Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2011, 08:29 PM

1,739 posts, read 1,916,583 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Why don't you finish them in the oven?

Sautee them then turn up the heat to sear the outside then stick them in an over at 425° for about 20-25 minutes.

Actually I've done that and they are delish. What I do is chop 'em up however I want (I always leave the peals on) toss them in extra virgin olive oil (love that stuff) with salt and fresh rosemary and bake them until they are all carmelized nicely. Yummm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogmama50 View Post
The video left out one step. Soak, blanche, FREEZE and then fry.
Yes...I forgot about the freezing angle. I learned about that on my externship by the sous chef who was teaching me. And I remember his fries always came out perfectly.

What I want to do is make sweet potato fries tossed w/ truffle oil. OMG another restaurant I worked at did this and they are soooooo good. I wonder how much truffle oil costs. My first guess would be: a LOT lol

If it's prohibitive I'll try another flavored oil. Probably still get good results. But there is something special about truffle oil to be sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2011, 08:37 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,059,576 times
If you have a TJMaxx or Marshalls in your area they sometimes sell truffle oil in the little food section in the back, much less expensive than places like Whole foods. If you spring for the truffle oil then microplane some good parmesan cheese on top too.

Old 07-30-2011, 08:41 PM

Oh Gods...you're making me salivate Dogmamma lol

Actually I think we do have a TJMaxx here. but I always thought it was office supplies

Old 07-30-2011, 09:02 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,059,576 times
It's great on popcorn too!

Old 07-30-2011, 09:08 PM

oooohhh...I am SO going to remember these ideas..mmmm
Getting hungry here lol

Old 07-31-2011, 05:47 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
I made them tonight using the combo of peanut oil and canola. I tried the salt and had the oil between 375 and 400. They still were not really crispy and I think I figured out why (maybe?) I did them in batches of course, I put them in the overn at 200 degrees while i did the rest, plus the okra and fish. When they went into the overn they were fine, when they came out they were a little limp. I think the idea of finishing them in a hot oven would be better. I will try that next time.

nita

Old 08-01-2011, 08:42 AM

4,885 posts, read 7,288,355 times
I learned this from my MIL many years ago. Cut your potatoes and rinse with cold water. Drain excess water and then dust your potatoes with a little flour. The flour coats the potato and provides a lite crust. The more flour, the more crust. Put the udsted potaotes in hot oil. I grew up on a farm and married a farmer. I have fried probably a million potatoes. The kind of oil really does not matter. What is important is temperature. The oil needs to be hot when the potato goes in. i have found that using an electric skillet produces the best fries, other than a deep frier. Heat is more consistent with an electric skillet than with a fryig pan.

Old 08-01-2011, 08:49 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hey teach View Post
I learned this from my MIL many years ago. Cut your potatoes and rinse with cold water. Drain excess water and then dust your potatoes with a little flour. The flour coats the potato and provides a lite crust. The more flour, the more crust. Put the udsted potaotes in hot oil. I grew up on a farm and married a farmer. I have fried probably a million potatoes. The kind of oil really does not matter. What is important is temperature. The oil needs to be hot when the potato goes in. i have found that using an electric skillet produces the best fries, other than a deep frier. Heat is more consistent with an electric skillet than with a fryig pan.
thanks, that makes good sense, I will give it a try next time.

Nita

Old 08-01-2011, 09:10 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,701,448 times
Ok so after reading all these great suggestions and gleaning info off the Internet I've come to the conclusions:

Peel, Cut-the thinner the better, Soak in brine until they start to sink, drain on paper towels,Blanch fry at 325 until just semi cooked about two minutes, drain on butcher paper, cool for two-three minutes, dust VERY lightly in a coating of flour, freeze, Final fry at 350-375 in food grade beef tallow.

Or just go get some twice cooked fries at In and Out.

Haven't tried the top conclusion but I'm sure it would be fantastic but to damn time expensive for french fried potatoes. Well unless I was cooking for a bunch of sailors on an Aircraft Carrier.

I've come to the conclusion that somethings just are not worth the effort or time to do at home because of economies of scale. Perfect french fries are one of them.

Back to skillet potatoes.

Old 08-02-2011, 01:32 PM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
I have seen on TV that many restaurants cook fries in 2 steps. They fry them once, rest them, and then cook them again just to crisp them before serving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink