Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2011, 07:47 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times

Advertisements

I don't much care, except I LOVE gemelli in pasta salads because it does not get all floppy...it keeps its firmness. Its sort of hard to find, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2011, 08:40 AM

16,904 posts, read 16,127,347 times
......and Angel Hair

Old 08-13-2011, 09:17 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,701,448 times
Costco has Garofalo the best comercial dried pasta in the world direct form Italy. IMHO

The six pack vareity contains gemelli.

Casarecce is another favorite of mine.

Garofalo*-*La pasta di Gragnano *-*home

Old 08-13-2011, 10:10 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Pastas are so versatile. Besides the usual spaghetti, what are your favorites and how do you use them? I use whole wheat most of the time....for creamy sauces & hot dishes or bakes I like penne, ziti, linguini....for cold salads: bow ties, small shells, orzo & rotini. And, you cannot NOT like alphabets...!

The colored pasta with veggie powders I like but not sure they actually have a significant amt. of the veggie? anyone know? and how to prevent loss of color when cooking?

I am guessing the colored ones have about a timble full of veggies in them, but they ae pretty. I use my pasta about the same way you do. Penne is my favorite overall. It si more versatile, followed by old fashion spaghetti. Whole wheat is great (though again, not really all that filled with whole wheat) and of course it is much pricier. I like all sauses, but my favorite is a tomato cream sause.

NIta

Old 08-13-2011, 02:48 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,859,243 times
That is what I think too, just a tad of veggie powder in the tri-colored.

Hmm...correct me if I am wrong.. I have some whole wheat rigatoni....the ingredients are: whole wheat durum semolina. That is it.....would you not consider this ALL ww??

I bought it for $1.25/16 oz...organic and imported from Italy....at a store like Big Lots...sometimes I can find it less expensive than in a grocery store.

This talk makes me crave a pasta dish....

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I am guessing the colored ones have about a timble full of veggies in them, but they ae pretty. I use my pasta about the same way you do. Penne is my favorite overall. It si more versatile, followed by old fashion spaghetti. Whole wheat is great (though again, not really all that filled with whole wheat) and of course it is much pricier. I like all sauses, but my favorite is a tomato cream sause.

NIta

Old 08-13-2011, 03:35 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,059,576 times
I'm with Bulldogdad on the Garofalo brand sold at Costco. Fantastic flavor.

My favorite quick pasta sauce is made while the pasta is boiling. Whisk together in a large bowl 2 egg yolks, juice of 1 lemon, zest of 1 lemon, a few cloves of roasted garlic mashed into a paste, some olive oil, salt, pepper and chili flakes. Drain the pasta, toss it in the bowl with the sauce. If I have leftover shrimp, chicken, calamari, veggies it goes in too.

When I have fresh tomatoes in the summer there's nothing like barely sauteed tomatoes, garlic, chili flakes and olive oil tossed with pasta and fresh basil.

Last edited by Dogmama50; 08-13-2011 at 03:36 PM.. Reason: can't spell

Old 08-13-2011, 03:40 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
Mini penne is a staple in my pantry. It holds up to any sauce and works in cassarole dishes. Plus it's easier to eat than thin spaghetti, which is my second favorite pasta shape and also a staple. Between those two I can cook anything. Pasta isn't really all that bad for you if you sauce it right and use it as a side to something like a piece of fish or meat insteading of eating a giant bowl of it like most people do.

Old 08-13-2011, 07:19 PM

238 posts, read 227,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post

The colored pasta with veggie powders I like but not sure they actually have a significant amt. of the veggie? anyone know? and how to prevent loss of color when cooking?
The Ronzoni actually have a whole serving of veggies in each portion. I can find them on sale for 49cents each here at our Kroger- to me that's a pretty good deal since I can't get the fam- including me- to like the whole wheat pasta.

I have yet to meet a pasta shape I can't find something to do with. It's all good (except whole wheat- and that's more a texture thing than a taste thing).

Old 08-13-2011, 08:49 PM

627 posts, read 1,295,879 times
I made some Rotelle today in a spicy curry sauce with mushrooms, corn, peas and carrots...

OMG, it was delicious!

I love all Pasta but I also love the Asian style noodles -

Rice Noodles!

Buckwheat Noodles!

They cook pretty fast and they are good for you!

Old 08-14-2011, 11:41 AM

51,691 posts, read 15,694,782 times
I LOVE pasta. Ditalini or Orzo I use in soups and for my homemade sauce it depends what kind of mood I'm in..lol.. one night could be Rigatoni,Bow ties, Penne Rigati or Ziti and if I'm making a pesto sauce then cavatappi or gemelli's are what I use. Elbows of course are for macaroni salad and tri-color pasta is for cold pasta salads. Did I mention lasagna?..um,um good..love those flat pasta noodles with all the yummy fixin's inside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink