Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2020, 10:00 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,701,807 times

Advertisements

I personally don't think organic is worth it because it depends on the environment and how it is produced. What good are grass fed or Pasteur raised animals when the feed is not good quality. Some countries have very good natural soil which gives them very good produce and the animals raised at those places are much better quality.

For example, chicken is much better just about any country than the US. I've had chicken in Europe and in Asia. The flavor is much more potent than chicken here organic or not doesn't matter.

Beef is another thing, even a good ribeye. US beef just doesn't match up with even Australian beef in flavor.

Organic or not doesn't make that huge a difference compared to certain regional produced foods.

Organic Fuji Apple produced here will never be better than Fuji Apple grown in Japan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2020, 10:06 AM

19,028 posts, read 27,592,838 times
Donno about organic, but whatever we grow in our garden, tastes superior to anything, bought in store. Even flowers smell, as they should.

Old 09-28-2020, 02:42 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,353,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDM66 View Post
Oh gee, you really drank the Kool-Aid.

Reality check: Most of the organic food found in grocery stores today is the product of huge industrial farms--and they're ran the same way as all industrial farms. All of the bogus advertising, marketing and hype is designed to make you believe that organic foods come from small family farms. It's not true at all, unless you're going to the farm and buying straight from the farmer.
Try to read harder before going on a condesceding rant.

My point was that it is not the fact that a food is organic that makes it taste good, but how it gets from the field to the table.

If you get your food from industrial farms 1,000+ miles away, it is going to be inferior regardless of how it is grown.

The vast majority of organic food I eat happens to come from farms in my county or adjacent counties. It is fresh, it tastes good. I also buy conventionally grown produce from local farms. I don't discriminate, it tastes just as good.

But local produce is easier to get where I live in New York than where I live in New Mexico. However, right now is green chile season where I am. I am stocking up on organic chile from Lemitar, about an hour drive away. Picked yesterday, roasted this morning.

Old 09-28-2020, 06:43 PM

1,116 posts, read 1,133,297 times
Tomatoes. I grew my own for years. Then we moved. I've had no luck growing them where we live now. Store bought tomatoes are awful. I don't know if store bought organic would really be better.

Old 09-28-2020, 06:47 PM

986 posts, read 1,666,301 times
Romaine lettuce. I find that the non-organic romaine is "tough" and stringy.

Old 09-28-2020, 08:37 PM

17,179 posts, read 15,382,471 times
I don't know if it's the fact that it's organic or just the stores that sell them, but the organic foods I've been buying from Whole Foods seem to, for the most part, taste better than the non-organic products I've gotten from other stores. Chicken, tomatoes, cucumbers, lemons, etc.

Old 09-29-2020, 10:27 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,701,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
I don't know if it's the fact that it's organic or just the stores that sell them, but the organic foods I've been buying from Whole Foods seem to, for the most part, taste better than the non-organic products I've gotten from other stores. Chicken, tomatoes, cucumbers, lemons, etc.
I've pointed out, it isn't because they are organic. It's because they are produced with high quality soils than most non-organic lower grade soils. You're just getting a better product doesn't necessarily mean organic is better than non-organic. People need to know the difference.

If I grow 2 sets of crops. One with non-organic feeds including pesticides. Another with just organic feeds and using natural pest deterrence. The main difference will be the non-organic produce will be bigger and more resistant to pests and mold. The organic crop will be smaller but more prone to bugs. As for taste, you may taste that organic stuff just taste more flavorful than the non-organic stuff but the difference is subtle.

All I'm saying it organic stuff is simply produced with higher care so it's a better product but doesn't mean there is a real big difference overall.

There are higher quality non-organic vegetables that can beat any organic ones but why would someone pay for non-organic high quality tomatoes? "Organic" has become a new way for farmers to sell more premium stuff but doesn't mean organic is higher quality.

The only real difference would be found in milk, meats, and animal products than plant products.

Old 10-03-2020, 11:47 AM

735 posts, read 452,584 times
I’ve started eating organic/wild-caught/grass-fed (when I cook at home or when having a choice at the restaurant) produces/fishes/meats when I found out I was pregnant, and continued to do so. I can definitely tell the difference, especially fruits like apples, berries, nectarines, even bananas. Organic chicken and grass-fed beef are definitely more tasty.

Old 10-03-2020, 07:46 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,574,122 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_IoNQHMFLk

Old 10-03-2020, 11:21 PM

5 posts, read 1,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul
Do not really notice a difference.........the foods I eat appeal to me, organic or not.
Alot of stuff YES it does taste better
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink