Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 02:27 PM

2,501 posts, read 3,649,058 times

Advertisements

Whether you don't have time or don't get hungry in the mornings or whatever, have you ever skipped breakfast?? I unfortunately have a nasty habit of skipping breakfast and only having coffee in the morning. Then later I end up starving!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2011, 02:40 PM

237 posts, read 379,807 times
I'm NEVER hungry right when I get up. I like to get moving first. I guess I'm a brunch person LOL.

Old 07-19-2011, 03:00 PM

61,713 posts, read 87,123,005 times
People who eat breakfast are more likely to maintain a healthy weight. Eating breakfast keeps your metabolism running because skipping meals causes the body to kick into 'starvation' mode (it takes three or four days of not eating for the body to start gearing down). It's more likely that people who regularly eat breakfast also make good dietary choices the rest of the day.
Breakfast should include protein and plenty of fiber; the combination will help satisfy your hunger and will keep you feeling full until lunch time. Therefore sugary cereals, high-calorie pastries, and meats like bacon and sausage that are high in saturated fat and sodium are not a good choices.

Old 07-19-2011, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
People who eat breakfast are more likely to maintain a healthy weight. Eating breakfast keeps your metabolism running because skipping meals causes the body to kick into 'starvation' mode (it takes three or four days of not eating for the body to start gearing down). It's more likely that people who regularly eat breakfast also make good dietary choices the rest of the day.
Breakfast should include protein and plenty of fiber; the combination will help satisfy your hunger and will keep you feeling full until lunch time. Therefore sugary cereals, high-calorie pastries, and meats like bacon and sausage that are high in saturated fat and sodium are not a good choices.
Weird. Then how is it that I can maintain a weight between 107-113 lbs. I'm actually 108 lbs right now and I do this pretty much all the time.

Old 07-19-2011, 03:13 PM

1,036 posts, read 2,835,134 times
^She said people who eat breakfast are more likely to maintain a healthy weight.

Looks like you're reading that to say "people who eat breakfast are the only ones able to maintain a healthy weight" which is not what she said.

Besides, you said on the fitness forum that you're only 20 years old. A lot of times us younger folks can get away with poor nutritional choices & it doesn't seem to affect us as much.

Courtney

Old 07-19-2011, 03:18 PM

Ahh I see.

Old 07-19-2011, 03:18 PM

61,713 posts, read 87,123,005 times
^^^ right! People that do not eat breakfast tend to overeat at lunch. Also for the metabolism is better to have several small portions of food, than 1 or 2 big meals.

Old 07-19-2011, 03:28 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,779,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CancerianMoonPrincess View Post
Weird. Then how is it that I can maintain a weight between 107-113 lbs. I'm actually 108 lbs right now and I do this pretty much all the time.
Shot in the dark here, but it may have something to do with being 20.

When I was twenty I would typically eat a small-to-moderate breakfast, go to class, eat lunch, go to practice, eat dinner at the training table, go to the dorms, eat a pizza and drink 1/2 gallon of whole milk. I gained less than five pounds in two semesters that way, trying my hardest to put on weight.

Old 07-19-2011, 03:34 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,326,230 times
I never eat breakfast. All I want in the morning is my coffee. I never over-eat at lunch either because I only eat dinner. I'm 49, 5'4" and 110 pounds and yes, it is harder to stay thin as you get older (I've weighed less) although I've never had a weight problem. I do physical work a lot of the day because I have a farm and I mostly only eat when I'm hungry.

I am not a sweets person, other than the occasional craving. While I don't disagree with the studies because who can argue with them, I think that a lot depends on your specific metabolism. I'm not recommending people skip meals. I neither try to lose nor gain weight and I think a lot of the over-weight problems in society are the result of the move from a rural life to an urban lifestyle, without a corresponding decrease in the amount people eat.

My husband on the other hand, never skips a meal and has had weight problems all his life.

Old 07-19-2011, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
Shot in the dark here, but it may have something to do with being 20.

When I was twenty I would typically eat a small-to-moderate breakfast, go to class, eat lunch, go to practice, eat dinner at the training table, go to the dorms, eat a pizza and drink 1/2 gallon of whole milk. I gained less than five pounds in two semesters that way, trying my hardest to put on weight.
Wow!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink