Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2011, 08:38 AM

2,382 posts, read 5,377,235 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I would like to know HOW you quit ( knowingly) putting anything from China in/on your body... Most foods and drinks, meds, medical supplies, cleaning products and/or it components are Made in China.

Anyway: lets look at two niche grocery chains that are associated with the higher end of the marketplace.

In one corner is Trader Joe’s. In the other, Whole Foods.

One is committed to not stocking its shelves with Chinese products (Trader Joe’s)
and the other (Whole Foods) is committed to not only defending the practice, but declaring why it’s a good thing.

“Whole Foods Market continues to buy from China because we believe in supporting farmers that provide high quality products,” the company says in a statement on product sourcing. “Our strategy is not to run away from our Chinese suppliers, but to take a stand and get closer to our suppliers.”
We try to eat as much local, seasonal produce as possible and avoid packaged, processed food. Medications are much harder....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2011, 01:13 PM

20,859 posts, read 28,195,385 times
I have been there 2 times not impressed however I bought 2 lbs of fresh jumbo shrimp to grill on the BBQ and when I got it home the smell was so awful and spoiled it made the whole house stink. I had to return it and I got my money back. The recalled all the shrimp for that day and tossed them.

Old 12-18-2011, 08:52 AM

654 posts, read 3,449,066 times
Good thing there aren't hardly any WF locations here in Michigan; nearest one is 3 hours away from me in Detroit.

My mom (lives in Houston) sometimes go to WF....hearing this now I will have to tell her not to shop there!

Shame...makes you want to go and burn down China for producing substandard and potentially hazardous food products!! Even a health show on the radio I listen to weekly warns against using honey that was made in China as their manufacturing standards are poor.

Good thing there's a Trader Joe's here in my area as well as a good health food store...that's where my dollars will be going!

Old 12-18-2011, 09:17 AM

4,029 posts, read 2,097,958 times
I guess it is possible to avoid buying anything made in China (although not easy). Someone wrote a book about doing it for a year:

Amazon.com: A Year Without "Made in China": One Family's True Life Adventure in the Global Economy (9780470116135): Sara Bongiorni: Books

I think WF does offer a bigger selection of organic/quality products than most stores do, albeit at a high price and they are definitely not perfect (one time I found a product on their shelves that had HFCS in it, even though they generally try to avoid it).

Old 12-18-2011, 10:12 AM

19,963 posts, read 30,042,363 times
I went to the nearby wf once- never been back- I bought an orange- it was 2.00, it was the SAME orange as the nearby supermarket had for 2 for a dollar!!!!!!!!
I read the signs carefully- organics, country of origins- the product didnt always match the signs
I thought they are marketing geniuses- to the volvo/prius/hippie crowd to make themselves feel better about shopping there
the devil is always in the uncomfortable details........

Old 12-21-2011, 07:56 PM

3,948 posts, read 4,292,820 times
This is why I don't buy ANY food from China, particularly frozen fish. I have no problem with China, but I don't trust their water or farming environment. I like Whole Foods, so if this is true, it sucks. I read all of my labels, so I will keep an eye on this. I've never shopped from their meat or seafood department and very rarely from their produce, but I buy local vegetables, diary from there and I like their deli. I agree that they are overpriced.

Old 12-21-2011, 10:10 PM

18,837 posts, read 37,234,968 times
I refer to WF as "Whole Paycheck". I can't afford to shop there.

Old 12-21-2011, 10:51 PM

32,790 posts, read 36,046,145 times
I went to Whole Foods last year to buy a vanilla bean. It was the only place in town which had one on the shelf.

Old 12-22-2011, 04:39 AM

50,073 posts, read 63,428,947 times
It's not only WF either. Even my favorite, Publix, has plenty of food from places I don't want to eat food from. Try finding frozen fish from a place that isn't scary. I don't even care about organic. I just want food that wasn't raised in sewage.

Old 12-22-2011, 04:43 AM

50,073 posts, read 63,428,947 times
That WF is committed to supporting Chinese farmers is bunk. I'd rather support local American farmers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink