Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2011, 01:05 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,692,234 times

Advertisements

Man woman poll would probably be interesting on this issue. Women more then men have a need for personal interaction. Men just want to get the job done as fast as possible which is what most men think of shopping. Unless its a shiny new tool.

Me I love self checkout. Don't have to talk with the half wit checkers most stores employ. When a item doesn't scan I just turn to Ugly Betty and grunt.

Not my term. That's what my Wife calls them even the men. Ugly Bettys. LMAO
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2011, 06:36 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,589,306 times
I love checking my own stuff.............as opposed to dealing with some rude and nasty cashier.

But from what I have read...well, the self-check system is a money loser. Between the scammers learning how to cheat the system and cost of maintainence......well, just not a money saver........too bad for me..........I hate having to listen to some phony dreck such as: "how is your day?".................frick.

Old 07-10-2011, 07:26 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,196,218 times
Thats surprising, you'd think it would be a huge advantage over a union cashier in terms of customers moving thru and cost to operate. The Kroger near me has one person manning eight of those things.

Old 07-10-2011, 10:04 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,273,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJacket View Post
Albertsons LLC, which operates 217 stores in seven Western and Southern states, will eliminate all self-checkout lanes in the 100 stores that have them and will replace them with standard or express lanes, a spokeswoman said..
I don't know if I would call Albertson LLC a MAJOR grocery chain as it is all the stores that NOONE wanted when the chain sold itself to Supervalu about ten years ago. In other words, it is a chain of underperforming locations and unattractive markets.

Personally, I would PREFER self checkout lines. They are very much quicker to get through when you have a few items (which describes ANY trip to a supermarket chain for me as I prefer the local independents).

I WILL say that all the real LOW-PRICE stores have real life cashiers. The OVERPRICED Big 3 chaines (SuperValu, Krogers, Safeway and their affiliates) are moving to less service ... how will they justify the higher prices?

Old 07-11-2011, 05:02 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
I don't know if I would call Albertson LLC a MAJOR grocery chain as it is all the stores that NOONE wanted when the chain sold itself to Supervalu about ten years ago. In other words, it is a chain of underperforming locations and unattractive markets.

Personally, I would PREFER self checkout lines. They are very much quicker to get through when you have a few items (which describes ANY trip to a supermarket chain for me as I prefer the local independents).

I WILL say that all the real LOW-PRICE stores have real life cashiers. The OVERPRICED Big 3 chaines (SuperValu, Krogers, Safeway and their affiliates) are moving to less service ... how will they justify the higher prices?
I think it is called free marketplace (no pun intended) Busisness is there to make money and every cent they can save is a penny in their pocket.

I am not taking sides on the issue as I see both, but I do know (which is hard for most of us to understand) overall the profit on any item is very little. Yes, the retailers are making money due to volume, but we do not realize how much it costs to keep a grocery store opporating.
NIta

Old 07-11-2011, 06:13 AM

19,506 posts, read 9,534,290 times
I like the self-checkout lanes, especially when they work. Sometimes there's problems with the belt locking up/jamming at this one store and you have to wait for one of the cashiers or store managers to clear it or the item is not ringing up when scanned. For the most part tho, they're great to have imo. Wish more stores had them.

Old 07-11-2011, 06:22 AM

19,506 posts, read 9,534,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennismpat View Post
I for one like the self-service checkout lanes. At least in my experience, there tends to be no lines and I get out of the store quicker. Interacting with the checker can be pleasant, but there are times that I've had a grumpy/grouchy one who has absolutely NO business dealing with the public!

I do live near an Albertsons and they do have the self-service checkout, but I don't do my main grocery shopping there.

Amen to that! Too bad I couldn't rep ya for it. Someone is going to counter this with the fact that "maybe they had a bad day"? Yeah, take it out on the customer, by all means

Old 07-11-2011, 06:25 AM

274 posts, read 370,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat1116 View Post
Amen to that! Too bad I couldn't rep ya for it. Someone is going to counter this with the fact that "maybe they had a bad day"? Yeah, take it out on the customer, by all means
How about customers who take out their bad days on the cashier? It goes both ways!

Old 07-11-2011, 06:37 AM

274 posts, read 370,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
At Stop & Shop, you go to this kiosk at the entry doors, and swipe your store card. It releases a hand-held scanner, which also fits into a metal loop right on the handlebar of your grocery cart.

You scan your own stuff, and bag it, before you even get to the cash register. At the produce department, you weigh your own stuff at the produce scale, it prints out the SKU sticker, and you scan that sticker and stick it on the outside of your bag, or on the product itself.

When you get to the self-serve, you scan a UPC code that's printed on a sign above the monitor. It lets the machine know that you're done with your shopping and are now at THAT register. You then swipe your store card at the machine (I'm guessing it's to confirm that it really is you standing there). It pulls up the entire order. You pay for it, stick the scanner in a holder next to the machine, and leave.

Scan as you go, pay on the way out. Doesn't get easier than that. And for those "job elimination" scare-mongers - someone had to manufacture those scanners too.

Edited to add: They even made deli-lines shorter, and ADDED employees to the stores by providing a deli kiosk. You select the items you want by weight/brand/type, hit the finish button, it prints out an order number. You leave the deli counter and do your shopping for the day. By the time you're done shopping, the deli clerk has made up your order and placed it in a cooler, with the number on it so you know it's yours.
Yup, I go to Stop & Shop and I use the self check out EVERY time. OMG, I love being able to go through the store with my scanning gun, zapping everything and putting in my bags! The best part is, because it only takes one scan to add up my entire cart at the end, I get to go to the Express check out - where I'd normally need 12 items or less- and I'm done!

Now, the bad news is, it does get messed up sometimes. But that appears to be simply a problem of the store not keeping the scanner screen clean so you end up having trouble getting things to scan right.

I guess I don't get this idea that people don't like it because they miss the social interaction. I hate shopping, so I want to get in and get out! I don't know that I'm really suffering if I miss out on saying "hello" to the cashier, followed by the "have a nice day" at the end, and a "you too". Sparkling conversation for sure!

Old 07-11-2011, 07:44 AM

8,263 posts, read 12,196,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
I WILL say that all the real LOW-PRICE stores have real life cashiers.
WalMart has self-checkout.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink