Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 07:59 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
We're having a large BBQ/party this weekend and I was going to deep fry some fries & rings. What kind of oil do you think tastes best?

I tested it out yesterday with vegetable (soy) oil and although the taste wasn't bad, I think it can be better.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
I have read over and over, peanut oil works the best, but I am not sure how much difference it really makes. I use a combo of peanut and corn oil.

Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2011, 08:00 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
Peanut oil is tasty. However, since it's a party, there might be a guest that has an allergy to peanuts. If you know everyone well enough.....go with peanut oil

Yeah, I second the skip the saffron oil!
good thought.

Old 08-03-2011, 08:07 AM

7,796 posts, read 16,400,337 times
I don't believe any of our guests have a peanut allergy, but there are 20 + kids attending, so I don't know if it's worth risking it. We're doing a Spongebob theme and I set things up like The Krusty Krab: Krabby Patties (burgers), Salty Sea Dogs (hot dogs), Sailors Surprise (sausage), Coral Bits (french fries) and Kelp Rings (onion rings).

Thank you for all the suggestions! I'll have to see what I can find. I'll keep you guys posted.

Old 08-03-2011, 08:22 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,505,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
Of course you want them to come out perfect for this weekend, so this is my suggestion:

Come to my house. Make your fries and onion rings in a variety of different oils. Try all of them!

Then -- and here's the important part -- I'll taste-test each batch and tell you which one came out the best.

Great idea, right?
Dawnie has the best ideas except that she forgot I MUST be part of the testing group.

I'd also recommend peanut oil. Or you could try grapeseed.

Old 08-03-2011, 08:42 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,032,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
Dawnie has the best ideas except that she forgot I MUST be part of the testing group.
That part was assumed! Of course!

Old 08-03-2011, 08:55 AM

1,853 posts, read 9,688,401 times
Since there are going to be over 20 kids there, I would also buy some funnel cake batter, and mix it with powdered Kool-Aid for DEEP FRIED KOOL-AID. Deep-Fried Kool-Aid Balls the Latest Taste Sensation I would call them Barnacle bites for your party.

We have restaurant supply stores that carry Corn dog batter, onion ring batter, funnel cake batter, and other mixes. I'm not sure what you would have by you.

Old 08-03-2011, 09:34 AM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,164,711 times
Oh, I forgot to mention - the first frying in a batch is not as tasty as subsequent fryings. The flavor of the oil doesn't really start to develop until the second frying. You could give the first batch to some kids or someone who won't notice the flavor as much.

Old 08-03-2011, 09:45 AM

7,796 posts, read 16,400,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by South Range Family View Post
Since there are going to be over 20 kids there, I would also buy some funnel cake batter, and mix it with powdered Kool-Aid for DEEP FRIED KOOL-AID. Deep-Fried Kool-Aid Balls the Latest Taste Sensation I would call them Barnacle bites for your party.

We have restaurant supply stores that carry Corn dog batter, onion ring batter, funnel cake batter, and other mixes. I'm not sure what you would have by you.

Ohhhh...you're evil!!!

We do have a restaurant supply store not to far from us!!! Hmmm...I'm gonna' have to throw that one by my hubby to see what he thinks!?!

Old 08-03-2011, 10:45 AM

1,075 posts, read 4,311,148 times
My vote is peanut oil also.

A friend who happens to own a popular restaurant says the trick to great fries is to fry them twice, in peanut oil. First time until wilty or kind of soggy, put aside to cool and then re-fry to crisp.

He does make great fries.

Old 08-03-2011, 11:01 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
Of course you want them to come out perfect for this weekend, so this is my suggestion:

Come to my house. Make your fries and onion rings in a variety of different oils. Try all of them!

Then -- and here's the important part -- I'll taste-test each batch and tell you which one came out the best.

Great idea, right?

Gives me a weird idea for an art project. (Hey, there's a so-called artist who does this so-called art thing by hosting beer parties with invited friends, then displaying the empty bottles as an "art installation" which the public gets to see for an admission charge. He's been doing this for 40 years now. That's a lot of free beer he's gotten out of it.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink