Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 02:52 PM

49,982 posts, read 63,301,795 times

Advertisements

I have a gripe with Publix. I refuse to buy meat at their delis because it takes about a half hour to do it. My previous grocery store, which was Buehlers, always very efficiently presliced the meats that were on special, as well as a few of the most popular hams, and turkey. Of course there were many other types that were sliced to order. It was always very fresh because it did so much business.
Publix typically has one or two slow moving ladies custom slicing everything, with 6 deep customers waiting. I will not waste that much time. I have written to Publix to express my displeasure, but never got a reponse. They would sell so much more at their deli if they expedited the experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2011, 02:58 PM

18,359 posts, read 31,439,029 times
Our deli where I work just got closed down by the dept of health.............we have a lot of unhappy, not to mention starving workers here...............

Old 09-06-2011, 02:59 PM

4,030 posts, read 10,713,176 times
One of our local supermarkets has it presliced in giant mounds in the deli case. It's nice when you're in a hurry, but you still have to wait your turn to get up to the counter to order it. I used to shop at HEB when I lived in Texas and they had several computer monitors around the deli, where you could just walk up, and place your order, then you just stopped back by the deli on your way to the checkout, and they had everyones orders ready and waiting in a basket. All you had to do was to remember to go back to the deli before you left. More than once I got home and realized I'd forgotten to pick up my order.

Old 09-06-2011, 03:58 PM

4,196 posts, read 6,384,292 times
I never ever have a problem with waiting for cold cuts, deli or bakey items to be bagged, sliced, scooped, or whatever.
I like dealing with people handling my food on a face to face basis. It allows me to build up a first name relationship. It comes with it's own perks.

Old 09-06-2011, 08:17 PM

61,103 posts, read 85,909,223 times
I don't think so, but they cut some before closing their department at 8 PM.
While open, they are pretty fast with the custom orders.

Old 09-06-2011, 08:28 PM
B4U

3,612 posts, read 8,258,813 times
I certainly don't want pre-sliced deli meat, thank you very much. For that I could buy pre-sliced from the meat & dairy depts from Oscar Meyer or Kraft, etc.

Lo-salt Ham, Roast Beef (not too rare), & Smoked Turkey Breast-shaved

German bologna, Genoa Salami, Proscitti (sp? black pepper-crusted ham), Soppressata, Prosciutto, Capicola, Pastrami & Lebanon Bologna - very thin

Swiss Cheese, Muenster, Provolone, Smoked Provolone, Cheddar, or Horseradish Cheddar - thin

American Cheese - regular (I only seem to use this for Grilled Cheese or Scrambled Eggs)

Liverwurst - they always seem to know the right setting

Pancetta - usually thick hunk to cut in chunks of varying sizes, for various recipes

The only thing I can't get here is Taylor Ham from the deli, and it's sorely missed. I make due with the 8 slice packages, but ...

I don't think I'd want my pre-sliced cold cuts either from the very top of the pile, exposed to whatever. Nor would I want them from the bottom of the pile-the oldest, maybe leftover from who-knows-when batch.

And, depending on what I'm using each for, sometimes I request by the weight; 1/2, 1LB., etc., and sometimes by the amount of slices. Like liverwurst. "4 slices, please." (3 for a sandwich, 1 for the dog! - He loves liverwurst)

Yes, I notice the counter is crowded, usually between 11am-2pm, when folks are on lunch break. So I stopped going then, and no-problem.

You also have to remember the store employees are on lunch during those same hours, so are probably short staffed. Or,

Down here, especially since the economy went bust, more retail employees are now part-time and many are retirees just looking for added income; aren't hustling to make a career of it, or work up the ranks. "My" people seem to work at a modest, but steady pace. And....give out FREE SAMPLES!

Publix associates are all (with few exceptions) part-time. Maybe only 4-6 hour shifts at most. And may be leaving around lunch with no overlap of the next bunch coming in. Can't really blame them for scheduling improperly.
Some are also seasonal and only work down here for 6 months, then go back up north, and have been doing so for years. That works for the employee, retailer, and the local economy. Unfortunately, that doesn't always accommodate the locals. We grin-and-bare it to live in "Paradise" year round, I suppose.
Plus, here, many of them-customers, are our neighbors, on vacation/seasonal, and aren't the hit-and-run, grab-and-go type customer and want that friendly atmosphere. I know I do for my specialty items, and I'm a year-round resident.
Otherwise, I go to the big box stores and get in and out, without needing assistance. But I can say: even the big box store deli s don't pre-slice their stuff either.

To each his own, but pre-sliced - not for me.

Old 09-06-2011, 08:37 PM

4,468 posts, read 7,964,153 times
We don't hae a deli? I don't count Walmart as a deli.
We have to drive 3 hours to ABQ to find one...
Can't even find Liver sausage or Braunschwager here in NM?
Another reason to head out ASAP.
HW

Old 09-06-2011, 09:59 PM

My deli has a large selection that you can have sliced any way you want, but they just have presliced smoked turkey, ham and roast beef, of their biggest sellers. It's sliced fresh everyday, often throughout the day. They just have some of their best sellers ready, if you want it. They are more than happy to custom slice whatever you would like.

Old 09-07-2011, 07:58 AM

2,637 posts, read 12,591,021 times
Publix does have pre-sliced meat in the cases near the deli counter. Me personally, if I want meat from the deli counter I want it sliced for me, in the thickness I prefer, but I will grab a pre-sliced pack if I am short on time.

Old 09-07-2011, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilli View Post
Publix does have pre-sliced meat in the cases near the deli counter. Me personally, if I want meat from the deli counter I want it sliced for me, in the thickness I prefer, but I will grab a pre-sliced pack if I am short on time.
My store does not prepackage it, and the presliced stuff is in the same deli case as the unsliced stuff. You still have to wait in line and tell the person behind the counter how much you want and they still have to weight it out. I would never buy the prepackaged stuff. I don't normally buy the pre-sliced from the deli either, mainly because they don't preslice the brand I prefer. I think they just pre-slice some of their best sellers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink