Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2011, 07:51 AM

4,160 posts, read 5,618,277 times

Advertisements

A few months ago I went to Ocean Prime in Tampa-2 people $200 It was great but I couldn't eat like that everyday-behind the big price tag, it was way to rich..but excellent food
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2011, 06:28 PM

584 posts, read 871,297 times
$340 for 2 people at the four seasons in NYC. The food and service was superb

Old 08-09-2011, 01:45 PM

28,353 posts, read 16,368,692 times
The most expensive dinner we've had was the Chef's Table dinner at The McNinch House here in Charlotte, NC. Chef?s Table, McNinch House Restaurant, Charlotte, NC

We did the wine pairing, so it was ~$200/person. Add in a couple of pre-dinner cocktails and it was over $200 a head. That said, the dinner was fantastic! The food was spectacular, as was the service. The head chef introduced each course and chatted with us about the preparations, ingredients, etc. The owner (who was the former chef of the restaurant) stopped by and chatted us up, as well.

It was truly a "dining experience" more than a simple dinner. I think it was 13 courses, if you include the amuse bouche that started us off. Not sure we'd do it again, but it was well worth it the first time around, IMO.

Old 08-09-2011, 01:54 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times
i was walking with my daughter on long beach island, nj where my family has had a summer house for about 18 years now. i remember when we moved there, there was this restaurant called green gables and they had a price fixed menu at $50 a person. there were no choices, you ate whatever they brought you (5 courses). we thought that was pretty expensive at the time. we went there a decent amount and we developed a list of things we didnt want that my mom would have to repeat whenever she made a reservation.

the price of meals with my parents quickly went up from there though. my mom liked taking the family to manhattan for a broadway show and a fancy dinner. i remember la grenouille, le cirque, les celebrites were some of the places.

now that im responsible for most of my own meals, i rarely spend that much on dinner. probably the most expensive dinner ive taken my wife to lately was david burke's fromagerie in rumson, nj. dont remember the cost though.

Old 08-09-2011, 02:18 PM

430 posts, read 1,694,328 times
My mother recently treated four of us to dinner at Morimoto in Philly, about $600 total including a generous tip (I was sitting next to her so saw the bill ;-)

The atmosphere was fun, the service was super attentive but not obnoxiously so, and the presentation of the food was very creative and beautiful. Some of the dishes that you'd think would be pretty standard (i.e. vegetable tempura, oysters, and tuna tartare) were outstanding, and some of the "fancy" food (i.e. Kobe beef) was not that special. It was a once in a lifetime experience and we were very appreciative. If it were *my* dime, I would have been just as happy at a good local sushi place where dinner for four runs closer to $60 total. :-)

Old 08-09-2011, 02:24 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times
a couple of years ago my dad took us all on a vacation to las vegas. i tried to not make reservations at places that were too pricey but i knew my brother and his girlfriend would like to go to fleur de lys. im pretty sure that was by far the most expensive meal of the trip. the food was very tasty but the portions were tiny and it was super expensive. my wife loved it but my younger brother (who is a big guy) said that if the entree was anything like the appetizer (sizewise) he would have cried when they put the plate down. fortunately, it wasnt sooooo tiny. just small.

ive eaten at plenty of french restaurants and plenty of places where people complain about the portion size. i usually find that even though something may be relatively small, its not super small and if you get at least 3 courses you end up full at the end of the meal. but that place was ridiculous.

Old 08-09-2011, 03:48 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,391,935 times
I actually don't know for sure. I've been to a lot of places where the bill was over $100 for two people. I'm a woman, so I didn't always pay. The place I've been to with the biggest tab is Tio Pepe's in Baltimore. But I went with a large group and drinks were imbibed.

It's a really nice restaurant and sort of like a grotto inside... Spanish (not Latin American) food. http://coloquio.com/coloquioonline/tiopepe.htm

Old 08-10-2011, 04:40 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,619,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
This for me as well, although after we added in the wine, it was around $500 pp.
Neither Hubby nor I drink alcohol so it makes those bills a lot easier to swallow ! Thank goodness for water !

Old 08-10-2011, 02:36 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times
Some unknown place in the countryside near Paris. Early 1970's. $30.00 for a cheese omlette. Nothing else. It wasn't even all that wonderful. But they saw the American tourists coming from miles away.

(I have no idea what that would be in today's dollars, but it felt like a couple hundred.)

Old 10-29-2013, 03:09 PM

43,620 posts, read 44,346,965 times
The most expensive restaurant that I have been to was the Rainbow Room in Manhattan as I was treated for my birthday at the time. I think the meal for two came out to somewhere between $100-$150. I do remember that the very thick steak that I had was very tasty and big enough for a "doggy" bag to take home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink