 posts, read 3,476,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loloash View Post
I could go get a job as a telemarketer, and maybe get paid more. But why, when we work our tail off and make (most of the time) great tips with great hours. And we have interaction with people not calling 300 people and getting hung up on by 275. I have a lot of respect for telemarketers I know how hard that job is!!
I don't! I hate telemarketers, and have no sympathy for them, nor do I have any respect for what they do.

Quote:
I just cant imagine going to the car wash and watching those guys work as hard as they do in 100 degree heat and saying to yourself when they hand you your keys "Why would I need to tip them ?" They make minimum wage and they work for tips. Please!!! that job is a lot of work. Do they not deserve a 3 dollar tip??. Tipping is part of any service you recieve, nails , hair, dining in or getting something to go , car wash , tattoo's whatever. Any time your recieve a service, you should tip that person!
I disagree. I'll tip a handful of different people - wait staff, valets, bartenders, delivery people, etc. - but tipping for just any type of service I receive? No way. When I get a car wash, I pay for the cost of that car wash, and it's up to whoever gets that revenue (the business) to equitably distribute it to their employees for the work they've done. The fact is, if someone's car wash job isn't paying enough for them, that's between the employer and the employee, and shouldn't be forced upon me as "my problem".

Old 08-06-2007, 08:39 AM

325 posts, read 1,077,344 times
I feel your pain. I have been a server and bartender for years. Lucky you get minimum wage. We make only 2.83 per hour plus tips. Servers probably work harder than anyone in the service industry and most customers dont appereciate the hard work we do. I understand the running like an idiot and some customers flagging you down with the dreaded..."Excuse me Miss" or "Waitress". Many customers are impatient and some are even flat out rude they dont understand that you have a 5 table section and everyone needs refils or ketchup or extra napkins. Plus the other table wants their check all seperate of course and they all pay with 20's. Then as the two other tables are leaving and you are getting change for the seperate checks you are getting double sat......AGAIN. I understand believe me. And then even though a customer sees you are clearly busy and could not have possibly been as attentive as you would have like they leave you two bucks on a thirty dollar check. It just makes you angry. I have always been a firm believer that everyone in this country should be required to wait tables for a week to see what we go through.

Old 08-06-2007, 11:21 AM

Thank you. I definitely know i rambled but I get so frustrated sometime, especially when i hear people say " we dont deserve a tip " or " its not rocket science" Your so right about everything you said. I could probably go on for days! I totally agree that people should have to wait tables at one point in their life. can you say new reality show idea??thanks so much

Old 08-06-2007, 11:31 AM

to anonymous, the thing with the car wash, where I live , I have never seen anyone not tip a car wash worker. Its a given and I was only using them as an example. To me it sort of all works the same. With waitresses, they serve the food to the customer. the customer pays the resteraunt for the food plus they tip the waitress. I dont see a car wash being any different. At a car wash you pay for the car wash to the establishment and then you also tip who served you or in the case washed the car. Im having a hard time seeing the differences?

Old 08-06-2007, 11:35 AM

To Shuke, well i guess it was sort of was a rant. Like I said I read something about people not feeling as though they should have to tip servers, so I wanted to get some stuff out and see what others felt. With this issue I have a hard time seeing others points of views if they dont feel the same way. Im pretty close minded about all of it. Although that may not be right. Im just trying to see how other people feel about it.

Old 08-06-2007, 12:01 PM

786 posts, read 1,176,422 times
Quote:
to With waitresses, they serve the food to the customer. the customer pays the resteraunt for the food plus they tip the waitress. I dont see a car wash being any different. At a car wash you pay for the car wash to the establishment and then you also tip who served you or in the case washed the car. Im having a hard time seeing the differences?
Well, one difference is that restaurants are legally allowed to pay wait staff less than minimum wage because tipping is customary in that industry. I'm pretty sure car washes are required to pay at least the minimum wage to their workers.

So if you cannot distinguish the difference between the waiter and the car wash worker, where do you draw the line when it comes to tipping anyone who performs a service for you? Do you tip your mailman? Trash collector? How about auto mechanic... you have to pay the shop for the auto repair... don't you tip the mechanic who did the work? What if your car gets towed? Don't you tip the driver? How about professional service providers? If you go to the Emergency Room, do you tip the doctor who helped you? I mean, you have to pay the hospital for the visit, right? Why not tip the doctor who worked on you? Need X-Rays? Better tip the radiologist. Etc.

Old 08-06-2007, 12:54 PM

2,356 posts, read 3,476,287 times
Quote:
To me it sort of all works the same. With waitresses, they serve the food to the customer. the customer pays the resteraunt for the food plus they tip the waitress. I dont see a car wash being any different. At a car wash you pay for the car wash to the establishment and then you also tip who served you or in the case washed the car. Im having a hard time seeing the differences?
I'm paying the restaurant for the entire experience. The food, the building, the entertainment, the atmosphere, the service, the electricity I'm using - everything. It just happens to be the custom in the United States that businesses can get away with underpaying their wait staff and bartenders, because it is customary to tip, and the employers can get away with it. It isn't like that all over the world; tipping in other countries is much less common.

When I pay to get my car washed, if the car wash owner wants to come do it himself, that's fine with me. If he wants to pay a kid $6/hour to do it, then that's fine with me as well. Either way, I'm not going to pay two different people for one service.

Also, tipping for every possible service could lead to some problems. In some industries, tipping is also known as "bribing." You could say that big corporations and lobbies like to "tip" politicians for doing such a great job. Or you could try to "tip" that police officer for doing such a good job pulling you over.

In short: I believe that tipping is a ripoff that we all have to put up with, because of etiquitte. Other cultures do perfectly fine without tipping. And I survived in college as a valet, working for tips only.

Old 08-06-2007, 12:57 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,428,143 times
loloash - here is a tip (from someone who usually tips 18-20%) - if you are writing a book that you plan for others to read, make sure you utilize more than one paragraph. A block of text like that is difficult for your readers to chew through.

Also, that myth of what TIP stands for can easily be disproved by anyone who knows the correct definitions for the following words: ensure, and insure.

I agree with anonymous. Bad call on the telemarketers. They have their own circle of hell waiting for them in Dante's Inferno.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink