Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2011, 03:35 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
I like the Omaha Steaks products. I particularly like the stuffed sole.

I buy from them on a regular basis. The one thing I am not personally familiar with is their steaks. My brother-in-law and sister love their steaks and hamburger meat. My BIL loves to grill.

I prefer the chicken and seafood. I rarely eat steak but I like their franks. They are juicy and don't "cook down" like other brands do.

Their customer service is great. I have never had a problem with their products or customer service.

I think it's a good deal.
you like the stuffed sole? I guess this shows us how subjective food is. I won't say it is bad, it is just nothing, tasteless and more whatever than crab or anything else plus it would hardly feed a child. As I have said, the hamburgers are really good, the rest, I have my doubts the calfs are from NE.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2011, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Or you could spend the same amount of money, at the store, pick out your own fresh meat, you don't need the knives, or cutting board anyway--unless you regift them to someone for Christmas.
We had our 3 times a year meat sale today at our favorite indepentent grocery store. It is the first time since we moved here I didn't buy anything. Our freezer is pretty full. Next time I will be more than ready, but here wer the prices: Top Sirloin: $4.49 a lb, chuck: $3.99 lb: Tenderloin: $9.95: pork loin and other pork cuts from $2.99 to 3.99. I don't remember all the prices, but they were in the ball park. Yes, you have to buy in bulk, but you get everything cut the way you like it. Oh, boneless chicken breasts: $1.59 lb. Put that next to Omaha and you will realize what it is good and not good.

Nita

Old 06-18-2011, 05:30 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,273,687 times
I guess that the other thing I did not like about the Omaha Steaks is that they were cut so thin that it was nearly impossible NOT to overcook them. I am just glad that they are gone.

Old 06-18-2011, 05:49 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,813,341 times
I bought one of their specials for $30 or so after seeing it on fatwallet.com. I didn't care for anything that I have tried so far. The steaks were mediocre, the stuffed baked potatoes were horrible, and the chicken breasts were just tiny portions of chicken breast. I still have the bacon wrapped filets and plan to try them tomorrow along with some whole lobsters I got at Kroger. I hope the filets aren't horrible as they are for Father's Day dinner.

Old 06-18-2011, 07:05 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,942,396 times
Support your local meat market.

Old 06-18-2011, 08:39 PM

4,176 posts, read 10,687,536 times
My mom used to be an Omaha Steaks fanatic (we lived in SC at the time). She bought their meats and had them delivered about every other month. Their quality was excellent 'way back when - then it rapidly started to go downhill.

When I moved out here I found out just what a ripoff they actually were. The first year I bought a half of an Angus grassfed cow (professionally butchered at the local meat processor, to my specifications) from a neighbor for $.99 a pound, butchered weight. I buy a whole hog (+ or - 70 pounds) for $.89 a pound, butchered weight - and the price includes brining/smoking the hams and bacon. (They threw in the backfat for free when they found out I wanted to render my own lard).

Farm-raised and especially grassfed has less fat and gristle, is more tender, and is more flavorful. Once those cattle are auctioned off, shipped to the feedlots for awhile where they are fed grain for at least 6 weeks, unable to move about, they fatten up, gain weight, are sold again by weight and then butchered. All I can figure is that Omaha Steaks buys their meat from a processor, post-feedlot now. They are like tugboat mats.

Now I raise my own Dexter-breed cows and we will be butchering our first steer this fall. I am really looking forward to it - I know what he's been eating, and where he's been wandering (developing that all-important muscle), and even whom he's been having his little cow-battles with, since he was a calf!

Old 06-18-2011, 11:36 PM

38,885 posts, read 22,870,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogmama50 View Post
I've ordered them as gifts my parents and farther in law they seem to enjoy them. I did get put on the junk mail and sales call list, but one day picked up the call and asked to please be taken off the list and she was very pleasant and I haven't heard from them since.
That's probably what I should have done. But I have to admit that the phone agents were always pleasant, as was my experience with interacting with the local Omaha residents when I visited. Just LOVE that Midwestern hospitality!

Old 06-19-2011, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
I guess that the other thing I did not like about the Omaha Steaks is that they were cut so thin that it was nearly impossible NOT to overcook them. I am just glad that they are gone.
My gripe as well. I think the best thing to do with the steak is to make steak sandwhiches maybe?.

I think, at one time their quality was very good, times change!!

Old 06-19-2011, 03:29 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,273,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
My gripe as well. I think the best thing to do with the steak is to make steak sandwhiches maybe?.

I think, at one time their quality was very good, times change!!

My feeling is that if you are looking to buy world class meats and want a GREAT steak, you go to the best:

Steaks Online, Prime Beef, and Gourmet Meats - Allen Brothers

Old 06-19-2011, 03:44 PM

1,909 posts, read 3,783,033 times
Just got Fillet Mignons the other day. Fantastic. You don't even really need a knife.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink