Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 02:10 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,894,483 times

Advertisements

I just had to throw that out there. To my understanding, this is a New Orleans-originated southern dish. But nearly every Chinese restaurant, and EVERY "chinese" buffet serves it.

This seems to have started in the 90s, but it's still going strong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2011, 02:12 PM

16,904 posts, read 16,123,046 times
I cannot stand that Bourbon Chicken! You are so right-on, Tracy!
Lordy, throw that crap in the garbage!

Last edited by rainroosty; 08-24-2011 at 02:33 PM..

Old 08-24-2011, 02:20 PM

275 posts, read 396,781 times
Yep, most of the "Chinese" restaurants in the US are actually "Chinese-American" and are aimed at American tastes with little do with Chinese cuisine. I began looking at nutritional information on popular "Chinese" chains, and I was shocked: I be just as well off eating at McDonalds! (If I ate meat, that is!)

Old 08-24-2011, 02:21 PM

Aside from not being even remotely Chinese or even Asian (or even actual chicken) it's usually terrible. Stringy, grizzly, slimy dark-meat chicken that they try to disguise by not-very-Cajun-flavored Cajun sauce.

Old 08-24-2011, 02:29 PM

18,950 posts, read 11,591,053 times
I've only ever seen that in food courts where there's a "cajun" place and a "chinese" place right next to each other and they're both run by the same people.

Old 08-24-2011, 02:33 PM

I've seen those too in the malls. Very weird combination of cultures, I've gotta say!

But this bourbon chicken phenomenon has also made its way into our local "good" chinese restaurants around here. I don't think we have chain Chinese places around here, except PF Changs. I guess they are in other parts of the country.

Old 08-24-2011, 02:39 PM

18,950 posts, read 11,591,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
I've seen those too in the malls. Very weird combination of cultures, I've gotta say!

But this bourbon chicken phenomenon has also made its way into our local "good" chinese restaurants around here.
Really? Like better table service restaurants and not just take out joints? That's weird. And yes, the whole combo even at the mall is bizarre to me. Although, I gotta say - at the mall I do get the bourbon chicken! With green beans and steamed rice. Shhh...don't tell!

Old 08-24-2011, 02:42 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,500,274 times
I don't see it at the good Chinese restaurants here. I've never been to a Chinese buffet that wasn't nasty though. They may have it at those.

I stick to the little mom and pop hole in the wall restaurants.

Old 08-24-2011, 02:42 PM

Yep, I just went to a fairly decent Chinese restaurant where you can have a nice dinner with cloth napkins, table cloths, BYOB, etc, and they had it.

Sheesh. I guess there are people out there who had it in the mall and think it's actual Chinese food, and they started asking for it, so it was added to the menu.

I'm gonna go to a nice French restaurant and ask why they don't have French toast until they cave-in and add it to the menu!

Old 08-24-2011, 04:56 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,939,765 times
Talking With that you get eggroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
Yep, I just went to a fairly decent Chinese restaurant where you can have a nice dinner with cloth napkins, table cloths, BYOB, etc, and they had it.
When I was a little kid going out to eat in a Chinese restaurant was a real treat. Yes, the restaurants were really nice with an exotic decor, full of dragons, carved screens and tasseled lanterns. In those days our favorite dishes were things like shrimp in lobster sauce, roast pork with Chinese vegetables, egg foo young, chow mein, sweet and sour chicken, moo goo gai pan, Buddha's Delight, etc.

Those places still exist, but you have took for them.

Just a few weeks ago I found one while driving back from Atlantic City to Philadelphia: New Chinatown Restaurant on Route 30 (White Horse Pike) in Berlin, New Jersey. The hostess was actually wearing a formal Chinese silk "Suzy Wong" type dress with mandarin collar. The food was great - but let's get this straight - this was the Americanized "Cantonese Cuisine" of my childhood, NOT authentic Chinese food. You get to choose from column "A" and from column "B" ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink