Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2011, 10:04 PM

16,904 posts, read 16,127,347 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyandcloudydays View Post
No it was not the pop cans (soda) It was the Hawiian punch and HI C
Funny thing is my Ma did not buy alot of pop either but I did work in a grocery store!

My dad was not a big drinker but he always had a can of beer in a spare fridge I guess for when his friends would come over - he barely drank but I remember once he let me sip the can of beer and I loved it I think it was a schlitz or something odd goodness that was in the early 70's
Any way my point was the cans you had to take the tab off and then some people would put the tabs in the can.. Geez times have changed.

I love these walks down the old memory lane they make me feel good !
I remember when all the cans had to be opened with a can opener.......
Oh how I do appreciate when the canned foods have a pop top!
My beefaroni....wow! Nirvana!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2011, 11:48 PM

32,936 posts, read 36,359,395 times
I enjoyed making it more than eating it, the taste. When I was a little kid, I was just happy to be able to prepare something to eat on my own. They also made a milkshake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by debzkidz View Post
Oh I remember Shake-a-puddin. I remember nagging my mom to buy it for me for the longest time. She finally gave in and bought it. I thought it was so cool to make it, but I didn't like the taste at all. I don't know why I thought I would because I never liked pudding as a kid. I guess I just thought anything I could shake like that would taste better. Guess I was wrong. Mom was sure to let me know it too.

I vaguely remember Fizzies. I didn't like them either. I never liked any of those things most kids liked.

Old 08-30-2011, 12:08 AM

32,936 posts, read 36,359,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
Kickapoo Joy Juice?
Yep, remember that too.

Old 08-30-2011, 09:55 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,856,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post
I remember when all the cans had to be opened with a can opener.......
Oh how I do appreciate when the canned foods have a pop top!
My beefaroni....wow! Nirvana!

Hunts Snak Pak pudding was the first pop top can I can remember. It had a warning on it: DO NOT LICK LID. We used to take it in school lunches.

Old 08-30-2011, 10:19 AM

9,238 posts, read 22,899,573 times
A lot of those hard-to-find candies from "the olden days" are still available from Vermont Country Store. I get their catalogue all the time, but there's the website:

Old Fashioned Candy | Old Fashioned Chocolate

Old 08-30-2011, 10:25 AM

4,030 posts, read 10,764,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
A lot of those hard-to-find candies from "the olden days" are still available from Vermont Country Store. I get their catalogue all the time, but there's the website:

Old Fashioned Candy | Old Fashioned Chocolate
Cracker Barrel also has lots of candies from the past.

Old 08-30-2011, 11:49 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,856,485 times
My brother and I used to have Astronaut Parties when we were little. We sprinkled Tang on buttered toast and cut it into triangles. We ate Space Food Sticks and drank Moon Juice and played with our Major Matt Mason action figures.

Old 08-30-2011, 02:51 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,887,682 times
When I was a kid a bakery truck used to deliver to our farm. My favorite, which you can't find any more, were the powdered sugar coated jelly-filled donuts. Today, you can get powdered sugar covered, but they have pudding or creme or whatever inside, and you can get jelly filled, but they have regular sugar on them. Why is that?
My husband was JUST saying the other day how he remembers pop in machines that had a lever you pushed down to open the can with. I don't remember that, I remember beer needing a "church key", but not pop in machines that had to be opened. I also remember pop tops. My husband remembers those REAL well, as he swallowed one one time. Yep, like somebody said earlier, he popped the top, and dropped it in the can. And then drank it.

Old 08-30-2011, 02:58 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs.cool View Post
When I was a kid a bakery truck used to deliver to our farm. My favorite, which you can't find any more, were the powdered sugar coated jelly-filled donuts. Today, you can get powdered sugar covered, but they have pudding or creme or whatever inside, and you can get jelly filled, but they have regular sugar on them. Why is that?
My husband was JUST saying the other day how he remembers pop in machines that had a lever you pushed down to open the can with. I don't remember that, I remember beer needing a "church key", but not pop in machines that had to be opened. I also remember pop tops. My husband remembers those REAL well, as he swallowed one one time. Yep, like somebody said earlier, he popped the top, and dropped it in the can. And then drank it.
yep, and in So Ca we had Helm's bakery trucks, everyday when I was a kid, about twice a week when I had my own kids and now, they have been gone for ages.

Nita

Old 08-30-2011, 03:01 PM

3,522 posts, read 6,102,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
Hunts Snak Pak pudding was the first pop top can I can remember. It had a warning on it: DO NOT LICK LID. We used to take it in school lunches.
Too funny I remember those - were they not the smallest cans of pudding in the world - seems like you had to eat several just to get full
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink