Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2011, 06:38 PM

3,522 posts, read 6,101,688 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tia 914 View Post
sure there are still t.v. dinners

re: Jiffy Pop-- I've never especially loved popcorn, but back when I got my first apartment I found those Jiffy Pop pans were much more economical than going to a department store and buying real cookware

also, what you said about packaging-- I'm still kinda stunned every time I buy a regular-sized Hershey bar these days and see instructions on how to open it!!!
I kinda figure anyone who is old enough to read the instructions already knows how to open a candy bar!!
LOL
The popcorn was probably easier too vs. storing a bunch of pots and pans.

Probably some person filed a lawsuit choking on paper or something (candy Wrapper)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2011, 08:31 PM

1,053 posts, read 3,367,969 times
Anybody remember these? Kind of like a Mallow Cup but a little more runny... they were delicious.

Old Fashioned Candy- VALOMILK Sweet Memories - YouTube

Old 08-30-2011, 08:36 PM

20,048 posts, read 18,303,705 times
RC Cola in the bottles.

Not a food, but missed!

Old 08-30-2011, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by picklejuice View Post
RC Cola in the bottles.

Not a food, but missed!
We used to put shelled salted peanuts in them...

Old 08-30-2011, 09:16 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,965,703 times
[quote=baker Freesia;20656576]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyandcloudydays View Post
what were doo dads? I remember the name i am 42 so i am sure they were around but i cant for the life of me remember them.

doo-dads came in a box about the size of a small rice box, anyway,, the contents in the box of doo-dads had a variety of assortment of teeny tiny bagel chips, pretzel,oval shaped cheese flavor cracker, & peanuts,, & I can't think of what else it may have had,, but oh I like 'em. They were good snacks for around the table when company came over to play cards.
I would eat the pretzels first!

Old 08-30-2011, 09:30 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,357,132 times
OMG! Who remembers those, horrible, fudgie FOOD STICKS? I was going to be the first female astronaut, so of course, I had to eat those all the time! The "ultimate" 60's food. Along with Jiffy popcorn, in the rainbow colors. And another favorite...Sasparilla, they still sold that in stores...back then..

Old 08-30-2011, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
OMG! Who remembers those, horrible, fudgie FOOD STICKS? I was going to be the first female astronaut, so of course, I had to eat those all the time! The "ultimate" 60's food. Along with Jiffy popcorn, in the rainbow colors. And another favorite...Sasparilla, they still sold that in stores...back then..
They came in a tin and I only ate the chocolate ones... if there was nothing else around.

Old 08-30-2011, 10:13 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,161,809 times
There were some local specialties in parts of the Northeast where I grew up that might still be around there (I don't know), but not out here on the West Coast.

Salt Water Taffy

Washed Cheese Curds - I think these were only in upstate NY

Salt potatoes - a package of small potatoes sold with a full pound of salt. One made a brine with the salt and cooked all the potatoes in it, then drained them and served them slathered with butter. VERY distinctive, not too salty but just right, much creamier than potatoes made other ways.

Tomato pies - soft thick pizza shell with only tomato sauce and a small sprinking of parmesan - beloved of children for some reason, available at all small Italian food stores where the owner's wife baked up some daily.

There weren't many highly processed foods in my childhood other than ice cream!

Someone mentioned TV dinners - they used to be in aluminum heavy foil plates, and cooked in the regular oven. Now of course they are not called "tv dinners", they're in plastic and made to be microwaved only, and are relatively expensive for a full meal size compared to back then. Hungry Man dinners used be enough to satisfy a hungry man!

Old 08-30-2011, 11:47 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,042,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Town&Country View Post
Anybody remember these? Kind of like a Mallow Cup but a little more runny... they were delicious.

Old Fashioned Candy- VALOMILK Sweet Memories - YouTube
I don't remember those at all. They do look delicious! I missed out on a very good thing.

I always loved and still do love Mallow Cups.....didn't miss out on those!

I remember saving up the cardboard that the cup sat on in the wrapper......but I can't remember what we saved them for. Free Mallow Cups maybe? I think they had a coin printed on them: one cent, five cents, ten cents.

Old 08-30-2011, 11:51 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,042,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
..............snip
Someone mentioned TV dinners - they used to be in aluminum heavy foil plates, and cooked in the regular oven. Now of course they are not called "tv dinners", they're in plastic and made to be microwaved only, and are relatively expensive for a full meal size compared to back then. Hungry Man dinners used be enough to satisfy a hungry man!
I remember when we were kids we thought it was a real treat to get a TV dinner. LOL

Sometimes we got them on Mom's bowling night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink