Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 07:27 PM
B4U

3,612 posts, read 8,294,072 times

Advertisements

Where's Your Kitchen Trash Can?

On the floor, silly!

Mine's on the floor across from the fridge, and around the corner from the sink. My sink is diagonal, with a narrow cabinet to the right on an angle and the dishwasher's on the left on the same/opposing angle. So the can is around the corner on the right. Very convenient.
But it's not actually a garbage can. I wanted white to match things. So I had to think outside the box alittle. I wound up finding a diaper pail (remember them?) somewhere, that has a place where you step on it on the bottom and the lid flips up. So it's hands free and I don't have to look at or smell garbage. I line it with tall kitchen garbage bags.
I hope it never gets damaged or wears out, 'cause I know today I could never find one as good as this. It's one of the things I maintain with strick diligence!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2011, 07:30 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I don't think I've ever lived in a place where the designers gave any thought to the fact that the occupants might need to put a trash can somewhere near the kitchen. My current one is out in the hall, around the corner from the kitchen, in a traffic area. No matter where you put the trash, it's in the way. Or else inside a cupboard, behind a door that needs to be opened with a free hand, and then you forget to close it and trip over it.
I am a little strange: I keep a plastic bag in the one side of the sink and use it for garbage and trash until it is full, then it goes to the trash can in the laundry room or garage, depending what is in it.

Nita

Old 08-31-2011, 07:37 PM

10,782 posts, read 8,728,597 times
Ours is under the sink, attached to the door so when you open the cupboard door it swings out. It's not a bad concept but the door opens the wrong way for me if I'm standing at the counter where I prepare food. The door swings towards me and I'm in the way so I have to step out into the kitchen. Awkward and annoying.

Just sold our previous house a few months ago and that had the best setup - just nudge the cupboard with your knee and it slides out - the bin was in there. Didn't have to use my hands and it was located perfectly, but then we did design it that way.

I do like the old-fashioned heavy bins with the foot pedal though. I'd go for one of those except for the fact this current kitchen where we're living temporarily is too small to have a good spot for it to be tucked away in.

Old 08-31-2011, 08:13 PM

5,346 posts, read 9,856,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debzkidz View Post
I agree, builders obviously do not think about where to put a trash can. Mine sits against a wall between the kitchen and breakfast area. I hate having it right there, but there's no where else to put it. I did go buy a nice stainless steel one with a foot pedal. It's designed so that you can't see the bag, so it at least looks neat, without all the ugly white bags hanging out.
That sounds like the same trash can I have, and I do have a small cut out spot in my kitchen for a trash can.

Old 08-31-2011, 09:28 PM

560 posts, read 849,367 times
Under the kitchen sink, we have no room for it anywhere else. But it's small because we compost all of our fresh veggie parts, recycle glass, tin cans, aluminum, cardboard, plastic and keep paper for the woodstove.

Old 08-31-2011, 09:33 PM

37,104 posts, read 41,267,704 times
Mine is in its own lower cabinet near the sink, on a pullout tray.

Convenient for food prep, and I can use my toe to open the cabinet door and pull out the can if my hands are messy.

Old 09-01-2011, 04:03 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,628,555 times
Our trash can is in the kitchen , one of those pedal things but hardly anything goes into it as our local Council is excellent and we can recycle pretty much anything and they collect food waste also ( the one which can't be composted as we also have a composting bin in the garden).

We have a separate food bin for the food waste which is outside by our back door just outside the kitchen which the council collects every week. Our normal bin has almost become redundant . I estimate we recycle over 90% of our waste minimum.

Old 09-01-2011, 05:00 AM

4,196 posts, read 6,424,323 times
Ours is in the kitchen, theres a little nook where I believe the previous owners used to store a rolling island type thing.. (bar maybe)??
It's perfect for hiding it in plain sight.
We have a seperate bigger can outside the garage on the patio and then that huge green thing that goes to the curb.

I'm kinda weird when it comes to trash and have certin ways things get thrown away.
Recycle bin.
Coffee grounds and cat litter in a seperate grocery bag.
Bones and meat trimmings stay in the freezer until Garbage night, it's to hot and to many flies.
I can re-use my bags at least once most of the time.

Last edited by Caligula1; 09-01-2011 at 05:09 AM..

Old 09-01-2011, 05:31 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,032,639 times
This is currently my biggest problem in my new house.

In my previous house, we had to redo the kitchen when we moved in. I designed the new one and had a trash cabinet built in. Loved it!

The new house has a brand new kitchen. It's perfect in most ways (except I would have put in two pantries, like I'd done in my previous house, but I digress). The only truly imperfect thing is the trash cabinet -- it's only 8.5" wide. Unless I can fit all our trash in a sandwich baggie, this won't work . So, we're using that cabinet for recycling and bought a stainless steel trash can. But where to put it? There's only one kinda, sorta convenient place for it, but I don't love it there. Also, I'd like for my trash to be hidden in a cabinet, not on display in a steel cylinder... too many steps away from near the sink, where it's most convenient.

Old 09-01-2011, 05:38 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,192,887 times
In the .... kitchen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink