Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2011, 10:03 AM

16,395 posts, read 30,307,800 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caligula1 View Post
Do you take off the silverskin? I do, but for some is it a prefrence?
I would do it if I was running a restaurant. I would NOT if I was at home.

The only silverskin I take off at home is the one on a tenderloin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2011, 10:06 AM

6,489 posts, read 8,822,610 times
I never boil them. For baby back ribs I rub them down with a seasoning blend, place on a baking sheet lined with heavy duty foil, seal the foil, and cook for a few hours at a very low temp. Just before serving I open up the foil and brush with sauce then cook for another 30 min. or so at a higher temp.

For country style ribs; season them, brown them, place in a cast iron pan with lid and add a bottle of beer and some sliced onion. Cover and bake 1.5 hours. Then drain off the beer, apply BBQ sauce and continue baking until done...maybe another hour or so.

I like grilled ribs, but we rarely grill anything because it is usually to damn hot in Houston to be standing outside cooking.

Old 06-19-2011, 11:10 AM

2,404 posts, read 6,274,691 times
Quote:
I'm making some right now, I put a dry rub on last night.
I cover the pan tightly with foil no liquid on 225 for 3 hours.
Drain off any liquid that does come off, cool and grill later.

Maybe I'll try the 200 degrees and an hour longer next time.

I just assumed you wrapped the ribs up in foil. Guess that's why I didn't mention that. I wrap the whole ribs up folded up in foil, not just covered. After an 1-1/2 or so I pull them out open them up & lay flat in pan and continue cooking them.

Taking skin off...
I peel it off with a sharp small knife to get it started then pull the rest of it off with paper towels waded up, gives you a better grip getting it off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Also, about the silverskin (that's the thin skin on the bottom, right?) ... I kind of enjoy ripping it off with my teeth. Rawr!

It's just a preference thing... You can Rawrrrrr if you want to. LOL...

***Just a note ***
I almost forgot... you don't want to cut your ribs before baking them. It dries them out too much. You know how when you bake the tips how they will always be drier then the ribs that our all together.

Last edited by Sillypups; 06-19-2011 at 11:18 AM..

Old 06-19-2011, 01:14 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,821,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slater View Post
I've heard that some folks pre-boil ribs before putting them on the grill and others pre-bake them. Is one preferable to the other?
I used to pre boil them but I just don't thine the texture is the same. Now, we just grill them as slowly as possible.

NIta

Old 06-19-2011, 04:01 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,496,299 times
I remove the silver skin from the top side of the ribs, if any. My gourmet son removes it from the bone side also.

There are actually two good reasons not to boil or steam. The flavor is the first. The second is that steaming and boiling causes the unpleasant connective tissue to detach from the bone. "Falling off the bone" is not actually a good thing in the rib world unless it is the meat and not the meat and the connective tissue. I know a lot of folks eat the whole thing and there is a difference of opinion on this. Please don't flame me but it is possible, easy even, to have the meat fall off and leave the connective tissue on the bone. Really slow cooking at low temp and no steam or boil. FYI

Old 04-26-2013, 03:25 PM

2 posts, read 10,257 times
I have never cooked ribs before and I think I'll try the sealing in foil method for 4 hours at 200 degrees. Then I will put them on the grill. Before sealing, I plan to brush on the barbeque sauce I'm using. I will leave the silverskin on. On the grill, I'll use a little more brushed on sauce and then grill until browned and maybe blackened around the edges.

Old 04-27-2013, 08:29 AM

4,534 posts, read 4,934,509 times
I've never had to precook ribs. THE most important thing to prep ribs is to remove the sheath on the back of the rack. It's an amateur mistake when it isn't removed. Spices and seasonings can't penetrate the membrane, and the membrane make ribs tough to cut/eat if it isn't removed. Maybe that's why people feel the need to precook--in order to make sure the membrane becomes "softer" or easier to cut I suppose after grilling. Just remove it. It isn't hard at all, just use the paper towel trick. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-RL_f8qdJE

Old 04-27-2013, 08:30 AM

Quote:
I've heard that some folks pre-boil ribs before putting them on the grill and others pre-bake them. Is one preferable to the other?
I don't do either. I used to par boil them, but the texture just never seemed the same. I just throw them on the grill, but I can see pre-baking them for a little while first.

Nita

Old 04-27-2013, 08:34 AM

Quote:
I'm making some right now, I put a dry rub on last night.
I cover the pan tightly with foil no liquid on 225 for 3 hours.
Drain off any liquid that does come off, cool and grill later.

Maybe i'll try the 200 degrees and an hour longer next time.

The correct way is to remove the sliverskin, I rarely bother, especially when just making them for the 2 of us. Spoiled brat doesn't know the difference and he doesn't really care.

Old 04-27-2013, 09:41 AM

18,161 posts, read 15,644,849 times
Quote:
I tried pre boiling ..once. It was ok but I way prefer a slow cook. I
If I am doing ribs, I make sure I have time. Fire the smoker up bout noon, have all my woods ready. I use a charcoal/wood mix for coals, silver maple is the hardwood I have on hand for this. If you have fruit trees or Maple etc, save your trimmings and deadwood cuts, comes in handy....When the ribs go on, I have my grill temp just hot enough to throw on an initial sear, then, the smoke goes on, anx the air to the fire gets dialed way down. I know my grill, so timing and adjustments are muscle memory now.

The smoke starts rolling and everbody within a half a mile is sticking tbeir heads out sniffing. From ther, its all in tending the grill, so, as I said, I make sure I have the time. Lol, I get serious about ribs.

My BBQ sauce has a couple secret ingredients, that usually get comments and questions. I don't follow a hard recipe , however.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink