Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2013, 08:17 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,419,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarragon View Post
Back when I was a kid, there wasn't any such thing as "expiration" dates for food and several years later, my generation is still alive.
There still isn't any such thing as expiration dates, just a big misunderstanding.

The only packaged food with an actual expiration date on it is baby formula. And in some areas, a few fresh foods may have a Use By: date. But 99.9% of the dates on food items are freshness dates, not expiration dates. And even Sell By: dates take into account normal storage times in people's homes, so fresh milk, for example is expected to be fresh for at least 7 days after the sell by date, and some dairies even guarantee 8 days or your money back. Canned goods are typically dated 2 years after processing, but are actually healthy and wholesome for many years afterwards.

The dates on foods are primarily there for stock control purposes, so the newest stock can be shelved behind the older stock. They used to be in code until consumer groups demanded they be printed in open dating. THAT confused people, who interpret them now as expiration dates, but they aren't.

Last edited by OpenD; 06-22-2013 at 08:27 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2013, 07:23 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,571,500 times
Default Food News, Food expired? Don't be so quick to toss it

I buy day old food all the time and even can goods that are 6 months old.

News, Use-by dates are contributing to millions of pounds of wasted food each year.
A new report from the Natural Resources Defense Council and Harvard Law School's Food Law and Policy Clinic says Americans are prematurely throwing out food, largely because of confusion over what expiration dates actually mean.

Food expired? Don't be so quick to toss it - CNN.com

Old 09-19-2013, 07:41 PM

41,938 posts, read 75,137,295 times
Preach it. I'm shocked at how much food we waste.

For instance, non-perishable foods are just that: non-perishable. Unless they're moldy or have bugs, dry perishable foods are OK to eat. Unless canned foods are bulging or rusted, or spurt or foam when they're opened, they're safe to eat.

It's stupid to throw away perfectly decent food.

Old 09-19-2013, 09:49 PM

4,899 posts, read 6,220,652 times
I would like to know which 9 states don't have food dating rules.

Old 09-19-2013, 10:09 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,344,416 times
Out of code? Out of the house!

Old 09-20-2013, 12:57 AM

19,968 posts, read 30,197,397 times
pickles have a use-by date, as does beer, and most things in a grocery stores..

and yes, you would be appalled at what grocery stores throw away, because of dating..

many stores have very very strict policies for "outdated" products-throw them out

years ago, some store would have a "reduce bin" for damaged or outdated items on the cheap 1/2 price or more,,,(this is not items "still in date" they are after the expiration date on package)
most stores have stopped this because of liability-just one person claims to get sick and sue's the store-

most stores do have an on-going mark-downs of items BEFORE it goes out of date-you can get some great deals

back in the day, i was a meat manager for a chain store, I would reduce items up to the date of sell (or expiration date)
but once the date arrived, i HAD to throw it out-there were days i was throwing out perfectly good meats-because of expiration dates-
the company was very strict on shrink procedures- a person would get fired if caught redating meats, or grinding older steaks into burger
so, that just left reducing items,,,and throwing them out, before the date on the package
employees did not get discounts- i couldnt bundle the items and sell to whoever i wanted and couldnt give to a soup kitchen (liability, stores are anal about liability-but just one person gets sick and its food from that store- it kills the business-if it hits the papers)

I remember my grandmother wouldnt throw anything out there was no "ick" factor in her generation, she went thru the depression.

now, most of us are hyper-sensitive

Old 09-20-2013, 09:51 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,419,952 times
The article itself contributes to the confusion by using the term "Expired" in the headline, and "Expiration Date" in the copy, even as they try to explain these are not expiration dates and are merely freshness dating for inventory control.

As I have said before, there is only one packaged food in a supermarket that has an actual expiration date, and that is infant formula. Everything else is really a Best If Used By date, and it is absolutely criminal how much perfectly good food gets wasted because people don't understand that fact.

I volunteer sometimes at a community food pantry, where one day I found that another volunteer was industriously going through all the shelves of canned goods, reading the freshness dates, and throwing cans that were past that date into a garbage can. The can was almost full, despite there being no good reason to discard the food, especially at a time when the resources of the pantry were being hard pressed by increased need. It took some fast work on my part to pull up the necessary references online to prove to the director how misguided this action was, and to catch all that perfectly good food and return it to the shelves before it wound up in the dumpster.

Old 09-20-2013, 10:54 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,258,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
pickles have a use-by date, as does beer, and most things in a grocery stores..

and yes, you would be appalled at what grocery stores throw away, because of dating..

many stores have very very strict policies for "outdated" products-throw them out

years ago, some store would have a "reduce bin" for damaged or outdated items on the cheap 1/2 price or more,,,(this is not items "still in date" they are after the expiration date on package)
most stores have stopped this because of liability-just one person claims to get sick and sue's the store-

I hit the salvage stores all the time and buy "past dated" groceries. Last year, I bought two cases of Perrier and San Pellegrino water for 0.15-0.25 ea.

Last week, I bought a banana box filled with Meijer Organics with expiration dates 7-13 to 11-13 from a place in Indiana. I have no problems with the products at all, especially at 25-40 cents on the dollar.

The waste of food in this country is an absolute disgrace. Throwing away good food due to an arbitrary date is a complete waste.

Old 09-20-2013, 11:04 AM

11,479 posts, read 9,135,962 times
no mold? i'm sold.

Old 09-20-2013, 12:31 PM

5,456 posts, read 8,168,222 times
Apparently the study says that because of food thrown out because of expiration dates: "As a result, about 160 billion tons of food are wasted every year." Harvard Study Connects Food Waste To Food Expiration Dates « CBS Boston

160 billion tons is 320 trillion pounds.

That's 1,000,000 pounds of food thrown out every year because of expiration dates for every man, woman and child in the United States.

I don't believe it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink