Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2011, 10:11 AM

4,196 posts, read 6,422,747 times

Advertisements

I know it's a bit early to ask about this..

Is there a differnce between the IN bird stuffing and an out of bird dressing..?

Is it all the same or different?

I had a little sort of arguement with Granny..She puts eggs in her "stuffing"

It makes it bread pudding like...

Without eggs..I never tried it yet..it would be "stuffing"

Is their a difference???

Her stuffing..

A couple of bags of dry stuffing "stuff"
Jones Sausage..
Eggs..
Water..
POultry seasong and celery salt...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2011, 12:04 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,563,461 times
To me, stuffing is used to stuff the bird, dressing is baked in a pan outside the bird and served alongside. The makeup of it is immaterial.

My personal favorite is dressing, cornbread and sage dressing, to be specific. I learned it from my mom, who learned it from her southern-bred mom, etc. I don't even LIKE stuffing or dressing made with regular bread...too gummy.

Loosely, the cornbread and sage dressing entails:

A pan of savory (not sweet) southern-style cornbread baked in a pan greased with bacon grease for added flavor, crumbled up into crumbs.

Chicken or turkey stock to moisten

Chopped onions, celery, possibly shredded turkey or chicken, garlic, and crumbled sage

Old 07-23-2011, 12:08 PM

3,734 posts, read 4,546,199 times
I thought they were synonymous, but called by one name or the other depending on the part of the country you're in. For example, in the south, it's referred to as dressing, but in the NE it's stuffing.

Old 07-23-2011, 12:25 PM

4,053 posts, read 8,254,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
To me, stuffing is used to stuff the bird, dressing is baked in a pan outside the bird and served alongside. The makeup of it is immaterial.

My personal favorite is dressing, cornbread and sage dressing, to be specific. I learned it from my mom, who learned it from her southern-bred mom, etc. I don't even LIKE stuffing or dressing made with regular bread...too gummy.

Loosely, the cornbread and sage dressing entails:

A pan of savory (not sweet) southern-style cornbread baked in a pan greased with bacon grease for added flavor, crumbled up into crumbs.

Chicken or turkey stock to moisten

Chopped onions, celery, possibly shredded turkey or chicken, garlic, and crumbled sage
My mom makes this every Thanksgiving and Christmas. She makes her own chicken stock and then uses the chicken meat in the dressing. She also makes the cornbread a few days in advance so that it is extra dry to absorb the chicken stock.

It's the best in the world...but I think everyone believes their mom's is best!

Old 07-23-2011, 12:30 PM

2,053 posts, read 4,815,269 times
It is dressing for me, stuffing is awful!

Old 07-23-2011, 12:36 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,563,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by photobuff42 View Post
My mom makes this every Thanksgiving and Christmas. She makes her own chicken stock and then uses the chicken meat in the dressing. She also makes the cornbread a few days in advance so that it is extra dry to absorb the chicken stock.

It's the best in the world...but I think everyone believes their mom's is best!
Yeah, you have to bake the cornbread a couple of days earlier to get the right crumb consistency.

Old 07-23-2011, 10:27 PM

32,931 posts, read 36,341,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie1249 View Post
I thought they were synonymous, but called by one name or the other depending on the part of the country you're in. For example, in the south, it's referred to as dressing, but in the NE it's stuffing.
That how I see it; that's what I've heard and seen.

Old 07-23-2011, 11:16 PM

1,230 posts, read 3,175,851 times
Dressing, preferably my mom's..made from cornbread (unsweet of course...is there anything else), turkey broth (not from a box or can), water, onion, sage, celery, salt, pepper, meat from the neck of the turkey (I know sounds weird but its good) and a bit of white bread to hold it together

Old 07-24-2011, 10:14 AM

2,271 posts, read 2,650,101 times
As TabulaRasa said, stuffing is when it's cooked inside the bird and dressing is when it's cooked separately.

Stuffing, while it CAN be delicious has problems.
  1. It slows down the cooking time of the turkey.
  2. You can NOT use raw ingredients (meats, veggies, fruit, etc.,) when you make stuffing because it's a high risk health hazard for bacteria. Ingredients must be cooked before they're placed into the turkey. Thus, it's more time consuming.
  3. The turkey can NOT be stuffed the night before and baked the next day. This is an EXTREME health hazard!
  4. Most people tend to OVERSTUFF the turkey. This is a problem because the bird is often done before the stuffing is.
  5. If you want a juicy turkey, don't stuff it.
When you make dressing, you open yourself up to so many more flavor possibilities because you can use a wider variety of ingredients, including raw.

I've been making turkeys for over 25 years and I make them multiple times a year for different functions. I always have to bring along about 30 copies of the recipe because people always ask for it. The recipe isn't mine. I got it from a caterer friend many years ago when I woke up late and I was supposed to make Thanksgiving Dinner for the homeless! There wasn't time to cook the turkeys! When I called my caterer friend she gave me this recipe and it's been used ever since. It's the easiest, quickest and juiciest bird you'll ever have! It's called:

Two Hour Turkey - HONEST!
  • Put your turkey in a roasting pan and lightly coat with olive oil. Spice the skin how you like. I use garlic salt and black pepper.
  • Pour one can of chicken broth on the bottom of the pan. (Not over the turkey or you'll rinse off the spices.)
  • Bake uncovered at 450 degrees for one hour. The high heat sears the skin and seals in all the juices. No need to baste. Basting does nothing to the meat anyway.
  • After an hour, pour another can of chicken broth into the bottom of the pan (only if you make homemade gravy) and then turn the temperature down to 350 degrees for another hour.
  • After two hours, your turkey timer should be popped up! If it's not (usually because you have a huge bird) check it after an additional 15 minutes. I've never had a turkey take longer than 2 hours 15 minutes. (And that was a 22lb bird!)

This recipe will free up your oven for dressing, pies, casseroles, etc., I'm not usually a brand name loyalist but, when it comes to turkey, I always use Honeysuckle White.

Old 07-24-2011, 11:15 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,692,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caligula1 View Post
I know it's a bit early to ask about this..

Is there a differnce between the IN bird stuffing and an out of bird dressing..?

Is it all the same or different?

I had a little sort of arguement with Granny..She puts eggs in her "stuffing"

It makes it bread pudding like...

Without eggs..I never tried it yet..it would be "stuffing"

Is their a difference???

Her stuffing..

A couple of bags of dry stuffing "stuff"
Jones Sausage..
Eggs..
Water..
POultry seasong and celery salt...
Too early for what. We make a turkey or chicken with dressing about every month or two. No need to wait for the holidays. We like dressing because we usually have a ton of people to feed when we cook a turkey. A chicken is just to small to stuff. Plus IMO the birds cook better not stuffed with bread products.

Many many many recipes for stuffing and dressing. Its all in what you like. My kids and wife like oysters in their dressing.

I prefer them on the half shell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink